Why become a member? ×

FNBD MIM Conundrum

rubis

This is a bass I got on ebay a few months ago for a project which fell through, so strictly speaking its not a new bass day, more of a fairly new bass day !
Its a bit of a mongrel really, but I like it so much, I'm gong to keep it and mod it a little bit, tastefully of course !
The bass is all Mexican, the body pre-dates the neck by some years, its from 1998/9 if I remember rightly, the seller said that he gigged the bass for some years but then the neck got damaged and he bought a new neck from a site on ebay in the US, Stratosphere I think, and then replaced the original damaged one, but gave up gigging
The body is pretty mint, all the parts are Mexican and marked as such, but the neck is the bit which has me confused
It has a Mexican 2013 serial number, it has a gloss finish rather than the usual satin finish found on the Mexican guitars, and it has a vintage style spaghetti logo on the front
I have casually researched other Mexican basses, but haven't seen any with the same gloss finish or logo, the nearest I found was a P bass deluxe model, but that has the word deluxe next to the Precision script

Can anyone shed any light on this for me ?

[attachment=235051:DSC02164.JPG]
[attachment=235052:DSC02166.JPG]
[attachment=235053:DSC02167.JPG]