Why become a member? ×

Are you a bigot?

BaggyMan

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1483489440' post='3207692']
must remember to tell our singer he's a bigot, he thinks that anybody that votes UKIP is a ****
[/quote]

Mrs C thinks anyone who hasn't abandoned capitalism, given away their house and moved into a yurt is a ****

Unless your White, Straight and Male, in which case you are an irredeemable super **** regardless of whether you live in a yurt or not...

Edited by CamdenRob

I guess if you're a band looking to land a record deal or shooting for fame, pushing down the commercial tunnel, then yes it matters. In that case, you have to have an image to accompany the music to drive the punters crazy to sell records, gain followers, build a buzz, create a brand. You can't have a consistent, appealing image in most commercial genres if the singer is barely out of nappies and the bass player looks like his granddad, even if they are the best musicians for the band. Maybe some bands will sacrifice the better players for a player that 'fits' the look. (Such as Ringo Starr in The Beatles? Didn't Lennon kick him off drums in the studio or whatever? But he was still there on the press shoots and on stage...)

On the other hand, if you're a band just enjoying yourselves, playing for the fun of it, not trying to make a mark on the music industry - then it's irrelevant what you all look like, what gender or age you are as you're simply there to enjoy the music!

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1483460926' post='3207313']
I'm old. I'm overweight (slightly) I'm bald. Why on Earth would I expect to be taken on by a band of 20 year olds who all look like Jack Sparrow and Edward Scissor-hands just because I can play well?

The same reason my tight leather black jeans have remained in the wardrobe for 17 years. I don't fit the bill (or the jeans)

It's not ageist, sexist, racist or any other ist. We're just not what they're looking for.
[/quote]

This. By the same token, I wouldn't hire a player who was obviously out of sympathy with what I'm trying to do (dad rock). Horses for courses. It ain't bigoted, just realistic.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1483521841' post='3207784']
... & the Drummist is a 25 year old Sassenach from Wick.

[/quote]

I didn't think anyone from Wick could possibly be described as a Sassenach, or is there a surprisingly large ex-pat colony of jolly old English people there?

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1483528362' post='3207865']
I didn't think anyone from Wick could possibly be described as a Sassenach, or is there a surprisingly large ex-pat colony of jolly old English people there?
[/quote]
He's originally from Dunstable, but moved up in his early teens to Wick & then recently moved down to Perth.

What the above posted (because quote post keeps playing up).
Every awards before a specific one targeted at (for example) POC - is in effect a White, middle class, award. It's privilege - and it applies to pretty much every area of modern western civilisation.

I can see how having a targeted ad helps a band's identity and probably their chances of success, but that itself further reinforces privilege and systemic bigotry/racism.

I chose bigot as a word to describe all types of 'ism' bias i guess.
Lots of valid points about "would you want to be a 50 something yr old bass player in a band with 15yr girls.." and so on. Totally get that , sometimes its just not the right thing..

I suppose what i was suggesting is that we as musicians need not type cast/think of ourselves as this or that genre or 'type', yet invariably we all do.

So, yeah my first post focussed on being older (becuase..i am and had practical examples to assit the point) , and being fed up with being pigeon holed.
I suppose the overall point is stay loose in our thinking and we might get a surprise what the outcome might be eh?

Being a white skinned guy with a very dark skinned birth father it's difficult to know what I actually am anyway.

I've been the only white skinned guy in an all black all male band

I've been the only white skinned guy in an all black , mixed gender band

I've been in all white bands and mixed race bands of various gender make ups

I've been in bands with ex mods, rockers , hippies , privileged people, poor people , nice people and not so nice

I've also been in bands with Chinese, Vietamise, Scottish , Irish , Italian , French and many more

I'm not quite sure what the question is ?

Edited by lojo

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1483532576' post='3207935']
Does that really make you uncomfortable?
[/quote]No, let me explain myself better, it's the potential 'difficulties' you'd experience if you announced a MOWO. Not on racial grounds, but from the impression I get that all popular music stems from a drum being banged in darkest Africa.

Quote:

"Once past a certain age one should put aside childish things like 'being in a band' and focus on technique, performance and a mastery of one's instrument. Once achieved, one should establish a loose collective with like-minded geriatrics and play jazz. I understand that it's big in Felixstowe so I can't see why it can't be rolled out on a national basis."

It's happening!

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1483460903' post='3207312']
I've always been slightly uncomfortable about the MOBO awards. Is there a MOWO awards?
[/quote]

No because those that are called politically correct, but who in their actions are anything but, would scream racism at anyone attempting this.

Re the original question, well last year there was an ad for a bassist of specific colour and I contacted the mods about it, posing the question that if I, a white English male, in a skinhead punk band, had put up an ad asking for a white only musician, how would it have been taken, and as such maybe all ads should be looked at equally. I think the reply took some 3 months to come through.

I`d be willing to bet that if I`d posted said ad it would have been closed within 3 hours.

Also, positive discrimination - it is exactly that, someone positively being discriminated against. Don`t let anyone fool you with this phrase, it equates to someone being treated differently due to their gender/race/age/religion/colour.

Edited by Lozz196

When I was young, less than 10 years old perhaps, I thought only black guys could be the best bassists because all the best bands had a cool black guy on bass, I now realise they were the top session guys we all know and love. Most of my favourite bass players are black guys still, am I discriminating against white bassists or giving positive discrimination towards black bassists? In fact I really like Esperanza Spalding so maybe I'm anti white men bassists, lol.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1483539494' post='3208035']
Being a white skinned guy with a very dark skinned birth father it's difficult to know what I actually am anyway.

I've been in bands with ex mods, rockers , hippies , privileged people, poor people , nice people and not so nice

I've also been in bands with Chinese, Vietamise, Scottish , Irish , Italian , French and many more

[/quote]

I see myself as English as I was born in England. I'm white. My parents were Scottish and white. When I went to Scotland as a child I was not allowed in most relatives houses as I was English? People here think I'm Scottish as my parents were Scottish, although I have no Scottish accent and show their same traits? Born in a barn syndrome. Seems I have no country really! I think everybody is equal but I know there's no Utopia.

It doesn't matter what you or anybody else thinks, as long as you don't hurt anyone. Bigotry taught me that.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1483539494' post='3208035']

[/quote]

One of the bands I play with I'm the only black guy in an all white English band playing rock n roll, 50, 60 & 70's pop music to an all white audience.
Another I depped with a couple of times last year is an all white female acoustic indie band and it was the only time they had worked with a male musician.
No probes with either

Edited by jazzyvee