Why become a member? ×

Are you a bigot?

BaggyMan

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1487439088' post='3239842']
of course give that the definition of Bigot is, and I copy and paste, 'a person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions' means if you call somebody a bigot you are in fact a bigot :)
[/quote]

No.

It's perfectly possible to tolerate bigotry. Calling someone a bigot doesn't mean you can't tolerate them being one.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1487370839' post='3239438']
In the same way there are vanishingly few debates on BC about re-balancing its overwhelmingly old, white, male profile. Why? Despite all the froth and fury no one here really gives a toss about encouraging 'diversity' because

* Changing things entails we get off our arses and actually do something and that would get in the way of chundering on about our little hobby bands and string gauges and stuff and

* Lots of people here would hate it - not least, I suspect, many of those so fervently and visibly in favour of 'change' - were BC's comfortable 'Old Bobs Club' atmosphere to be dispelled by an influx of teens and women.
[/quote]

There are a couple of interesting points here, and it's true Basschat is largely composed of men of a certain age range. Partly this may be because that's who are drawn to the site, but any concerted effort to bring a more diverse range of people here would feel a bit contrived. I reckon we could do better at not making people outside of the usual demographic feel uncomfortable though. I'm thinking of things like the time when it was quite reasonably suggested that incessant knob jokes were perhaps not the best way for middle aged guys to interact with women closer to their kids' age, and people didn't seem willing to take that on board.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1487446679' post='3239917']

There are a couple of interesting points here, and it's true Basschat is largely composed of men of a certain age range. Partly this may be because that's who are drawn to the site, but any concerted effort to bring a more diverse range of people here would feel a bit contrived. I reckon we could do better at not making people outside of the usual demographic feel uncomfortable though. I'm thinking of things like the time when it was quite reasonably suggested that incessant knob jokes were perhaps not the best way for middle aged guys to interact with women closer to their kids' age, and people didn't seem willing to take that on board.
[/quote]

Also we don't use text speak here so it pretty much is a non starter with anyone who can't spell or use proper grammar.

I was on a forum where it was rigidly enforced. Kids lasted about 10 posts before they'd had enough.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1487476053' post='3240074']
I imagine many young people might be deterred by the frequent references to 1960's TV shows and discontinued lines of confectionery, not to mention the steady drip of RIP threads.
[/quote]

So if Basschat was a pub, it'd be one of those with knackered carpets, cheap pints of 80 shilling and bags of pork scratchings behind the bar. I presume the bass playing youth can be found on some Reddit sub-forum or other, rather than older style sites like this.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1487495982' post='3240123']

So if Basschat was a pub, it'd be one of those with knackered carpets, cheap pints of 80 shilling and bags of pork scratchings behind the bar
[/quote]
And most importantly , the wall hanger with Big D's that slowly revealed itself when you had your nuts ;-)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1487532207' post='3240551']
Oh ffs, I've put 50p on the edge of it, which as we know means it is now legally binding that I'm on next, loser racks up......
[/quote]

I can't see your name on the blackboard.

We've been waiting an hour to get on....

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1487533175' post='3240575']
Nope never heard that rule, and you CAN shoot the white backwards too before you start!

Are we nominating which pocket for the black?
[/quote]

No but you only get one shot on the black,no free shots carried over and if you foul on the black you forfeit the game.

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1487530908' post='3240524']
There's a queue , mate.

Also, dont touch the nuts in a bowl on the bar.
[/quote]

Get out you youngster. I've been eating snacks off the bar all my life and it never did me any harm. All that new fangled scientific analysis. Poke it.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1487539438' post='3240668']
Get out you youngster. I've been eating snacks off the bar all my life and it never did me any harm. All that new fangled scientific analysis. Poke it.
[/quote]

Who said eating pub nuts would do you any harm ?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1487539741' post='3240670']

"So the band in here last night, guy comes out, long fur coat and frilly panties, that's different I thought but then I noticed the bloody drummer, wearing a watch I tell ya, in here, The Coach And Horses, a bleedin' wrist watch!".
[/quote]

Hahaha!!

And they probably turned up without d&b monitors too.