Why become a member? ×

Jumping from BEADG to EADGC

deepbass5

I have just strung my Status electro EADGC just to see how i get on reading in a big band without having to fly up the neck. As i feel a high string is more useful than a low B

Just wondered if many of you have mixed 5 string bass set ups and how you cope, I will still be using my low B set up on my Shuker and Mbass for function band work.

I have been considering going to a 6 for some time, but felt this may be a better option if i get used to it. I have invested in a 6 string set of La Bella clear tape wrap strings, just so i can revert back to B - G if i bottle out.

The La Bella white nylon feel great, heard some good things on them about being smoother and brighter than the black tape wounds which i have been using, so thought i would give them a go
These are 760T-B a basic 5 string set with added c so go 45 - 60 - 70 - 94 - 115 - 135 with the added wrap thickness are quite large, so feel like you are still B - G but i didn't want a zingy thin twangy c string that i break first outing.

Well folks, I've just bottled out and re strung it low B to G, had a fair session on it last night reading some charts that traveled up through the register but I just didn't feel i would have confidence gigging it without a major mishap. 10 years on a standard low B config was gonna take some undoing. :mellow:

Edited by deepbass5

I tune CGCFA using a light 4-string set and heavier single bass string. It seemed sensible (to me) to mirror how guitars are strung with the highest string as A instead of B at that tuning (drop-C, CGCFAD) as that's my background.

Your tuning seems eminently sensible, though. Good luck. :)

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1484220090' post='3213602']
Just play a 6, best of both worlds.

There's a symmetry to a 6 string, the centre 4 strings being a normal 4 string bass. If you're used to playing a 5 in normal low B tuning then that's there, with the bonus of a high C.
[/quote]

This. Got all you ever need in one bass.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1483544982' post='3208102']
I dabbled with high C some years ago, but I really didn't like the tone. To me it always sounded like a cheap and nasty guitar. The same notes always sounded better played on the G or D strings.
[/quote]

I feel the same way - I've never heard a C string in a live context that didn't sound like a bad classical guitar (that includes those belonging to Anthony Jackson and John Patitucci, both of whom are pretty good...).

Having gone through dubious 6 string (too much teenage exposure to Dream Theater) and E-C 5 string (one too many Janek masterclasses) phases, I realise that I can't get on with C strings. I know that others here are fans of them, but it's about the range of the instrument that you [i]hear[/i] in your head; I hear brown notes.

If you're into extensive chordal playing and believe that your solos won't cut unless they're played in guitar territory then the E-C thing is worth a look, but for more 'everyday' applications then I'd say that you're better off sticking with B-G. The possible move to a 6 string brings with it some major technical adjustments and the search for an instrument that doesn't feel like you're playing an ironing board.