Why become a member? ×

Advice on echo pedal?

SH73

My father in law wants to get an echo pedal. He has been using an ancient tape delay.
I looked at tc electronic pedals but difficult to advise from online reviews only.
He needs it predominantly for microphone use and some elektro acoustic guitar.
Anyone has any experience with echo pedals?

Different echo pedals do completely different things so it depends what he wants. I was playing 50s rock n roll / rockabilly guitar and used the Boss RE-20 after a LOT of research BUT of course that is much more of a tape echo slapback sound and some people want more digital sounding repeats.

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1483399715' post='3206922']
Different echo pedals do completely different things so it depends what he wants. I was playing 50s rock n roll / rockabilly guitar and used the Boss RE-20 after a LOT of research BUT of course that is much more of a tape echo slapback sound and some people want more digital sounding repeats.
[/quote]
Don't quote me on this but I'm 99.9% sure my mate chose the Dan over the Boss even though he had the cash to buy both
Again, just my $0.02

[quote name='Tuco' timestamp='1483401930' post='3206934']Don't quote me on this but I'm 99.9% sure my mate chose the Dan over the Boss even though he had the cash to buy both
Again, just my $0.02[/quote]

We're all allowed our own taste. I spent several evenings researching 50s slapback and the Dano was rated very highly indeed. However, I went with the Boss after several sound tests and read reviews. I'd heard of many other good makes from Strymon to Keeley's Memphis Son. It's just a mindfield.

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1483402199' post='3206936']

We're all allowed our own taste. I spent several evenings researching 50s slapback and the Dano was rated very highly indeed. However, I went with the Boss after several sound tests and read reviews. I'd heard of many other good makes from Strymon to Keeley's Memphis Son. It's just a mindfield.
[/quote]
I hear you there.
I've never owned an echo myself but I'm pretty sure that if I did it would be the RE-20

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1483523003' post='3207805']All these seem a bit too expensive though.[/quote]

Prior to using the Boss unit I was very happy with this;

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Belcat-DLY-503-Delay-Pedal/B71

Ridiculously cheap and a lot of pedal for the money.

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1483525917' post='3207839']

Prior to using the Boss unit I was very happy with this;

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Belcat-DLY-503-Delay-Pedal/B71

Ridiculously cheap and a lot of pedal for the money.
[/quote]

Cheers