Why become a member? ×

Experience Why Is It Important When Hiring A New Band Member

blue

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1483540788' post='3208055']
Wouldn't you use that page to sign up to a musicians wanted page?
[/quote]

TBH I wouldn't use Facebook at all. If I was answering a band ad, I'd let them know what I'd done musically in the past, and send some links where they could hear some recent and maybe some musically appropriate songs I'd done previously.

I was assuming that someone was then looking me up on Facebook from name and location.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1483542409' post='3208076']

TBH I wouldn't use Facebook at all. If I was answering a band ad, I'd let them know what I'd done musically in the past, and send some links where they could hear some recent and maybe some musically appropriate songs I'd done previously.

I was assuming that someone was then looking me up on Facebook from name and location.
[/quote]

I think the point was that a musician on Facebook had joined a group of musicians using his own persona. If he was a musician he'd either have lots of public photos of him playing (all my playing photos are public) or he'd have a separate musician page.

[quote name='Monkey Steve' timestamp='1483538587' post='3208027']
Mixed bag, and I don't see that there's one right answer.

We're using "experience" as a proxy for "are you the musician we're looking for?" and it isn't.

But what I have found it good for is finding out if people have done similar stuff to the level of commitment you're looking for in the new band. Which may or may not be a good thing. File under "interesting to know" rather than "essential for the job".

But, back to the OP, I think the ad is excellent - clearly sets out the band's immediate requirements, so there won't be any misunderstanding. i don't think that you need any previous experience of touring, but you do need to think about whether you want to spend a solid four months away from home, and with people you don't as yet know - can you stick it out if the guitarist's slightly dry sense of humour starts grating after a week?
[/quote]

And if you have experience you know if you can handle that life style.

I have personally seen what can happen when you hire someone with no experience at the bar band level.

All of a sudden they realize they have to be at a gig prepared in some cases Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I've seen guys give notice after the first few weeks of this type schedule. They didn't know what they were getting into.

I would never hire anyone for my band if they had no current relevant 4 hour a night gigging experience.

Blue

[/quote]

If music is your life, like me it's going to show up on your Facebook page. There's nothing else but music stuff I can post.

What would I post, that I baked a Peach Cobbler?

Blue

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1483479238' post='3207594']
I think that 'experienced' is often code for 'over 30 by an unspecified amount'. Age seems to be more important to some younger bands IME. It saves everyone subtracting 5 years from their chronological age or fudging about which side of 40 they are on.

As far as whether this matters in an audition? When you sign on as a new band member, you are more or less still auditioning for the first 10 gigs or so anyway. Beyond the ability to play the material, showing some affinity for the style/ genre and bringing something unique in either style or sound; the experience part plays out in knowing how to be in a band. Reliability, sussing the internal politics, identifying who is really in charge, not bailing out during breakdown, working out your role and whether you are going to be happy with it. Most of this is about knowing how to deal with people - and often comes with age. Lead singers aren't the only prima donnas!
[/quote]

It's riskier hireing the unexperienced than the experienced.

If you owned a newspaper and needed to hire someone to run a printing press are you going to hire the guy with press experience or the guy with no press experience.

IMO it's the same when hireing a musician.

Blue

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1483476395' post='3207546']

If you looked at my Facebook page all you'd find is interior design ideas and some cat stuff posted by my girlfriend. All my music posts are on a separate Terrortones persona page.
[/quote]

And if I saw that page I might assume, music and playing in a rock band is not really much a part of this guys life. I checked his Facebook page and it seems like he's mainly into interior design.

It might not be right, but it could happen.

Blue

Edited by blue

[/quote]

You might not use Facebook when applying for a job with a band, but if they have your name there's nothing stopping them from checking your Facebook page if you have one.

Blue

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1483555205' post='3208234']

What about an old car?
[/quote]

The thing with old car is not really fair. Old car or new car, you don't want this call at 7:00 on a Friday night;

"My car won't start , I have no way of getting to the gig."

Guess it could happen happen to anyone with any car.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1483555148' post='3208232']
I'm not on Facebook and I haven't got a cat or children or a football :)
[/quote]

No cat ? No children ? There's no need for you to be on Facebook is there ? What [i]would[/i] you post pictures of ?

:)

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1483470105' post='3207430']
For a start it depends on the type of band.

For example, 30 years experience is a covers band doesn't automatically make you any use in an originals band.
[/quote]
Why on earth not?? All you are being asked to do is work out how to play some songs and then perform them on stage. The same skills or required whether you are playing covers or originals...

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1483559056' post='3208285']
Why on earth not?? All you are being asked to do is work out how to play some songs and then perform them on stage. The same skills or required whether you are playing covers or originals...
[/quote]

Well, if you spend your whole time playing already-written parts, is it any guarantee that you'll be any good at writing your own ?

I'll point out that I said it doesn't automatically follow, I wasn't suggesting that the two sets of skills are mutually exclusive, as I know they're not.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1483562420' post='3208342']
My lunch?
[/quote]

Could do, food does go down well - I posted a picture of a particularly larger brazil nut I found once. It was more popular than any of my wedding photos I'd posted !

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1483553916' post='3208217']
You might not use Facebook when applying for a job with a band, but if they have your name there's nothing stopping them from checking your Facebook page if you have one.

Blue
[/quote]

Some of us do not use FB, Twittter or any form of social media. This is a consequence of the day job where such things are inadvisable at best and career limiting at worst.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1483566799' post='3208402']
I used to be on there, people enjoyed pictures of morris minor engine parts, they didn't 'like' them but I'm sure they must have loved it, who doesn't enjoy a cylinder head?
[/quote]

I would, my first two cars were Morris Travellers.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1483559056' post='3208285']

[/quote]

Except with an originals band your usually required to do it for free. Huge difference. Money is motivation for many of us.

Blue

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1483567263' post='3208407']

Some of us do not use FB, Twittter or any form of social media. This is a consequence of the day job where such things are inadvisable at best and career limiting at worst.
[/quote]

Agreed, some conservative companies might look at a Facebook page and if they see that your in a rock band they might assume your either a bum, alcoholic or drug user.

Blue

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1483567957' post='3208419']

I would, my first two cars were Morris Travellers.
[/quote]
[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1483571922' post='3208459']

My first car was a Morris Traveller. The Marshall 412 and 100 watt amp were a perfect fit in the back.
[/quote]

There you go, maybe I should get back on face book. :)

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1483586716' post='3208502']
Agreed, some conservative companies might look at a Facebook page and if they see that your in a rock band they might assume your either a bum, alcoholic or drug user.

Blue
[/quote]

Anyone who works in a role with some responsibility and whose name is easily available to the public (teachers, doctors, police officers, professional librarians in national libraries, etc.) has to be very careful what details they allow online.

Not a single teacher I know has a Facebook account in their own name...and it's not their bosses they're avoiding.

Edited by ahpook