Why become a member? ×

No.1 rule of a good bass player.

bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1483302424' post='3206085']
Listening. Well IMO thats one of the best starts. Its whats its all about. Its innocent, and thats where i think music always comes from.
[/quote]

Funny, as I was clicking the link I was thinking... "Hmm, for me it would be listening." I guess we hear each other!

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1483303445' post='3206097']
ha ha.! excellent Pete.
[/quote]

For anyone that missed the original post and or can't read music that's going to confuse the hell out of them!

I do agree with the revised version though, you need to listen to what's going on and react to it, sometimes that can mean taking the lead too.

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1483324686' post='3206246']
Do what's right for the song
[/quote]That comes from listening. and listening and listening. To all genres. But i think you can really bed down into one and be really good at it. Not many can be a master of all genres. They call them session musicians, but its a bit like calling them a Lakland 55-02. They can get there but they don't really get there.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1483328417' post='3206249']
That comes from listening. and listening and listening. To all genres. But i think you can really bed down into one and be really good at it. Not many can be a master of all genres. They call them session musicians, but its a bit like calling them a Lakland 55-02. They can get there but they don't really get there.
[/quote]

no no no its from knowing where the stops and pauses are ... all the notes in between are just filler

It would seem that i talked.(not for the first time) absolute sh*t on Bass Chat. Babbling nonsense like the crazy man who lives upstairs with lots of cats. i do apologise. Me and the wife had some rather lovely Port and Brandy :huh: :D

Edited by bubinga5

There are many #1's. The better you do them the better you'll be as a bass player.

Perfect timing, know every note on your fret board, serve the song, listen, be on time and "leave something on the table", ie add some original and unique lines to every song you play.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1483350115' post='3206328']
There are many #1's. The better you do them the better you'll be as a bass player.
[/quote]

Well, looking through recent posts on BC, it seems that a great bass player has:

A fender P bass
Clean hands
Good dance moves
Tone in their fingers
Their own bass, backline and PA
A partner that's fine with having their house filled with band gear.

Oh, and I almost forgot, you've got to be sexy and under 25.

I think that's got it covered?

Edited by darkandrew

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1483302424' post='3206085']
Listening. Well IMO thats one of the best starts. Its whats its all about. Its innocent, and thats where i think music always comes from.
[/quote]

I have listened to others playing bass for years, so that must make me a superb bassist.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1483332511' post='3206254']
Deb just said the perfect record from a great. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp4fLSj9-kE[/media]
[/quote]

Excellent. Not heard him in a while. Need to look into this album. Cheers.

Dave

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1483344292' post='3206284']
no no no its from knowing where the stops and pauses are ... all the notes in between are just filler
[/quote]

:D I've perfected my technique to the point the stops and pauses are the main feature and have removed all filler notes. :D :D :D

Sorry Steve. Couldn't resist that. My coat is on and i'm on my way out. :lol:

Dave