Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot SM150 Amp query

dmccombe7

I recently picked up one of these amp heads for not a lot of money to use and leave at our rehearsal room. I'm not a huge fan of the clean hi-fi sound it has and can't find any manual on it. Looks like its an older amp head but in good condition.

My query is the E.Q. balance control. ?

Does anyone know what its for. ? Its positioned in the same section as the balanced output and the effects send / return.

If anyone has a manual for it that they could attach that might help.

Dave

The Eq balance control acts like a pivot from the centre band on the EQ IIRC. To the left bumps up the upper mids and highs and to the right boosts the bass and low mids (or was it the other way around?!) :)

It is supposed to be a quick way of fine tuning your sound to the room you're playing in, to cut boom and whatnot quickly and easily.

Edited by 40hz

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1483531325' post='3207915']
The Eq balance control acts like a pivot from the centre band on the EQ IIRC. To the left bumps up the upper mids and highs and to the right boosts the bass and low mids (or was it the other way around?!) :)

It is supposed to be a quick way of fine tuning your sound to the room you're playing in, to cut boom and whatnot quickly and easily.
[/quote]

This is how I remember it worked as well.

Edited by ahpook

Cheers guys that should explain a bit as it had been set at 2pm ish on dial which i think was boosting certain frequencies and i just can't seem to get around them with the graphic on its own. I'll run it "flat" at next rehearsal and tweak it from there see how it changes the sound.
Lot more to Trace amps than i first thought.

Cheers
Dave

You'll not find a specific manual for a 150SM although a quick google search for the SM series should see you find it rather quickly. Trace used the SM pre-amp on the smaller BLX range right through to the giant AH1200SM so they didn't do a manual for each just one for the entire 7-band range..

[quote name='VTypeV4' timestamp='1483558472' post='3208275']
You'll not find a specific manual for a 150SM although a quick google search for the SM series should see you find it rather quickly. Trace used the SM pre-amp on the smaller BLX range right through to the giant AH1200SM so they didn't do a manual for each just one for the entire 7-band range..
[/quote]

That's a fair collection of bikes you have there.
All current or is it a history collection. ?

Dave

They're usually in a PDF format so it should open in your browser or in Acrobat reader? As suggested previously, the balance knob sort of tilts the character of your sound between neutral (irrespective of EQ / pre-shape settings) at the 12 o'clock position and a brighter thinner sound as it's turned clockwise or conversely, a fatter darker sound if it's turned anti-clockwise.. Personally I found leaving it centered and using the graphic to sculpt the sound worked best.

Watch the 50Hz slider as it can add lots of sub into your sound which can really muddy things up if boosted too much - personally I always cut it by between -3 and -6dB depending on the gig with my old 300SM, 715 or Twin-Valve combo. If you need warmth add it at 100Hz and your speakers will love you for it.. :D

The bikes are kind of current - I need to update it a little..

The '87 FJ is part way through a restoration and some mods although I've not done much on it for a while.

The '92 FJ is sadly history as I got knocked off it last May which killed it at 99 thousand miles. I've since replaced it with a low mileage '89 FJ which is superb despite it's vintage years. I like FJs just in case you'd not noticed!

My '80 CX is current and running well althhough it's currently on SORN whilst the roads are covered in salt.

I love my '89 NC30 as it's a head banger - a tiny terror thats more than capable of upsetting much more powerful and newer bikes. In Germany last year at the Nurbugring it lived with a two R1s, a Street Triple R and a Zed Thou..

And lastly the Kawasaki - that now lives three doors up the road with my next door but one neighbour who plans to restore it with his brother in law.

Have a look on the 'Who rides motorbikes' thread in off topic and you'll find some pix of all of them.. B)

[quote name='VTypeV4' timestamp='1483584467' post='3208498']
They're usually in a PDF format so it should open in your browser or in Acrobat reader? As suggested previously, the balance knob sort of tilts the character of your sound between neutral (irrespective of EQ / pre-shape settings) at the 12 o'clock position and a brighter thinner sound as it's turned clockwise or conversely, a fatter darker sound if it's turned anti-clockwise.. Personally I found leaving it centered and using the graphic to sculpt the sound worked best.

Watch the 50Hz slider as it can add lots of sub into your sound which can really muddy things up if boosted too much - personally I always cut it by between -3 and -6dB depending on the gig with my old 300SM, 715 or Twin-Valve combo. If you need warmth add it at 100Hz and your speakers will love you for it.. :D

The bikes are kind of current - I need to update it a little..

The '87 FJ is part way through a restoration and some mods although I've not done much on it for a while.

The '92 FJ is sadly history as I got knocked off it last May which killed it at 99 thousand miles. I've since replaced it with a low mileage '89 FJ which is superb despite it's vintage years. I like FJs just in case you'd not noticed!

My '80 CX is current and running well althhough it's currently on SORN whilst the roads are covered in salt.

I love my '89 NC30 as it's a head banger - a tiny terror thats more than capable of upsetting much more powerful and newer bikes. In Germany last year at the Nurbugring it lived with a two R1s, a Street Triple R and a Zed Thou..

And lastly the Kawasaki - that now lives three doors up the road with my next door but one neighbour who plans to restore it with his brother in law.

Have a look on the 'Who rides motorbikes' thread in off topic and you'll find some pix of all of them.. B)
[/quote]

Thanks for that. It does verify my own thoughts on the 50Hz slider. As soon as i used it the sound became very bottom ended and muddy. Tend to have that neutral and use the 100Hz boosted a touch altho i did notice the EQ balance was set at approx 2 o clock and just couldn't really find that sweet spot i was looking for but bringing it back to flat and starting afresh should help next rehearsal.

Will check the pics on Off Topic section.

cheers
Dave

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1483618439' post='3208687']
try this link [url="http://www.21frets.com/catalogs/Smx.pdf"]http://www.21frets.c...atalogs/Smx.pdf[/url]
Trace Elliot hi fi sound? wouldn't have said that, I might about class D amps
[/quote]

Excellent. Managed to open and save it and explains it quite clearly.
Hi-fi sound is probably a little too extreme. I would say its more of a clean sound in comparison to Ampeg SVT style amps.
For me it just doesn't have a "warm" feel to it.
Maybe i'm just not explaining it very well.

Thanks for the manual. That should be a help.
Dave