Why become a member? ×

Amp.head di to audio interface

Rubbersoul

As long as it doesn't have a valve power stage, you'll be fine so things like Ashdown ABMs, SWRs, EBS etc plus any modern class D range will be safe.. On the other hand, if it's something like an SVT CL then you'll need a speaker or a dummy load as you'll hurt the valves and / or output transformer without..

you may find the result unsatisfactory, as I did. Not because the amp isn't good, but because the cab adds more to the sound than I realised. Using the amp's DI is not much more 'warm' than going straight in to the interface. Just my experience trying to find the right tone. Bought a tube pre amp, tried micing the cab, tried the amp's DI. In the end, the bass sounded better going straight into my interface, go figure.

I agree, you may as well go straight to the interface from your bass (assuming the interface has an Instrument input), then just use a amp/cab sim VST for the rest.
I recently recording an album with my Precision direct to my Focusrite Clarett and it sounded brilliant, didn't use any VSTs other than a little compression.

Si

The interface is an Audient iD14 so it has an instrument DI. I just got it for Xmas and am still getting used to it. The DI seems very hot and the only way I can get a signal in without it clipping is by turning the volume down on the bass: I think this loses a bit of the character of the bass. I've the gain on the mixer right down and I'm still going into the red!

• 2 weeks later...

I actually had better results going through the DI on my Markbass 121P into my interface (Focusrite Forte) than plugging direct into the Forte. I got a much cleaner, better balanced sound. You can always use an amp/cab emulator (Amplitube, Guitar Rig etc.) to get something like the cab sound if you wanted.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1485039266' post='3220719']
I actually had better results going through the DI on my Markbass 121P into my interface (Focusrite Forte) than plugging direct into the Forte. I got a much cleaner, better balanced sound. You can always use an amp/cab emulator (Amplitube, Guitar Rig etc.) to get something like the cab sound if you wanted.
[/quote]

I wasn't going to chime in on that front but since it's been mentioned, I agree.. I use the DI on the V4 for probably 75% of the recordings I do and it works great. Using the compressor a bit harder than I do live yeilds the best results for me.

The amp (unlike its older and larger siblings) has a built in dummy load so can be operated without a speaker although it's a heavy DI box!

I use to record from the di output of my bass prodigy in one channel and form the bk7 ultra in another one.
I get decent results, I would love to mic my cab and get the valve sound but I cannot do it in my flat and I don't have any mic to do that.
I noticed when I recorded my bass without di, sound was pretty weak (I use passive basses).

Everything seems fine in that respect. Easy to set up, download updates from the Audient website and you're good to go. As for latency, I have it set at "minimum" and I am not experiencing any problems whatsoever. Running through Reaper and using VSTs in real time has not been a problem.