Why become a member? ×

Old timers

slystewart

I have been in bands since I was 20 and now 63 started on guitar then moved to bass , a move I should have made years ago as the most enjoyable time I ever had.
The bands I have been in have all been long term bands one lasting 20 years and the one I'm in just over 10. Other members in the band some older than me have been talking of calling it a day this year.
Now I feel I would like to carry on maybe join others I believe I still have a few years , so the issue is and this might come to others ,you still have the drive wanting to play to people but the pool of music friends seems to be getting smaller... adverts all seen to want younger people and most of my music friends have either given up way back and moved on to other things.
So I'm just start to look about ...but not easy... Stewart

It's all down to why you want to play.

If it's just for financial reasons. Yes, it's going to be tough at 63. (I'm 65 next week)

If it's the pleasure and experience of playing with other musicians, they're out there and, if you don't mind doing a few charity or freebee social gigs, you'll probably get another 15 years out of it.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1483484629' post='3207667']
It's all down to why you want to play.

If it's just for financial reasons. Yes, it's going to be tough at 63. (I'm 65 next week)

If it's the pleasure and experience of playing with other musicians, they're out there and, if you don't mind doing a few charity or freebee social gigs, you'll probably get another 15 years out of it.
[/quote]

Very much agree - I've had to look a little harder for bands as I've got older and I work more with people on projects rather than long-term bands, but there's opportunities out there.

Edited by ahpook

Still plenty of paying gigs out there for us old phartes.

I am in my seventies & still working regularly, although I "retired" from full time pro stuff in 2006..
I've been in a long-term band for 6 or 7 years and counting and get a bunch of dep work and "guest appearances" (grin)

An awful lot of it seems to depend on how old you are in your head and if you shuffle around like a coffin dodger or not.
Helps that I sing and can also do guitar.
Thankfully I can still fake it with the best of 'em... :D

If I can still afford to retire a bit early I'd like to do more travelling if I'm physically up to it which won't be condusive to being in a regular band so I'll probably have to quit for a while. It's then going to be down to how interested I am in what might be on offer once I'm in a position to commit the amount of time required to do it properly again. I could well be mid sixties by then and if there's nothing that gets me excited musically I will just spend more time doing the other things I have too little time for at present.

Unless something happens that physically prevents me from playing music I think I'll probably be doing it until I drop.

Most people my age (mid 50s) are heading towards being child and mortgage-free (if they are not already) and retirement so those of us who are still interested in playing in a band will have more time and energy for it than at any time since their mid-20s.

Never been paid for playing. In fact I only performed at two events and they were little more than gatherings for the bright young musos of the time in Dublin. I don't think we even came near breaking even on the expenses

Thirty plus years on I have picked up again but without the handicap of wanting to be popular as a musician. I just want to encourage folk to dance. I have had a good offer but there were snags that made it impossible to commit and be reliable for the band concerned.

I have now decided to form my own band. I'd say my not driving is more of an impediment to me than my bald spot and grey hair. I can locate "compatible" musicians but unless they can come to me for practice it is difficult.

Ideally, it would be good to forge links with a local drummer who can leave his or her kit at mine. The idea being that for the first year or so, we'd get tight on melodic rhythm together through regular practice. At some point I'd look at bringing in a front person, keys or guitar. That's the latest notion anyway.

Gawd help us all if it works.

Edited by SpondonBassed

Age is just an excuse for most people to stop doing things. Our keys player is 71 and he is the best musician I have ever played with. I am 65 in March and I play more now than ever before cos I dont have to work for the man anymore. Use it or lose it.

As I pointed out in my earlier post there are 2 sides to this. I can just about juggle a day job and playing in a band fairly regularly. What my day job doesn't allow for is buggering off abroad for 3 or 4 weeks at a time. Hence if I'm fit enough (and can afford) for travel when I retire and free up that time I'm not just going to be doing more of what I'm already doing but doing the things that time constarints of the job currently don't permit.

I'm 56 and only started playing in bands again at 50 after being away for 15yrs and i've had several great offers. My current funk / blues band has a guitarist at 70 and one at 65 and singer at 68. Keys is the guitarists son and drummer is new and not sure his age but think he's circa 50 ish.
The mental attitude to playing good gigs is still there with them all and they nearly all have another band on the go for making money doing the clubs etc. This band is more for self satisfaction and enjoyment playing music they like themselves.
Have to say i'm enjoying this more than ever before.
Don't feel age has much to do with it.
I know lots of musicians my age playing in various styles of bands from metal to blues to Glam rock and not just playing the clubs for money. They are all doing it because they enjoy it and they get a good following at gigs too.

My advice is never give up until you really want to.

Dave

I started playing again in my early 50's and if someone had told me I'd still be doing it 12 years later I'd have said they were mad, but I still am and intend to carry on for a few more years yet, if you're physically up to it why not? and at my time of life I've got more time, and more money to spend on gear, it's great to be honest. Oh yeah and a partner that gives you support instead of grief helps a lot.

I'm coming up to 59, been a professional bassist for 25 years now. Expected/hoped I could maybe get 10 years doing
it before running out of bands / gigs to work with, and never thought I could get away with it for this long!!
Thank god for lightweight gear, as shifting kit around has been the bane of my musical life. My back is reasonably okay
despite years of humping heavy gear, but an accident means that I have to play the lightest basses I can due
to a shoulder injury. I also do lots of travelling, which can be problematic for my body at times. Still doing it though!
Would be so chuffed if I could make it to my retirement, so fingers crossed.......

Edited by casapete

[size=5]TO RETIREMENT AND BEYOND[/size] [size=4]D[/size] [size=3]D[/size] [size=2]D[/size] [size=1]D[/size]!

Why limit yourself? I'm all for playing at my own funeral if I can get the undertaker to connect the jump leads to the right bits.

Edited by SpondonBassed

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1483805567' post='3210265']
[size=5]TO RETIREMENT AND BEYOND[/size] [size=4]D[/size] [size=3]D[/size] [size=2]D[/size] [size=1]D[/size]!

Why limit yourself? I'm all for playing at my own funeral if I can get the undertaker to connect the jump leads to the right bits.
[/quote]

Should have said my aim whilst doing what I now do is to make it to my retirement age ( as defined by my state pension, currently 66. <_< )
After that, who knows? Can't see me ever not wanting to be in a band, been doing it for 45 years so far.

If I played in your band, Pete, I'd feel motivated to keep on getting out of bed... :) 'The ELO Experience' for anyone who doesn't know, and they are fantastic! I saw you again at the Cliff's Pavilion this year, btw!

I am 59, had my first gig at 50 and am loving every minute of it.