Why become a member? ×

Are you a bigot?

BaggyMan

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1483465512' post='3207376']
Originally the minority (black music) or whatever that is, has def become the majority in music today. Which I think Is good. But I think, like everything in life there some balance to be had. I think that's what Prince and his recruitment of band members was nodding at.Black, White Female, Male etc. . He cared because of the multi image he wanted to put across that music is equal.
[/quote]

You need saw any ugly people in Prince's bands though.

In an audition situation that would have ruled me out of the running even before he realised that my playing is not up to the required standard.

Edited by Cato

A long time ago, I used to site Juke Boxes for a major operator.
I was sent to a well-known Council Estate to chat to a (very) Irish Landlord.
He wanted two separate jukes, one in each bar - with different records.
It took a while to work out that one side catered for Catholics, and the other for Protestants.
...Wouldn't happen now?....I'm not convinced.

:ph34r:

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1483457810' post='3207270']
Seems to me that the 'bigotry' stuff at the start of the post is there as a lead-in to a heartfelt if entirely conventional wail about being rejected by bands (or impeded from applying) because of one's years on the planet being greater in total than the combined age of the rollicking pups who placed the ad.

I don't think band ageism has got anything to do with competence or lack thereof. It's because peppy young things don't want to spend time hanging out with people who remind them of their dad, may possibly smell of wee and gig a teeny rig because of their bad back. The other thing is that older men have usually lost whatever good looks they had by the time they're thirty and the mythical record company will immediately finger any uglies or crumblies as a no-no and demand their ejection before pen hits paper.

Keeping coffin-dodgers out of bands is good commercial sense. Music is an outpost of fashion and fashion is all about looking cute. Put three trim, handsome lads onstage alongside a superannuated warthog dressed like a sack of sh*t tied up in the middle and audience members from the age of 5 to 65 will point and laugh and cry 'Who is that silly old fool up there, prancing around like a spavined eejit? Who is he? Do tell?' and filming it on their smartphones and tweeting it as '!!!This OAP is in the wrong band!!!'

And rightly so. Once past a certain age one should put aside childish things like 'being in a band' and focus on technique, performance and a mastery of one's instrument. Once achieved, one should establish a loose collective with like-minded geriatrics and play jazz. I understand that it's big in Felixstowe so I can't see why it can't be rolled out on a national basis.
[color=#ffffe0].[/color]
[/quote]

Agreed, you won't catch me trying to fit in with a bunch of 20 somethings. Hell at 63 most bands with 40 year olds wouldn't give me a second look.

You might see the ad that indicates "age doesn't matter" What they really mean is age doesn't matter, but we're not going to hire you if your an old guy.

Blue

[quote name='BaggyMan' timestamp='1483454158' post='3207221']
How many adverts for 'all female band seeks...." Hmmm getting trickier positive discrimination is allowed i guess
[/quote]

Positive discrimination ? All you know is they want to form a band with women in, that's all !

I don't think there's anything for 'us' (I'm 58 next month) to worry about. People of my age are always going to want to hear our stuff in pubs. Of course a young whippersnapper can learn Alright Now and Brown Sugar but he/she doesn't need to - they can just keep playing Sex on Fire 'til they're in their fifties :D

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1483468695' post='3207407']
A long time ago, I used to site Juke Boxes for a major operator.
[/quote]
When, and who? My first ever job (Saturday and school holidays) was dinking records for jukebox operators. Early 80's. May have supplied you as there weren't many others doing this.

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1483476433' post='3207549']
^^^ I left in 1979 - as a matter of interest, the company was Peter Simper, based in Bath.
Did you work for Larens?

:)
[/quote]
Ah, no. The other Ray, Levy, not Laren. Saying early 80's, I've realised I started in 77 - I'm older than I thought 😖

We recently advertised for a lead vocalist/frontman. Frontman was used as opposed to Frontperson a) wouldn't fit on the poster and b ) as a rock band we assumed the majority of applicants would be male.
We were pulled up on this on Facebook by a few people and after the explanation all was good - we now have an amazing female 'FrontLass' as she puts it and was no way put off by the ad. She was more determined by it!

Edited by grunge666

I am left wondering if we can start a band of 50+ (age and number) massed (aka overweight) bass players. Not sure about the commercial viability but we can rehearse (prior to the hearse) and enjoy the music :gas:

Edited by 3below

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1483479788' post='3207599']
I am left wondering if we can start a band of 50+ (age and number) massed (aka overweight) bass players. Not sure about the commercial viability but we can rehearse (prior to the hearse) and enjoy the music :gas:
[/quote]

[b] SMV[/b]

SMV was a bass guitar supergroup formed in 2008. The group's name comes from the first initials of each of its members, Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller, and Victor Wooten. The collaboration gained momentum when the three first played together at a concert held by Bass Player magazine in New York City in 2006, where Miller and Wooten joined on stage to present Clarke with the magazine's Lifetime Achievement Award. SMV's debut album, Thunder, was released on August 12, 2008, with a supporting world tour beginning the same month.

- from Wikipedia

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QST9Joizdjs[/media]

[s]...If I can remember where it is I have a clip of an 11 piece line up of bassists, stand by[/s]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdRG-hD5ZKo[/media]

@ 3below, I can't see why not

Edited by SpondonBassed

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1483480673' post='3207609']
[b] SMV[/b]

SMV was a bass guitar supergroup formed in 2008. The group's name comes from the first initials of each of its members, Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller, and Victor Wooten. The collaboration gained momentum when the three first played together at a concert held by Bass Player magazine in New York City in 2006, where Miller and Wooten joined on stage to present Clarke with the magazine's Lifetime Achievement Award. SMV's debut album, Thunder, was released on August 12, 2008, with a supporting world tour beginning the same month.

- from Wikipedia

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QST9Joizdjs[/media]

[s]...If I can remember where it is I have a clip of an 11 piece line up of bassists, stand by[/s]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdRG-hD5ZKo[/media]

@ 3below, I can't see why not
[/quote]

Is it called a 'bass bash' :)

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1483470620' post='3207435']
I don't think there's anything for 'us' (I'm 58 next month) to worry about. People of my age are always going to want to hear our stuff in pubs.
[/quote]

Hmm.. pretty rough for me then, I am 52 and the last thing I want to hear is blues and 70s rock.

Although my groups average age would be below 35 if I wasn't there, and they are the ones that want to do the 70s sh*t, so I guess it is ok.

This is not the first time I've seen ads like this down here: [url="http://www.joinmyband.co.uk/classifieds/old-guys-after-2nd-guitarist-bass-player-and-vocalist-t936536.html"]http://www.joinmyband.co.uk/classifieds/old-guys-after-2nd-guitarist-bass-player-and-vocalist-t936536.html[/url]

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1483463193' post='3207349']
Bigot = "a person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions"

[/quote]must remember to tell our singer he's a bigot, he thinks that anybody that votes UKIP is a ****

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1483487712' post='3207688']
This is not the first time I've seen ads like this down here: [url="http://www.joinmyband.co.uk/classifieds/old-guys-after-2nd-guitarist-bass-player-and-vocalist-t936536.html"]http://www.joinmyban...st-t936536.html[/url]
[/quote]

I would reply to that one if i wasn't already in a group!

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1483457810' post='3207270']
Seems to me that the 'bigotry' stuff at the start of the post is there as a lead-in to a heartfelt if entirely conventional wail about being rejected by bands (or impeded from applying) because of one's years on the planet being greater in total than the combined age of the rollicking pups who placed the ad.

I don't think band ageism has got anything to do with competence or lack thereof. It's because peppy young things don't want to spend time hanging out with people who remind them of their dad, may possibly smell of wee and gig a teeny rig because of their bad back. The other thing is that older men have usually lost whatever good looks they had by the time they're thirty and the mythical record company will immediately finger any uglies or crumblies as a no-no and demand their ejection before pen hits paper.

Keeping coffin-dodgers out of bands is good commercial sense. Music is an outpost of fashion and fashion is all about looking cute. Put three trim, handsome lads onstage alongside a superannuated warthog dressed like a sack of sh*t tied up in the middle and audience members from the age of 5 to 65 will point and laugh and cry 'Who is that silly old fool up there, prancing around like a spavined eejit? Who is he? Do tell?' and filming it on their smartphones and tweeting it as '!!!This OAP is in the wrong band!!!'

And rightly so. Once past a certain age one should put aside childish things like 'being in a band' and focus on technique, performance and a mastery of one's instrument. Once achieved, one should establish a loose collective with like-minded geriatrics and play jazz. I understand that it's big in Felixstowe so I can't see why it can't be rolled out on a national basis.
[color=#ffffe0].[/color]
[/quote]

Chortle!

Our band at the moment comprises of three 50+ musicians a 30+ musician. I was talking to a 19 year old keyboard player and she said she would love to join us. Age or gender is not always an obstacle. It's how you feel about yourself. We have fun and play music.

My band is a good mix of ages & races. I'm a 46 year old Scot of Norweigian descent, the singist is 30 & also a Scot. The guitarist is about as old as me & from South Africa & the Drummist is a 25 year old Sassenach from Wick.

The important things to me is that the musicians are just that... Musicians.
Maybe that makes me a bigot? :lol: