Why become a member? ×

No.1 rule of a good bass player.

bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1483328798' post='3206250']
No 2. don't post on Bass Chat when you and your wife are drunk.
[/quote]

Don't tell me you're the first Basschatter of 2017 to be breathalysed and found guilty of being intoxicated in charge of a keyboard.

Heeheehee.

Edited by SpondonBassed

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1483353620' post='3206376']

Well, looking through recent posts on BC, it seems that a great bass player has:

A fender P bass
Clean hands
Good dance moves
Tone in their fingers
Their own bass, backline and PA
A partner that's fine with having their house filled with band gear.

Oh, and I almost forgot, you've got to be sexy and under 25.

I think that's got it covered?
[/quote]

Fell at the first hurdle, how embarrassing ;)

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1483525262' post='3207831']
Remember you're part of the rhythm section, not a soloist. If people notice you, you're overplaying. Keep it simple.
[/quote]

I understand your point. . . . but, IMO there's a difference between over playing, being boring or invisible and playing enough of the good stuff to get noticed. Good bass players do get noticed for their bass lines and stand out because of their playing.

We should all aim to be noticed and heard.

Edited by chris_b

If I was forced to pick a single rule for bass players, it would have to be "be solid". If you can't do that then all of the other stuff is irrelevant. That's what I notice most when many guitarists pick up the bass - they can find their way around the fretboard, but they often don't grasp how important it is to keep things steady. Whether or not you like some of the more elaborate stuff that Victor Wooten does, above else he's a rock solid bass player when he has to be.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1483528644' post='3207869']
No.1 rule for bass players = Don't make definitive statements about anything, anything at all. Life is contingent.

:yarr:
[/quote]But then who will flame me mercilessly on bass forums? :D

More playing, less reading about it on the net.
EDIT: Must take own advice :facepalm:

Edited by ezbass

My number one applies to every musician in general...... don't be a dickhead!! Its surprising how many musicians I have met in my life who cant even get this simple one through their heads. Second would be play in tune, again, very difficult for a lot of the musicians I have met over the years.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1483531215' post='3207914']
Sorry mate, you can't have two No.1 rules.

It just doesn't work.
[/quote]

:D I know, I couldn't decide which one was more important so decided to offer up my second rule as well despite not being asked for it.

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1483531056' post='3207912']
My number one applies to every musician in general...... don't be a dickhead!! Its surprising how many musicians I have met in my life who cant even get this simple one through their heads.
[/quote]

This, more than anything. I've met plenty, like the 'blues guitarist' who had 70 plus guitars but I had to help him tune up before he 'played'. every song was the same hesitant mess. Met a good drummer through that fiasco, though! We were the two who couldn't stop laughing at his efforts.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1483523734' post='3207816']
There are bass players with no transport, no decent gear, that play badly, turn up late, miss rehearsals, get drunk...

But none that are deaf.
[/quote]

Apart from these you mean? -

[url="https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=deaf+bass+player"]https://www.youtube....eaf+bass+player[/url]

"none" Really?

Edited by SpondonBassed