Why become a member? ×

Experience Why Is It Important When Hiring A New Band Member

blue

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1483602851' post='3208524']
Anyone who works in a role with some responsibility and whose name is easily available to the public (teachers, doctors, police officers, professional librarians in national libraries, etc.) has to be very careful what details they allow online.

Not a single teacher I know has a Facebook account in their own name...and it's not their bosses they're avoiding.
[/quote]

I know two teachers, and both have Facebook accounts in their own names. They are both my daughters!

Experience/number of years chalked up doesn't tell you about a person's skill level, dedication, commitment, enthusiasm or a whole host of other things. One rule should apply, does the person understand what the role entails and what is required of them? Basically, can they do the job?

The best 2 people I've been in a band with had the least experience of bands. They were head and shoulders above a lot of people I'd encountered who'd have vastly more 'time served'.

I tend to avoid bands advertising for a bass player with experience. It generally turns out to mean "our bass player left 2 days ago, we have a gig at the weekend and want someone that knows our 30 song set...and there'll be no rehearsal". They're essentially call outs for a dep player, which I'm not.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1483686746' post='3209216']
Experience/number of years chalked up doesn't tell you about a person's skill level, dedication, commitment, enthusiasm or a whole host of other things. One rule should apply, does the person understand what the role entails and what is required of them? Basically, can they do the job?

The best 2 people I've been in a band with had the least experience of bands. They were head and shoulders above a lot of people I'd encountered who'd have vastly more 'time served'.

I tend to avoid bands advertising for a bass player with experience. It generally turns out to mean "our bass player left 2 days ago, we have a gig at the weekend and want someone that knows our 30 song set...and there'll be no rehearsal". They're essentially call outs for a dep player, which I'm not.
[/quote]

No argument from me.

Blue

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1483692325' post='3209246']
I love that Blue actually takes the time to reply to pretty much every response to his threads. Too many times someone starts a discussion and then just leaves it to fester, ne'er to return. Class!
[/quote]

Thanks Nancy,

I'm retired and have the time 😁

Bllue

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1483686746' post='3209216']

[/quote]

My thoughts exactly

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1483664856' post='3209203']
Back to experience.

How many of you guys have been through this one.

You schedule an audition and the guy is a "no show" with no call saying he can't make it.

Definitely a trait of the non experienced player.

Blue by
[/quote]

I've had this happen to me a couple of times and it drives me crazy. The worst example was when I even offered to pick the individual up from the train station because he had no transport, (which was confirmed the night before), he said 'great, thanks see you there.' Never saw or heard from him again. He was a guitarist though...😂

[quote name='julesb' timestamp='1483825826' post='3210497']

I've had this happen to me a couple of times and it drives me crazy. The worst example was when I even offered to pick the individual up from the train station because he had no transport, (which was confirmed the night before), he said 'great, thanks see you there.' Never saw or heard from him again. He was a guitarist though...😂
[/quote]

Some of these guys don't think before they audition. Some of these guys are clowns, they don't know where their at or what they're looking for.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1483826548' post='3210505']

Some of these guys don't think before they audition. Some of these guys are clowns, they don't know where their at or what they're looking for.

Blue
[/quote]

True

Edited by julesb

It's an interesting point raised about social media. Music is one of the biggest parts of my life, but if you scroll down my Facebook wall, you'll see a whole lot of stuff (largely tagged by my wife!) about the kids, dogs, current affairs and politics, semi-amusing distractions I've found while browsing the web on the toilet, but relatively very little about gigging. I make my living playing and engineering but I couldn't tell you the last time a picture went up of me on stage or behind a mixing console. Is this why I haven't been asked to join any A-list bands yet?

Is it something people are looking at when making decisions about hiring a band member? Be interesting to hear!

Edited by mike257

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1483920751' post='3211206']
It's an interesting point raised about social media. Music is one of the biggest parts of my life, but if you scroll down my Facebook wall, you'll see a whole lot of stuff (largely tagged by my wife!) about the kids, dogs, current affairs and politics, semi-amusing distractions I've found while browsing the web on the toilet, but relatively very little about gigging. I make my living playing and engineering but I couldn't tell you the last time a picture went up of me on stage or behind a mixing console. Is this why I haven't been asked to join any A-list bands yet?

Is it something people are looking at when making decisions about hiring a band member? Be interesting to hear!
[/quote]

The only thing you'll see on my Facebook page is where my band is playing any particular week and a promo pic of the band.

I am not married or in a relationship other than gigging.

No life, and it took a long time to gain the "no life" status.

Blue

Edited by blue

Thing is most guys that do this for a living and need cash and usually have enough work.

The other guys that only do this occasionally, get rusty and don't keep their chops up, hence they become inexperienced.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1483932311' post='3211217']
Off topic,

Yeah, I need money.

Doing my first DEP gig this Saturday night which means I have [i][b]work [/b][/i]Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Blue
[/quote]

Work? You're out enjoying yourself ;)

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1483945654' post='3211233']

Good luck! Had to prep much new material?
[/quote]

No, none at all, these folks know me and are confident if they call a song and the key I can follow. We're not talking complicated songs or progressive stuff.

I just have to show up with my bass and play for an hour.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1483974249' post='3211568']

:) Good for you, chap. Best wishes and let us know how it goes.
[/quote]

Thanks,

I will, this weekend my plate is full. Band gig Friday, DEP on Saturday and another band gig Sunday afternoon.

Blue