Why become a member? ×

NBD: Fender MIM Precision

Rexel Matador

Just a bog standard Fender P Bass, so probably not that exciting to anyone except me, but it's my second bass and I'm stupidly excited about it.

I played it in a shop a few weeks ago but didn't have the money for it. Went in today and not only was it still there, but it was £50 cheaper!

Having just set the intonation, the bridge seems a bit flimsy so I suspect it might end up changing it at some point. Any suggestions for something reasonably priced and sturdy that would be amenable to my over-excitable pick playing would be most welcome. Would a replacement bridge just drop into the existing screw holes?

But that's a minor gripe. It sounds AMAZING. I was playing an Ibanez SR300E before, which was fine, but I was really craving that P-Bass *clannngggg* sound. Also, no more 9 volt batteries!

[quote name='Cygnus x-1' timestamp='1483116551' post='3204854']
One of these, [url="https://www.amazon.com/Chrome-Bass-Bridge-Gotoh-201B-4/dp/B019J7T0NW"]https://www.amazon.c...4/dp/B019J7T0NW[/url] goes straight on in existing holes.

Nice bridge too, you would have to search for a UK seller, or ebay.
[/quote]

Perfect! Thank you :)

[quote name='Cygnus x-1' timestamp='1483116551' post='3204854']
One of these, [url="https://www.amazon.com/Chrome-Bass-Bridge-Gotoh-201B-4/dp/B019J7T0NW"]https://www.amazon.c...4/dp/B019J7T0NW[/url] goes straight on in existing holes.

Nice bridge too, you would have to search for a UK seller, or ebay.
[/quote]

Yep, the Gotoh would be my suggestion, as it`s what I`ve done to my MIM Precision. They`re not too expensive either, and very good quality.

To the OP - Nice bass too, btw, congrats, the post 2012 MIM Fenders are really nice imo.

I went shopping a few days ago for exactly that bass (but down south) - a shop had it for £529. Called ahead to make sure they still had it (and its rosewood cousin for a comparison), yep all good.
2 hour drive on a wrecked M25 to get there, arrived and dived into a booth to try it out. Did it bloody work? Nope - hardly any output, doh! Tried the rosewood but i wasn't convinced enough and thought i would hunt about for the maple version somewhere else.

Fortunately (or unfortunately for my bank account) they also had a Nate Mendel in the sale. I felt obliged to try it. its now sat in my front room looking at me :-)

Enjoy your new bass - they sound great!

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1483126837' post='3204946']
If you want a bridge that is a little cheaper than the Gotoh I have a virtually unused high-mass bridge I'm thinking of getting rid of. It is like a Gotoh but the string-retainer block is solid rather than hollow as it is on the Gotoh.
[/quote]

Tell me more! Brand, price, etc? PM me if you prefer.

Also, top bass! I would stick a black pickguard on there!
[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing - it would even match my Telecaster. But there's just something about it as it is. I think perhaps it reminds me of Wayne's World.

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1483122494' post='3204900']
I went shopping a few days ago for exactly that bass (but down south) - a shop had it for £529. Called ahead to make sure they still had it (and its rosewood cousin for a comparison), yep all good.
[/quote]

I'm glad to hear it all worked out in the end. Coincidentally I just saw a great deal on a mint condition used one, just like mine but with the rosewood board. I would have saved a bit of money but I'd had my heart set on the maple for a long time and I'm really glad I didn't compromise now.

[quote name='Rexel Matador' timestamp='1483135149' post='3205040']
What a lovely place Basschat is. No-one I know in "real life" would be remotely interested in my new acquisition. Thanks everyone :)
[/quote]

Thats because us bass players live in a slightly left of centre universe where only we really "get it"

Edited by Mudpup

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1483122021' post='3204894']
Yep, the Gotoh would be my suggestion, as it`s what I`ve done to my MIM Precision. They`re not too expensive either, and very good quality.

To the OP - Nice bass too, btw, congrats, the post 2012 MIM Fenders are really nice imo.
[/quote]Iv'e always used the Gotoh 201 bridges on my basses...... Great quality,price etc

If you want a bridge that is a little cheaper than the Gotoh I have a virtually unused high-mass bridge I'm thinking of getting rid of. It is like a Gotoh but the string-retainer block is solid rather than hollow as it is on the Gotoh.

Also, top bass! I would stick a black pickguard on there!
[/quote]

You need to keep sale/trade offers to private messages.

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1483178628' post='3205178']
My p bass has the bent plate bridge on it. What does the high mass bridge do that offers an advantage tone wise? Is it purely for sustain? If so, my bent plate seems to sustain pretty well.
[/quote]
To be honest, I'm perfectly happy with the way the bass sounds, but I would prefer a bridge where the plate has grooves for the saddles - I play quite hard with a pick so they get knocked about a bit. The G string saddle, in particular, seems quite prone to waggle from side to side.

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1483445210' post='3207131']
I have the rosewood version, a really nice neck on it (2013). I'm slowly "de-chroming" it, so may get a black bridge. - Don't listen to them, leave the pickguard alone, else it will look awful!
[/quote]
I'm inclined to agree. I like to tinker, so it's always tempting to change it, but I think I'll leave it alone for now.