Why become a member? ×

2 X 2 x10 Cabs Instead a single 4 X 10

Wan

[quote name='lowhand_mike' timestamp='1483546276' post='3208113']
i'm sure i read somewhere that if you stack 2 2x10s vertically (so kinda 1x4) you get better dispersion due to no phase cancellation (think thats right) from speakers being horizontal to each other. that said my 4x10 has done a great job so far and its no boutique.
[/quote]

You do still get dispersion issues with vertical stacking, but it's only noticeable if you move up and down rather than from side to side. So as long as you're not pogoing frantically in front of your rig you'll be fine.

I actually have a 2x10 x2 rig of Beyma units in Peavey cabs. A brilliant sound to my ears

Its basically now my back up / practice at home rig, as my MB gigging rig is a bit lighter

Edited by fleabag

I have 4 2x10s.

Stack them how you like and what works for you. In reality, 2 cabs stacked on their sides allows for better dispersion as noted... but if you can hear and everybody that needs to hear, can it really matter? Besides, your PA should be doing all the real work anyway.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1483551128' post='3208176']
I use 2 Hartke Hydrive 210 cabs , stacked horizontally , great sound , easy to transport plenty of power handling....spot on !
[/quote]

Have you tried them stacked vertically? It makes a big difference.

I stack them vertically when possible and stick the head on a chair. I'm not tall, but I can confirm that vertical stacking does seem to make a difference to the quality of my sound on stage. The added advantage is that I can use a single cab in the practice room and keep one at home. I only have to carry the head back and forth. Some small gigs, I just use a single cab and rely on the PA too.

I tried it with a couple of Bergantino 210s. Easier than a 410, yes - but in the end I got tired of carrying around two cabs and went back to a lighter option.

The vertical stacking option is great though, as long as the stage is solid and sturdy B)

Has no one mentioned... Say 500W amp into one 8 ohm 4x10 =350W(ish) delivered to the cab... 500W amp into 2 2x10 8 ohm cabs = 500W delivered to the cabs... Doesn't the old maxim of more cabs to deliver more volume not more watts? Or have I missed something. OK, there are load of variables at play but given equivalent speakers/efficiency etc would 2 8 ohm 2x10 be louder than 1 8ohm 4x10?

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1483631587' post='3208861']
OK, there are load of variables at play but given equivalent speakers/efficiency etc would 2 8 ohm 2x10 be louder than 1 8ohm 4x10?
[/quote]

Yes - but not likely to be perceivably so.

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1483631587' post='3208861']
Has no one mentioned... Say 500W amp into one 8 ohm 4x10 =350W(ish) delivered to the cab... 500W amp into 2 2x10 8 ohm cabs = 500W delivered to the cabs... Doesn't the old maxim of more cabs to deliver more volume not more watts? Or have I missed something. OK, there are load of variables at play but given equivalent speakers/efficiency etc would 2 8 ohm 2x10 be louder than 1 8ohm 4x10?
[/quote]

You're comparing apples to oranges.

4x16ohm speakers is either a 4ohm 4x10 or a 4ohm total 2x2x10. An 8ohm 4x10 would use different impedance speakers.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1483549577' post='3208154']
Exhibit A.

Nicky Wire. Somebody that could give less sh1ts about dispersion.

Don't think it's held him back.

[/quote]

Putting aside the fact that there's probably nothing in those cabs, when your on-stage monitoring is at worst a combination of wedge monitors and side-fills and more likely in-ears and FoH is handled entirely by the PA, I don't think the dispersion characteristics of the bass rig are even remotely relevant.