Why become a member? ×

Tablets Onstage

Yank

[quote name='Yank' timestamp='1483004644' post='3203987']
Where do you stand on using tablets onstage for words/chord changes? I'm in a new band where vocalists and guitarists use them. I'm old school and prefer to memorize my parts.
[/quote]

I suspect this thread is going to go the same way as the infamous debate on music stands!

For my own ha'porth, at a jazz jam a couple of years ago, I found a tablet with an electronic copy of the Real Book was a lot easier than frantically trying to flip through an original Real Book and rebalance the thing on the stand. But that's a situation where you might reasonably expect some people to be using a music stand anyway.

On the other hand, most rock bands live or die by their ability to engage with their audience. In those situations, staring at a tablet for your chords is a bit like putting the privacy screen down in a taxi and then wondering why your conversation with the driver is cut short!

Our lead vocalist has just started using one. I'm not keen and prefer, as do you, to try and memorise my parts. I do have some songs where I have a bit of mental block and will write a couple of words (for when I'm singing) or a note or two on the set list next to the relevant tune. I think with the scrolling feature on the tablet solution, there is a tendency to look at it more, much in the same way that an active television screen attracts the eye.

Personally, I don't like them, but I'm sure many on here will see them as just another tool to aid performance.

In my previous band, our guitarist frontman used one all the time and when he had to turn the page, he would flick it across with his finger which would result in his guitar dropping out for a second or two, which we found most irritating.

I've never used notes or prompts of any kind for rehearsals or gigs, and I can remember the structures/intro's/endings etc without any problem, but I noticed that most of the people I've played with who do use notes/prompts, tend to make the most mistakes, so I think they come to rely on them and think of them as a safety net, which in turn results in them not pushing themselves to get the songs into their heads without them.

[quote name='Yank' timestamp='1483004644' post='3203987']
Where do you stand on using tablets onstage for words/chord changes?
[/quote]

I thought that rehearsal rooms were made for learning and working out material, along with doing your "home work". I too, am old school, and believe that if you are not gig ready, you should not be on stage.

Done both, not on guitar though.

If you are a gigging musician and maybe play in 2-3 bands with multiple songs, different arrangements even for the same song, then totally I think it's Ok, better to have a tight sound.
Singers I think should not have them to engage.

If you are in one band, have one fixed set, I would argue that you should know that inside out

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1483005369' post='3203995']

I thought that rehearsal rooms were made for learning and working out material, along with doing your "home work". I too, am old school, and believe that if you are not gig ready, you should not be on stage.
[/quote]

Nailed it.

We need at least one for the digital mixer :yarr:

I've given up on these what should or shouldn't a band be doing threads, even though my band does everything wrong looking at most of these threads we still have dates in the diary, those to me are more telling than some guy on the internet telling you he has learnt all the words to the same thirty blues rock covers he has been playing for thirty years :)

I have one which runs the mixer and lets me change it on the fly. The singer has one with the lyrics. He never gets the lyrics wrong. Our last group didn't have them and the singer would often get songs wrong, get mental blocks and miss sections out, it was much harder to follow. I really like tablets on stage and never had any negative comments.

We add at least one song each couple of gigs, I would rather do that then bang out ever fallen in love for the next 10 years.

As someone has already said, this comes under 'are music stands acceptable on stage'. I think both are a total no-no. As someone else has said, learn your parts before you go on stage.

I can see where a tablet could be useful though; a friend of mine plays acoustic covers at weddings and stuff. If someone requests a song he doesn't know, he looks up the chords and lyrics on his ipad (providing he has network access) and is able to oblige.

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1483007071' post='3204017']
We need at least one for the digital mixer :yarr:

I've given up on these what should or shouldn't a band be doing threads, even though my band does everything wrong looking at most of these threads we still have dates in the diary, those to me are more telling than some guy on the internet telling you he has learnt all the words to the same thirty blues rock covers he has been playing for thirty years :)
[/quote]

This x 1000.

If they play and sound well what does it matter.

Re. the talk of "learn your parts", etc, there's a world of difference between an amateur band that has its one or two sets - possibly 30-40 songs - that it plays regardless of where it is and a function band, which can have a potential repertoire of hundreds, even thousands of numbers. It simply isn't possible to keep that much material in a state of constant readiness (That's why orchestral, big band, etc musicians use music). What counts is the end result.

I'm offended by musicians hiding behind a impenetrable wall of clothing and instruments. Leave your instruments at home and your clothing at the door, once you're up on stage singing and dancing naked your audience will be at one with you.
Well that was the plan until the police made their own divide between the audience and us.
It turns out just taking what you need to put on a good, solid show is best after all.

Edited by Maude

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1483014744' post='3204095']
Re. the talk of "learn your parts", etc, there's a world of difference between an amateur band that has its one or two sets - possibly 30-40 songs - that it plays regardless of where it is and a function band, which can have a potential repertoire of hundreds, even thousands of numbers. It simply isn't possible to keep that much material in a state of constant readiness (That's why orchestral, big band, etc musicians use music). What counts is the end result.
[/quote]

We've been here with the stand thread, those that are playing alright now in the tickled trout will never understand! I say this as someone with alright now in the set of one of my bands, the singer/guitarist also uses a stand!

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1483015408' post='3204108']
If it improves the quality of the performance. I`m all for using a tablet. Does anyone watching a band really care if someone uses a tablet?
[/quote]

No, but people on internet forums telling people in bands what to do do.

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1483015701' post='3204116']
No, but people on internet forums telling people in bands what to do do.
[/quote]

I don't see anyone [i]telling[/i] anyone else what to do. What I see, are people giving their opinions on whether or not they agree that certain "accessaries" are to be used on stage. ;)

It depends on the type of performance whether you're using stands or music and we've ha that debate over and over again.

Whether to use tablets or sheet is an interesting debate.

If you use the Fake Book, I'm told there are 1000 jazz tunes in it. I haven't memorised any Jazz tunes, let alone be able to transpose them in the fly. The electronic version has automatic transposition.

However, I don't know if you can write on the pages, when doing pit work it's important to make performance notes and queues. So if you can make notes that's good as well.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1483016174' post='3204126']

I don't see anyone [i]telling[/i] anyone else what to do. What I see, are people giving their opinions on whether or not they agree that certain "accessaries" are to be used on stage. ;)
[/quote]

There's loads of people who think everything is aimed at them and they're being told what to do. These are people who can't just ignore things that don't apply to them.

That's what causes the arguments.