Why become a member? ×

EBS Billy Sheehan vs Microtubes B3K or other???

Max Normal

I have been using an EHX Big muff Pi Bass and I don't find it a very good pedal at all. It's too fuzzy and you lose the low end and it doesn't sit well in the mix. The GF has given me permission to replace it so I need some help!

I'd like maybe to split the signal and have both a clean and dirty sound if this is the best solution?

I'm not a particular Billy Sheehan fanatic, and I don't need to play many bass solos in my current outfit, but it looks like a good pedal.

Mainly, I'm playing things like Zep, ZZ top, Rory Gallagher etc right now, and I need some nice tonally sounding dirt that cuts through the mix without sounding like a chainsaw (especially for the early ZZ top stuff).

To give you an idea of my sound, current setup is:

Sterling SB14 bass (soon to be an EBMM Stingray).
Ampeg SVT 3 pro head
Ampeg SVT classic 4x10
EBS Multicomp (and some other stuff on the board that is not on all the time so not relevent here).

Any advice appreciated!

[quote name='Max Normal' timestamp='1483459143' post='3207292']
I have been using an EHX Big muff Pi Bass and I don't find it a very good pedal at all. It's too fuzzy and you lose the low end and it doesn't sit well in the mix. The GF has given me permission to replace it so I need some help!

I'd like maybe to split the signal and have both a clean and dirty sound if this is the best solution?

I'm not a particular Billy Sheehan fanatic, and I don't need to play many bass solos in my current outfit, but it looks like a good pedal.

Mainly, I'm playing things like Zep, ZZ top, Rory Gallagher etc right now, and I need some nice tonally sounding dirt that cuts through the mix without sounding like a chainsaw (especially for the early ZZ top stuff).

To give you an idea of my sound, current setup is:

Sterling SB14 bass (soon to be an EBMM Stingray).
Ampeg SVT 3 pro head
Ampeg SVT classic 4x10
EBS Multicomp (and some other stuff on the board that is not on all the time so not relevent here).

Any advice appreciated!
[/quote]

Hey dude, for my 2 pennies worth, i use the B7K Darkglass and it can do all range of tones. My set up is fairly similar to yours too in the fact i use Ampeg SVT4x10 cabs and an Ernie Ball Stingray bass (Hartke 3500 head but close enough) and yeah, can honestly say it's a great pedal with a wide variation on it. Also, I tend to jam a lot of ZZ Top with a friend and can definitely get that fuzzy Dusty Hill tone from it! So that's my recommendation anyway.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1483459583' post='3207296']
I'll plug my fav dirt pedal, the Ashdown Lomenzo Hyperdrive. Great job!
[/quote]

Ahhh i love that pedal, wish I still had my old one too so i could run it with the B7K

I use the Billy and the Billy deluxe, too.
I've never ever used or like distrotion before I got the first edition of the BS Drive pedal but I use quite a lot ever since.
The reason for that is that with the blend knob I can add just a small amount of dirt, grit without altering the original signal. It does not loose any low end, actually it does not touch the original signal, just adds the distortion and with the blend you can dial in the amount you like.
The compressor in it is a great feature, too (works quite like the Multicomp which I also own and use for years)

I can't comment on the comparison with the Darkglass product(s) since I've never tried one in flesh. I've toyed with the idea of getting a B7K but after going through soundsamples and videos of it I have decided that it is not offering anything more for me that what the Billy already does and again, I do not use heavy distortion (which the Billy also can do, too)

I'm partial to the EBS pedals because they work really well (love their amps, too) but Darkglass is putting out great products, too.
The Billy costs less than a B3K (or B7K)

I've only used the Vintage Microtubes from Darkglass, but liked it for only one warmer subtle overdrive that I actually want to try a Blueberry for.

I have the Billy however, and quite like it for the reasons Paulhauser mentioned, amongst others. I use it more as a always on 'boost' pedal (if that isn't a contradiction) rather than a big overdrive; I think its strength is at cutting through the mix. I have it at relatively high drive and tone settings but with a low blend, and it really gives your sound some wallop. Doesn't sound great on its own in my opinion, and I was actually pretty disappointed with it when I first had a fiddle, but it sits so well with a guitar (especially if they haven't EQd sympathetically to your sonic space...).

I would say that it has quite a distinct and unique voicing, which possibly could be a bit Marmite. It's pretty dry and bright, whilst retaining presence. I definitely wouldn't use it for quite a lot of music I like to play, but equally don't particularly want to shift it as occasionally it's the only pedal I want: go figure...

Just had a fiddle with the settings before replying, running through a Hotone Thunderbass (a baby clone was the closest I could get to your Ampeg...) and the extremes were more hairy traditional drive, rather than modern metallic fuzz to my ears. But always with this fairly dry cutting tone, which as mentioned sounds a bit naff soloed, but makes sense with a distorted guitar.

[quote name='Max Normal' timestamp='1483467425' post='3207390']
Thanks for your suggestions guys. I'm checking out video reviews for those pedals right now. Also looking at the MXR M89 which looks good bang for the buck and has a blend knob.
[/quote]

Tough choice, I love Darkglass and the EBS Sheehan pedals. I've got the Sheehan Deluxe on my board now and I love it. I do miss the addition of the EQ on board the Vintage Deluxe I had, but it's not a big problem as my effects unit has a big parametric EQ on it anyway. I've reviewed a number of Darkglass pedals and both the Sheehan pedals. They all do their thing very well and are at the top of of drive pedal list. I really liked the new Vintage Ultra, that's really nice and I'd like one of those on my board. I've not had the B7k Ultra in my paws yet... or the new amp for that matter!! DOUG!!!!!

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1483459583' post='3207296']
I'll plug my fav dirt pedal, the Ashdown Lomenzo Hyperdrive. Great job!
[/quote]

This! I also own the Muff and it's a great pedal, but not for what you want. The LoMenzo Hyperdrive will do a great job in front of your Ampeg rig. It's been doing it for me for around 5 years now. Massively overlooked pedal probably because it's not manufactured in the US or some posh Scandinavian country. Search for the demo on YouTube with James LoMenzo himself explaining all about it.