Why become a member? ×

Interesting new Ibanez, even for a 'traditional' player...

Musicman20

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=161215305109008

I have absolutely NO idea how Ibanez manage to make instruments such as this with high specs and pretty low prices, especially as it comes with a custom hardcase, but I must admit, I am a Fender/Musicman only player, and this bass is a very cool idea.

It seems the EADG is fretted, then you get A D and G fretless?!

Very niche, but super cool.

I doubt I'd ever need one but I thought it was interesting. No doubt a boutique manufacturer would charge £3k for something like this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Specs:

Ibanez is the pioneer of modern fretted/fretless hybrid bass development. In 2010 the “Ashula”, SR2010ASC was a rare and innovative limited range bass released, that answered many of the news in the market at that time.

Now Ibanez is pleased to introduce the "New Ashula", SRAS7. As the name "Ashula" indicates the SRAS7 is a fretted and fretless bass hybrid.

While SR2010ASC had two strings on the fretless area, we have added an A-string on SRAS7 so as to enhance octave playing. Additionally, by located the fretted part on a higher note string side, players can perform aggressive styles such as Slapbass with more ease. The iconic fingerboard consists of Rosewood (fretted) and Purpleheart (fretless).

Different radiuses are applied to each section -950mmR (fretted) and 0mmR (fretless). These parameters facilitate chord playing on fretted parts and smooth soloing on the fretless parts. The fretboards are designed to be multi-level which allows an overall smooth and seamless transition between the two sections.

Rigidly fixed with 5 bolts, the 7pc Maple/Purpleheart/Rosewood neck is extremely stable. It transmits the string vibration to the body well and stays in tune when played with firm intonation.

The gorgeous body top of SRAS7 consists of a beautiful Poplar Burl and Ash wood enhanced by a Dragon Eye Burst finish. Deeper cutaway design provides easier access to the upper frets. The detachable finger rest offers two options; placing your thumb near the fretboard outline or in an upper location.

The fretted part is generated by SRAS Super J pickups specially designed for this model. It provides a clear, bright and rich dynamic tone. The fretless part is generated by Aerosilk Piezo system. It enhances an acoustic and wooden sound of similar to an upright bass.

With various tonal possibilities provided by the three-way selection of pickup options magnetic, piezo or a mix of both, the SRAS7 will inspire your musical creativity and curiosity.

The Mono-rail V is the ultimate bridge for bass string isolation. Each bridge is independently and securely locked down to the body for maximum vibration transfer without interference. The "Ashula" expands the possibilities of bass guitar in ways you have never experienced.

Neck type

7pc Maple/Purpleheart/Rosewood neck

Body

Poplar Burl/Ash/Walnut top/Rosewood/
Mahogany back body

Fretboard

Rosewood(Fretted part)/Purpleheart(Fretless part) w/Ashula special inlay

Fret

Fretless for 7th to 5th strings/Medium frets for 4th to 1st strings

Bridge

Monorail V Bridge(fretted), Custom Monorail V Bridge for AeroSilk Piezo System(Fretless) (16㎜ String Spacing /17mm Spacing between 4th and 5th strings)

Neck pickup

SRAS Super J neck pickup(Fretted)

Bridge pickup

SRAS Super J bridge pickup(Fretted)

Equalizer

Ibanez 2band eq(fretted), Active Tone control(fretless) with Piezo/Mix/Magnetic 3way pickup selector

Hardware color

Black matte

String gauge

.045,.065,.085,.105 (+ .045,.065,.080 Flat wound)

Factory tuning

1G, 2D, 3A, 4E (+ 5G, 6D, 7A)

Case/bag

Special hardshell case for SRAS7 included

Edited by Musicman20

That's utterly crackers. Very cool and they will probably sell a few to nuts who like noodling aimlessly but don't want to put the fretless down and pick the fretless up etc. Like me! Good price considering it has fancy wood, piezo, 7 strings etc.

There's something wrong with the image on that link; it seems to be mashing two different necks together with an ugly plank beneath the strings - must be a glitch!

Seriously though, Ibanez really are out of the blocks early in the ugliest bass of the year competition.

Not my kind of thing at all, but swapping the fretted / fretless parts to this from how it used to be on the previous model makes much more sense to me. Fretless for bass parts and walking lines, frets for soloing in high registers.

Might even make sense to make a standard 4 string fretless which is fretted when you get above the 12th fret. Those high notes are tough on a fretless, even if it's lined. (or maybe i could just learn to play fretless better)

Its a great idea, although I suspect for me that it would be just too much neck to get around, I can't even cope with one of the wider 5 strings like jazzes. But it is good that ibanez are still innovating and not like a lot of companies that are just happy to bang out another P or J bass copy.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1483462012' post='3207334']
What's soloing on a bass?
[/quote]

Playing the same as what you have been doing for the rest of the song, only without a guitar wailing away over the top - crowds go mad for it!

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1483461898' post='3207332']
Its a great idea, although I suspect for me that it would be just too much neck to get around, I can't even cope with one of the wider 5 strings like jazzes. But it is good that ibanez are still innovating and not like a lot of companies that are just happy to bang out another P or J bass copy.
[/quote]
This! Totally agree.

I don't know what success means to ibanez, but as they sold what they made, I guess they have. They are certainly very hard to find second hand, so I assume that people are keeping them (and they are relatively uncommon).

I presume what they do (and the stated purpose of their bass workshop ) is make different designs and try out ideas, and if they work and sell they continue them.

That is where the fan fret 5 and 6 came from and as a 4 is joining it this year, I guess that is a success, or a request, and this had a previous version with 2 fretless strings.

• Like 1

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1483461523' post='3207323']
Might even make sense to make a standard 4 string fretless which is fretted when you get above the 12th fret. Those high notes are tough on a fretless, even if it's lined. (or maybe i could just learn to play fretless better)
[/quote]
Unfortunately, the 12th fret would then be the first fret, rendering the fretless part unplayable. Doing the opposite and defretting the upper part has been done though.

EDIT: I suppose someone could make a neck where the frets are recessed and flush with the board, but pop out upon pulling a small lever.

I should patent that.

Edited by ZilchWoolham

[quote name='ZilchWoolham' timestamp='1483477491' post='3207566']

EDIT: I suppose someone could make a neck where the frets are recessed and flush with the board, but pop out upon pulling a small lever.

[/quote]

This has been already done. Remember seeing a video of frets popping in and out of the fretboard.
Here it is:
https://youtu.be/ft3t0YjfXEc

I think the main goal behind the Ibanez Bass Workshop is to get people talk about Ibanez.
They churn out interesting bass designs, none of which are completely new or never done before, run some small batches and have people talk about them.
So in a way it is a clever marketing solution because there is not a lot to talk about for ex the zillionth version of the new Soundgear 5 string with xy top and z neck.
For the record I love my Prestige Ibanez SR basses, but they are doing more or less the same for 20+ years and it is getting harder to get excited about the new model year's finishes, colors etc. With the Bass Workshop they get the excitement back to the brand for a certain degree and its also great for increasing brand image.
I think the Soundgear platform is great, really like the singlecut version and the fanned fret ones as well. I like this one in the OP as well but would be good that they'd do a 'normal' 7 string version, too. Soundgear design seems to fit better for extended range than the BTB of which they already done a 7 string version.

Exactly. Marketing. If they sell half the crazy basses they put out in this way, they cover their target for marketing spend I reckon. It gets people talking, and equating Ibanez with innovation. Some of their (in my opinion) mad ideas have worked: they have sold loads of the 7 and 8 string guitars.