January Composition Challenge - GET WRITING!

50 replies to this topic

#1 Skol303

Needs to get out more

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 12:54 PM

January's Composition Challenge is now underway!

Here's the image for your inspiration, chosen by November's winners the boy and Lord Sausage...

Posted Image

Click on the 'Spoiler' button below to read the usual rules and caveats:

Spoiler

If you have any questions, just ask.

The deadline for entries is midnight on Tuesday 24th January.

#2 lurksalot

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts
  • Interests:mostly base ........oh and bass

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:28 PM

That looks excellent , that lonesome cowboy Blues type of vibe , though I could rock it out , I reckon there could also be some 'coconut shell' funk in there :D
When I said lower the frequency , I didn't mean only on christmas and birthdays, blue moons Preston Guilds

Please Vote in the BC Monthly Challenges , composition and photographic , you know it makes sense.

BassChat Terms & Conditions ............... Forum Behaviour Guidelines ............... Rules & Guidelines for The Marketplace

#3 MoonBassAlpha

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,287 posts
  • Interests:Bass, Guitar, Drums (a bit), Squash

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:50 PM

The horse looks like it only has 3 legs, I can feel something wonky coming on!
U.S. Masters EP42 trans blue-- U.S. Masters EP42 lacewood fretless-- Sei Flamboyant headless 4
Genz-Benz Shuttle3.0 & Shuttle6.0--Ashdown CTM15 - Barefaced Super Midget G3, Midget G2-- 1x12 cab with EVM12L-- 1x10 baby cab with Celestion BN200-10X

My feedback Music by Charms Against The Evil Eye: https://soundcloud.com/the-new-moon
For sale: Celestion Greenbacks

#4 bobbass4k

84% sarcasm by volume

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:38 AM

I hear galloping riffs and foreboding sunsets.

In 7/8 of course.

#5 the boy

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • Interests:none....

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:14 PM

The picture for me, is a question. Well it's two questions but I can't decide which one. Is he coming from something or going to something? They conjur up two very different themes. He is still just a cowboy on a horse but has he just shot up a town or is he heading off to a shoot em up situation. I can't decide.
Everything's relative.

#6 Mornats

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:20 PM

View Postbobbass4k, on 06 January 2017 - 12:38 AM, said:

I hear galloping riffs and foreboding sunsets.

In 7/8 of course.

Surely in 3/4 if the horse only has 3 legs?
  • Main bass: Squier modified VM Jazz: KiOgon wiring loom and Entwistle JBXN pickups
  • Main bass: Fender Standard Precision (MIM)
  • Other basses: SGC Nanyo Bass Collection SB320, Yamaha TRBX 504
  • MarkBass CMD 121P
  • Must... let... go: Ashdown 220 Touring 1x12 Combo with VS112 extension cab
Soundcloud: www.soundcloud.com/mornats.

#7 Bilbo

Bilbo

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,695 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 04:00 PM

Here's my entry: three acoustic guitars playing a country blues kind of vibe.

http://soundcloud.co...mer-1/way-to-go
I don't think, therefore I am not...

On with the dance and let the joy be unconfined (whether there's any dance to dance or any joy to unconfine)

Wal Custom Fretless 4 string, Czech 3/4 5 string double bass from Gedo Musik, Acoustic Image Clarus and Ten2EX extension cabinet

Basschat Terms & Conditions
Bilbo's Second Breakfast - feedback thread
www.myspace.com/bilbopalmer
Bilbo's Soundcloud page
http://jazzeast.vpwe....uk/?prefix=www

LEARNTOREADMUSIC

#8 Bilbo

Bilbo

• Global Moderators
  • 7,695 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 04:16 PM

I was just reviewing my Soundlcoud page and realised that there are at 30 compositions on there that would not have been written were it not for these challenges. The quality is distictly variable, of course, but the learning has been invaluable. One wonders how many tunes have been written across the Basschat fraternity because of this. Whoever had the idea for this thread is a frickin' genius.

On with the dance and let the joy be unconfined (whether there's any dance to dance or any joy to unconfine)

Wal Custom Fretless 4 string, Czech 3/4 5 string double bass from Gedo Musik, Acoustic Image Clarus and Ten2EX extension cabinet

Bilbo's Soundcloud page

LEARNTOREADMUSIC

#9 Rikki1984

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:21 PM

View PostBilbo, on 08 January 2017 - 04:16 PM, said:

I was just reviewing my Soundlcoud page and realised that there are at 30 compositions on there that would not have been written were it not for these challenges. The quality is distictly variable, of course, but the learning has been invaluable. One wonders how many tunes have been written across the Basschat fraternity because of this. Whoever had the idea for this thread is a frickin' genius.

I couldn't agree more.

Mine vary from 'poor' to 'very poor' but it's been a great learning experience and I've really enjoyed it and I would never have got into it without this thread.

#10 the boy

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • Interests:none....

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:00 AM

View PostBilbo, on 08 January 2017 - 04:00 PM, said:

Here's my entry: three acoustic guitars playing a country blues kind of vibe.

http://soundcloud.co...mer-1/way-to-go
Great start Mr B. In my eyes you can do no wrong lately. I had always envisaged the pic involving some desperate deed, past or yet to come however your composition suggests he's simply heading down the pub for a few beers and it works fantastically. Well done.
Everything's relative.

#11 Skol303

Needs to get out more

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:33 PM

Whoever had the idea for this thread is a frickin' genius.

Credit to Charic for that stroke of genius! :)

He's been quiet here of late, but still lurking in the BC Admin department, doing genuisy things...

#12 RockfordStone

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts
  • Interests:Bass, Recording, Production, Photography

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:03 PM

View PostSkol303, on 09 January 2017 - 12:33 PM, said:

Credit to Charic for that stroke of genius! :)

He's been quiet here of late, but still lurking in the BC Admin department, doing genuisy things...
think he is wedding planning and working on an album or something

i've got an idea in my head for this, a concept at least, but finding the time to settle in to do it over the other musical endeavours i'm trying to get sorted is the issue.

#13 Skol303

Needs to get out more

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:56 PM

View PostRockfordStone, on 09 January 2017 - 02:03 PM, said:

i've got an idea in my head for this, a concept at least, but finding the time to settle in to do it over the other musical endeavours i'm trying to get sorted is the issue.

Yeah I’ve been a bit lax with the BC challenge recently… not through any lack of enthusiasm, but lack of time!

I’m involved in various remixing projects on another forum (I know, I’m such a floozy!) and am really enjoying them. My ‘plan’, in a loose sense, is to continue working on remixes for a while yet and then return to producing more of my own material later this year. Hopefully I can fit in more Basschat challenges around that as I go - work and the demands of feral darling young children notwithstanding ;)

#14 RockfordStone

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:44 PM

View PostSkol303, on 09 January 2017 - 02:56 PM, said:

Yeah I’ve been a bit lax with the BC challenge recently… not through any lack of enthusiasm, but lack of time!

I’m involved in various remixing projects on another forum (I know, I’m such a floozy!) and am really enjoying them. My ‘plan’, in a loose sense, is to continue working on remixes for a while yet and then return to producing more of my own material later this year. Hopefully I can fit in more Basschat challenges around that as I go - work and the demands of feral darling young children notwithstanding ;)
im trying to turn my demo's into something more like an album.

whilst my old band are reforming to record an album and gig.

neither of which is going well currently...

#15 Bilbo

Bilbo

• Global Moderators
  • 7,695 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:50 PM

I missed a couple of months because I was recording bass parts for an album. I have recently heard the full mixes and some of it sounds awesome. The bass parts were recorded in my garden shed but sound totally professional!! Sometimes, the BCC has to take a back seat.

Bilbo's Soundcloud page

LEARNTOREADMUSIC

#16 Leonard Smalls

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Interests:bass and bikes

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:34 AM

Talking of busy, I may not get it together either, despite lovely new speakers...
Just moved house and I'm off on holiday on Friday!
Basses: Wal, Sandberg, Parker, Kawai
Amp: Marshall Jubilee/PD15"/Marbass210
FX: Yamaha FX770, Rocktron Utopia, Qtron, 3 Leaf, Darkglass
My Stuff!

#17 Skol303

Needs to get out more

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:29 AM

View PostLeonard Smalls, on 10 January 2017 - 08:34 AM, said:

despite lovely new speakers...

Spill the beans! What you got? :)

#18 fingers211

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:14 PM

View PostRikki1984, on 08 January 2017 - 06:21 PM, said:

I couldn't agree more.

Mine vary from 'poor' to 'very poor' but it's been a great learning experience and I've really enjoyed it and I would never have got into it without this thread.

Et moi aussi !

Edited by fingers211, 10 January 2017 - 03:14 PM.

o

#19 Leonard Smalls

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:06 PM

View PostSkol303, on 10 January 2017 - 11:29 AM, said:

Spill the beans! What you got? :)

Adam F7s. They're excellent - I'm almost tempted to get some more instead of my hifi speaks, which had an rrp of £2600 more!
Posted Image
My Stuff!

#20 christofloffer

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:06 PM

couldnt agree more, getting involved with this little challenge has given me a reason to write things. i have been messing for years for my own pleasure but it was mostly just putting ideas in the bank for possible future use. having a definitive focus is great and has pushed me to get a better understanding of my gear and to try out some different genres. as is evidenced by my entries i still have loads to learn but i am a lot happier to try. for someone who doesnt play in bands and has no wish to gig its great for my efforts to have a point beyond getting ideas out of my head only to sit gathering digital dust in some forgotten hard drive folder.

i may be unleashing my inner geek a little, but isnt that a screenshot from red dead redemption? not that that would be a bad thing, that game has some great musical moments.
got a couple of ideas, a bit limited by the gear at the moment. for some reason my electric acoustic has developed an irritating popping sound that shows up randomly to ruin a take. dont know why, obviously the electrics are giving out. not having much luck with my gear at the moment :angry: . so i am down to the mic for recording the acoustic which is always a faff. i will figure something out though.

#21 lurksalot

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts
  • Interests:mostly base ........oh and bass

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:34 PM

View Postchristofloffer, on 10 January 2017 - 06:06 PM, said:

couldnt agree more, getting involved with this little challenge has given me a reason to write things. i have been messing for years for my own pleasure but it was mostly just putting ideas in the bank for possible future use. having a definitive focus is great and has pushed me to get a better understanding of my gear and to try out some different genres. as is evidenced by my entries i still have loads to learn but i am a lot happier to try. for someone who doesnt play in bands and has no wish to gig its great for my efforts to have a point beyond getting ideas out of my head only to sit gathering digital dust in some forgotten hard drive folder.

Absolutely, 46 tracks from me , that has just amazed me , before I started playing with this challenge I had never even used a DAW !

a MASSIVE thank you to everyone who has/is participating, for all the encouragement , support and even as simple as being the audience for the work that gets produced.

This is an incredible journey and long may it continue to inspire people like me who start without a clue, but just getting the confidence to make music and publish it is truly fantastic.
When I said lower the frequency , I didn't mean only on christmas and birthdays, blue moons Preston Guilds

Please Vote in the BC Monthly Challenges , composition and photographic , you know it makes sense.

BassChat Terms & Conditions ............... Forum Behaviour Guidelines ............... Rules & Guidelines for The Marketplace

#22 Skol303

Needs to get out more

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:04 AM

View PostLeonard Smalls, on 10 January 2017 - 06:06 PM, said:

Adam F7s. They're excellent

Very nice! I've heard only good things about them... already on my 'wish list' :)

View Postlurksalot, on 10 January 2017 - 08:34 PM, said:

a MASSIVE thank you to everyone who has/is participating

Yep, I'll ditto that. It's a fairly small cadre of people who get involved, but I think that's part of its charm. And we've created a huge amount of material over the years! For anyone interested, there's an archive of all the challenges to date here.

#23 RockfordStone

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:15 AM

i may be unleashing my inner geek a little, but isnt that a screenshot from red dead redemption? not that that would be a bad thing, that game has some great musical moments.
i believe it may well be, i thought that when i saw it first

#24 lowdown

ďAll music is folk music.I ainít never heard a horse sing a song

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,637 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:11 PM

Yes, a real nice, original score on that game.
RDR 2 out later this years as well. :)
"Never Look At The Trombones. It Only Encourages Them." - Richard Strauss

Soundcloud

Facebook

Feedback

#25 xgsjx

Thingy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:31 PM

View PostLeonard Smalls, on 10 January 2017 - 06:06 PM, said:

Adam F7s. They're excellent - I'm almost tempted to get some more instead of my hifi speaks, which had an rrp of £2600 more!
Posted Image
Oooh! I'd love a pair of those. I'm after a pair of monitors & struggling to get my budget past £100! I shall, but by how much is another story.

Anyway, I'm off to work on this month's composition. I've got the basics already done. :)

#26 Leonard Smalls

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:52 PM

View Postlurksalot, on 10 January 2017 - 08:34 PM, said:

Absolutely, 46 tracks from me , that has just amazed me , before I started playing with this challenge I had never even used a DAW !

31 from me...
I only got a DAW because it came free with a Focusrite Scarlett I'd bought to swap ideas with our France-based guitarist.
Since then I've got a paid for DAW, keyboard/controller, mics, AKG headphones, decent studio monitor speaks and a rickety pair of tressles with a couple of planks to balance them all on!
And rather than work on a song, I've got to collect Euros (bleedin' Brexit ;)), wash the car, practice fitting snow chains and hoover the house.

My Stuff!

#27 RockfordStone

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:41 PM

i cant remember how many ive done, ive deleted them off soundcloud i think. think the only one i have on there is the one i did with skol

#28 xgsjx

Thingy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:13 PM

Got my song done this week & finished! :D

I've been starting work at 3:45 every day this week, so I felt like the guy in the pic heading into the sunset & off to work. I tried to get the feeling of having lots of energy building up & getting a good start to the year.

https://soundcloud.c...to-a-new-sunset

I've yet to listen to it on other systems, so I might need to do a little more mixing/mastering, but the song itself is complete.

Edited by xgsjx, 13 January 2017 - 10:00 AM.

#29 Rikki1984

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:23 PM

Here's my attempt (first time in a while) - as sloppy as ever! If I have time I'll try to revisit it and tidy things up a bit.

The attempt at lyrics tells a very over-simplistic story of gunslinger roaming the Wild West righting wrongs etc.

https://soundcloud.c...-boyes/lonestar

Thanks for listening - any comments are welcome

Edited by Rikki1984, 13 January 2017 - 11:26 PM.

#30 Bleat

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Music Composition, Bass Playing

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:23 PM

Haven't been overly inspired composition wise for a while, been tinkering with my bass and stuff as you do!

I thought I would make an attempt for the new year!

It is what it is! Track is called "Colorado"

https://www.youtube....h?v=UKFt5B9HqyE

Cheers,
James
:)

Edit to add Soundcloud link:

https://soundcloud.c...ourney/colorado

Edited by Bleat, 16 January 2017 - 10:48 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users