Why become a member? ×

Experience Why Is It Important When Hiring A New Band Member

blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1483407775' post='3206954']
I'll start.

It depends on what a band is looking for.

Here's an example, a national touring band, let's say they're headlining 250-500 seat venues.They are booked for 4 months, East coast,West coast and the Midwest. Then another month in Europe.They're looking for a bass player.

I'd be very hesitant to to audition as I have no touring experience.

Blue
[/quote]
A tour is just a number of gigs one after the other. You have a lot of gigging experience. Put yourself forward straight away as that is just the gig you have been looking for and they don't come along too often!

What people want for a tour is guys who can handle the gig (musically) and who they can live at close quarters with for a few weeks. It helps to be sociable, without being too sociable (ie. can't handle your booze). Having said that many bands want some one they can hang out and drink with. If I was you I wouldn't stress that you don't drink at all, rather that your not a drunk (unless of course they're on the wagon as well).

Edited by peteb

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1483407775' post='3206954']
I'd be very hesitant to to audition as I have no touring experience.[/quote]

Unless they particularly specify 'touring experience [u]essential[/u]' why not audition anyway? Just tip up with your bass(es) and whatever else they want you to bring.

* You make some contacts and meet some new people

* You meet some other bass-players and possibly get to talk about dep opportunities

* It's a nice day out doing something you like. Go and have a nice cup of tea afterwards and maybe feed the ducks.

Do it. G'wan g'wan g'wan g'wan g'wan g'wan g'wan g'wan g'wan g'wan g'wan g'wan g'wan g'wan g'wan g'wan g'wan g'wan g'wan.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1483433263' post='3207007']

Yep, if it wasn't someone I knew, I'd definitely be asking those questions. I'd also want to know how many bands they've played in over the last ten years, and why they left. Some people have been chucked out of more bands than most of us have played in!
[/quote]

Good point Dave and it's exactly what I was getting at.

Blue

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1483436816' post='3207032']

Obviously with the prevalence of social media, it is quite routine to do some online checking to support any credentials - just a few minutes ago I read a Facebook entry on a musicians wanted page where some guy said he's played 'over a thousand gigs in the last ten years'. Clicking on his photos showed up loads of photos of trees and his dog, but not one of the guy playing with anything other than a football. What does that say?
[/quote]

Was it JTUK? :D

My main band has undergone a few upheavals in the last year and while I'd stress that losing our guitarist (to another project) was just plain sad and awful, even he's admitted the new guy is a far better fit.

From the experience perspective, we've all been doing it for decades; the new drummer and guitarist both have what qualifies as experience but for one reason or another neither had played in about a year. With both guys, I spoke to them at length on the phone and circulated audio ahead of the first get together, but if either of these guys had been asshats, it would have been apparent during the first conversation and they wouldn't have been invited along. I'd rather play with guys who want this to be fun rather than virtuoso fret-w***ers.

Obviously with the prevalence of social media, it is quite routine to do some online checking to support any credentials - just a few minutes ago I read a Facebook entry on a musicians wanted page where some guy said he's played 'over a thousand gigs in the last ten years'. Clicking on his photos showed up loads of photos of trees and his dog, but not one of the guy playing with anything other than a football. What does that say?
[/quote]

I'm very leary of the "virtuoso". A lot of them are the worse when it comes to understanding how to be in a band and work with others.

Not always, but these are the guys can be "know it alls", or I won't play this or that or I won't play here or there.

Blue

[/quote]

It says , I'd question this guys story.

Interesting, I never thought about it. If you go to my Facebook page all you will see is are current weekly ads for where my band is playing. And you will see most of my friends are musicians.

Blue

Experience means so many things.

How many if you guys have seen this guy.

After 3 weekends if gigging he announced he has to leave the band because his wife doesn't want him out gigging every weekend.

It's why we always ask guys where their wife stands in terms of gigging and being away in weekends.

My point, some guys have so little experience they don't even know that support and approval from a wife is crucial.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1483438726' post='3207060']
I know musicians who have played for 20 plus years, constantly gigging, but can't get their act together, turning up late, broken gear, no spare anything.
Experience doesn't mean they're gonna be good, but most people learn SOMETHING after all those years.

I've been lucky enough to have always played in bands with people I was friends with already, bringing in one new person maybe.

It's more important that the new member gels with the band than whether they've played in bands for a long time, assuming the talent is there.
[/quote]

Agreed, not to beat up on the 20 years of experience guys.

However some of us have seen ,say the drummer with 20 years of experience and shows up for the audition in a 20 year old car, no cases for his beat up kit and he's constantly bragging about what he claims he has done.

My point, experienced accomplished musicians rarely brag about themselves.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1483440086' post='3207085']
The last audition I did that got me into a band was in 1985. Since then it's been a long list of one door closing and two doors opening.

Every offer to me for over 30 years has been by word of mouth. I don't know any bands that advertise for new members, so IME every new person is already known, wanted and has the gig before the phone call is made. That makes it extremely difficult if not impossible to be an outsider and break in to the local band scene.

I usually get my deps from people I know or who know the guys I play with. For the few where I'm not known I'll provide Youtube's of me playing. Unfortunately that can be a double edged sword for an old git like me!
[/quote]

Very true,the top teir musical communities are usually exclusive clubs and they never let outsiders in.

Video clips are pretty one dimensional. What do they really show? That you were in a band playing bass. Video really doesn't address experience.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='DaytonaRik' timestamp='1483440142' post='3207086']
Experience means nothing when it comes to talent/ability but it DOES mean a whole lot when knowing what's expected of you in terms of professionalism, approach to rehearsals/learning material, spares etc.

That said, not every experienced gigging musician are particularly proficient at the professional approach either.
[/quote]

I disagree, those with current relevant experience, meaning gigging experience usually understand and execute all those professional qualities. IMO

Blue

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1483441040' post='3207095']
Genuine question...

How does someone get their first touring experience, presuming they've not come up through the "originals band schlepping round the country/state in a beat up van" career route?
[/quote]

Good question, I don't have an answer.

I can guess that you might get a chance if your ready to get on the bus right now and you knew someone who could get you in

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1483468752' post='3207409']
I disagree, those with current relevant experience, meaning gigging experience usually understand and execute all those professional qualities. IMO

Blue
[/quote]

I wish!

Edited by DaytonaRik

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1483470105' post='3207430']
For a start it depends on the type of band.

For example, 30 years experience is a covers band doesn't automatically make you any use in an originals band.
[/quote]

Agreed, and I'd say the cover guy is probably not the best candidate for a role in an Originals band. They're to use to getting paid. 😁

Blue

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1483443210' post='3207114']

Even though I'm a grumpy fat old git, I can make suggestions about song arrangements that can make a difference.
[/quote]

I started gigging for pay in 1966. I can make those suggestions too. However in my band of the last 5 years I don't.

It became very clear to me that those suggestions and ideas were handled by the band leader. I was hired to play bass, sing backing vocals and help with set up and tear down.

Turns out the 32 year old BL is a lot better than me at making those suggestions.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1483468152' post='3207401']
Very true,the top teir musical communities are usually exclusive clubs and they never let outsiders in.
[/quote]

Don't I know it!

You can sometimes get in if you're good at what you do. Talent and ability might get you through the door, if they see you play. . . but you do need that first break.

This is why I'm always against the "no one ever notices the bass player" mantra. Every time you play a gig you're auditioning. You are putting yourself out there for others to see. One of those "others" might be a band leader looking for a replacement or somebody forming a band, over the years this has happened to me several times. You'd better make sure they are impressed because this could be your source of new gigs and the chance might not come around again!

Edited by chris_b

[/quote]

If you looked at my Facebook page all you'd find is interior design ideas and some cat stuff posted by my girlfriend. All my music posts are on a separate Terrortones persona page.

I think that 'experienced' is often code for 'over 30 by an unspecified amount'. Age seems to be more important to some younger bands IME. It saves everyone subtracting 5 years from their chronological age or fudging about which side of 40 they are on.

As far as whether this matters in an audition? When you sign on as a new band member, you are more or less still auditioning for the first 10 gigs or so anyway. Beyond the ability to play the material, showing some affinity for the style/ genre and bringing something unique in either style or sound; the experience part plays out in knowing how to be in a band. Reliability, sussing the internal politics, identifying who is really in charge, not bailing out during breakdown, working out your role and whether you are going to be happy with it. Most of this is about knowing how to deal with people - and often comes with age. Lead singers aren't the only prima donnas!

Mixed bag, and I don't see that there's one right answer.

We're using "experience" as a proxy for "are you the musician we're looking for?" and it isn't.

But what I have found it good for is finding out if people have done similar stuff to the level of commitment you're looking for in the new band. Which may or may not be a good thing. File under "interesting to know" rather than "essential for the job".

But, back to the OP, I think the ad is excellent - clearly sets out the band's immediate requirements, so there won't be any misunderstanding. i don't think that you need any previous experience of touring, but you do need to think about whether you want to spend a solid four months away from home, and with people you don't as yet know - can you stick it out if the guitarist's slightly dry sense of humour starts grating after a week?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1483476395' post='3207546']

If you looked at my Facebook page all you'd find is interior design ideas and some cat stuff posted by my girlfriend. All my music posts are on a separate Terrortones persona page.
[/quote]

Wouldn't you use that page to sign up to a musicians wanted page?