Why become a member? ×

Mariah's meltdown

leschirons

Oh dear, Ms Carey will no doubt be blaming someone else and vastly shortening their career prospects after her lip-syncing gig went pear shaped last night. :blush:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/38483893/mariah-carey-stormed-out-of-2016-with-a-technical-meltdown

Mods, please feel free to move this to "Off topic" if you feel it doesn't fall within the realms of "music" :lol:

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1483299556' post='3206043']
Oh dear, Ms Carey will no doubt be blaming someone else and vastly shortening their career prospects after her lip-syncing gig went pear shaped last night. :blush:
[/quote]

Damn right too. The monitoring engineer should be in a whole world of pain.

Taking out her IEMs sealed her fate. With the amount of reflection going on from the surrounding buildings, she stood no chance of hearing anything to sing against without IEMs. It's reported that there was nothing going into her IEMs... which certainly appears to be the case. On a big stage, with minimal reflection, you can't hear whats going on the other side of the stage to where you are. Put that stage in a place where FOH reflections (yes, buildings reflect sound like nothing else) are going to be omnipresent and you're...well... fked. There doesn't appear to be any floor wedges to help... but they wouldn't have helped much either... because the foh reflection would still be very much present.

With regard to lip syncing, it wasn't the whole of the vocal... yes... the tricky high vocals... but that's the one bit you know that everybody expects her to get right and one bit that everybody is going to criticise if she doesn't get right... so she can't win either way. You've got to remember she's a couple of decades older than when her voice was in her prime. She's paid to be an entertainer and that what she did... maybe just in a different manner to what everybody expected.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1483550220' post='3208160']
Damn right too. The monitoring engineer should be in a whole world of pain.

Taking out her IEMs sealed her fate. With the amount of reflection going on from the surrounding buildings, she stood no chance of hearing anything to sing against without IEMs. It's reported that there was nothing going into her IEMs... which certainly appears to be the case. On a big stage, with minimal reflection, you can't hear whats going on the other side of the stage to where you are. Put that stage in a place where FOH reflections (yes, building reflect sound like nothing else) are going to be omnipresent and you're...well... fked. There doesn't appear to be any floor wedges to help... but they wouldn't have helped much either... because the foh reflection would still be very much present.

With regard to lip syncing, it wasn't the whole of the vocal... yes... the tricky high vocals... but that's the one bit you know that everybody expects her to get right and one bit that everybody is going to criticise if she doesn't get right... so she can't win either way. You've got to remember she's a couple of decades older than when her voice was in her prime. She's paid to be an entertainer and that what she did... maybe just in a different manner to what everybody expected.
[/quote]

^^This just about sums it up for me.

How any of the armchair critics can know what/how little she would have heard on a giant stage in the middle of a noisy square if her monitors were off/not working is beyond me, especially when you have the weight of expectation that she always has in terms of performance. I'm sure the papers will have loved the "diva" meltdown as they saw it, but I only saw someone struggling with really bad sound.

I am not particularly a fanboi of Mariah either, but I can think of how worked up I get when I try to pitch backing harmonies in our band and I can't hear a thing.

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1483551121' post='3208175']

How any of the armchair critics can know what/how little she would have heard on a giant stage in the middle of a noisy square if her monitors were off/not working is beyond me, especially when you have the weight of expectation that she always has in terms of performance. I'm sure the papers will have loved the "diva" meltdown as they saw it, but I only saw someone struggling with really bad sound.

I am not particularly a fanboi of Mariah either, but I can think of how worked up I get when I try to pitch backing harmonies in our band and I can't hear a thing.
[/quote]

Agree with you and EBS_freak.
It must have been a nightmare.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1483553155' post='3208200']
Yes, those pesky rehearsals usually iron out these problems.
[/quote]
They do - but in this case, Mariah wasn't at fault... but it won't be the sound engineers that are getting the bad press will it?

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1483553271' post='3208203']
They do - but in this case, Mariah wasn't at fault... but it won't be the sound engineers that are getting the bad press will it?
[/quote]Is that the sound engineer who probably said 'Whatever you do Mariah, don't take your IEM's out?'

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1483551121' post='3208175']

[/quote]

Well the Beatles managed when they couldnt even hear there instruments, and had no monitors, but there again, they had talent. Most of the bands I was in during the 60s and 70s had no monitors but we managed to play and produce 3 part harmonies of quality. She is supposed to be a pro singer and entertainer, If she cant overcome a monitor problem without spitting her dummy out she needs to find another career. I am only a harmony vocalist but even I know by the pressure in my throat and ears when I am in tune.

Edited by mikel

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1483558665' post='3208279']
Is that the sound engineer who probably said 'Whatever you do Mariah, don't take your IEM's out?'
[/quote]
Yes - because -26dB of attenuation combined with no monitor feed is exactly what she needs in such a situation.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1483561547' post='3208320']

Well the Beatles managed when they couldnt even hear there instruments, and had no monitors, but there again, they had talent. Most of the bands I was in during the 60s and 70s had no monitors but we managed to play and produce 3 part harmonies of quality. She is supposed to be a pro singer and entertainer, If she cant overcome a monitor problem without spitting her dummy out she needs to find another career.
[/quote]
You are forgetting one of the key points. She is singing against an echo. Have you ever tried to talk down a telephone with an echo of your voice coming back at you?

To say Mariah has no talent is just foolish. The Beatles, weren't performing with anywhere near the volume of modern PA systems. Yes, they couldn't hear what they were singing - but crucially they weren't singing against reflections from the front of house.

If you were that good in the 60s and 70s presumably I have heard of you, or at least your bands...?

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1483561547' post='3208320']I am only a harmony vocalist but even I know by the pressure in my throat and ears when I am in tune.
[/quote]

Ridiculous.

If you are singing by muscle memory, you are requiring everybody and the accompanying instruments to be exactly in tune - the law of averages will mean that this is completely unlikely.

You need to listen with your ears and adjust appropriately to be in tune with those around you.

Edited by EBS_freak