Why become a member? ×

Joined a new band

Harryburke14

As the title says. Just joined my first band in well over a year and it just occurred to me Im missing some essential stuff.

1) a gigworthy bass amp
2) a decent bass case
3) any idea of what im doing.

Bass amp and case Im sure the good people here will be able to advise on. The bit about not having a clue maybe not. But hey, we play bass, no one hears us anyway right?

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1483554029' post='3208219']
You'll get a lot of suggestions for the first two (might be an idea to let us know about the band a bit as they might change folks' amp suggestions), and for the third...

...well, we all blag it a bit now and then :)
[/quote]

Indie styley band with a few punk numbers in there for good measure

[quote name='Harryburke14' timestamp='1483554652' post='3208227']

As much as it takes and not a penny more. Probably looking at second hand gear up to the price of £500. If thats even enough.
[/quote]

You should be able to get a decent 500w amp head and a 4 × 10 cab for that much.

That's your classic guitar band gigging rig.

Headwise I'd be looking for a second hand Hartke (which will weigh as much as a small house by the way), which should leave you plenty of change for a decent second hand cab.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Harryburke14' timestamp='1483556160' post='3208244']
Theres a 500w Ashdown ABM in the classifieds for £200 that Im tempted by, but unsure of a cab that would suit RE wattage, ohms, etc. As i say, Im lacking any clue as to what Im doing.
[/quote]

pretty much any cab.. theres a nice cheap aquilar 2x12 in cheltenham on here for £350 which would do the job luvverly..

[quote name='Harryburke14' timestamp='1483556160' post='3208244']
Theres a 500w Ashdown ABM in the classifieds for £200 that Im tempted by, but unsure of a cab that would suit RE wattage, ohms, etc. As i say, Im lacking any clue as to what Im doing.
[/quote]

Perfect for all your gigging needs if you like the Ashdown sound. Any decent cab with around 400 watts at 8 ohms will be fine.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1483557301' post='3208258']

Perfect for all your gigging needs if you like the Ashdown sound. Any decent cab with around 400 watts at 8 ohms will be fine.
[/quote]

Cheers. Noticed Andertons are selling a Peavey 210, rated at 400w with 8ohms for £229 but can not find much info regarding them being any good.

Failing that theres a TC 210 on here with the same wattage and ohms.

Edited by Harryburke14

[quote name='Harryburke14' timestamp='1483553807' post='3208214']
As the title says. Just joined my first band in well over a year and it just occurred to me Im missing some essential stuff.

1) a gigworthy bass amp
2) a decent bass case
3) any idea of what im doing.

Bass amp and case Im sure the good people here will be able to advise on. The bit about not having a clue maybe not. But hey, we play bass, no one hears us anyway right?
[/quote]

They certainly won't if you haven't got a bass amp !!!!!!!

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1483560202' post='3208299']

They certainly won't if you haven't got a bass amp !!!!!!!
[/quote]

This is of course true. Im going to do some digging. PMs have been sent RE the Ashdown head and TC Cab. Other than those theres the Genz combo (which Im only worried 350w is a bit on the shy size, though what do i know) and also brand new fender rumble 500s are about £500 on Andertons/PMTs websites.

Worth a look at Trace Elliot gear as well. You could get a 300W combo that would serve for any gig you are likely to want to do and have serious change out of your budget or a fridge-freezer sized stack of separates. As long as you don't mind the weight, anyway.

Edit - decent bass case = Hiscox.

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1483556746' post='3208251']
pretty much any cab.. theres a nice cheap aquilar 2x12 in cheltenham on here for £350 which would do the job luvverly..
[/quote]

Yep that cab is a steal. I was looking at that too. Just a bit too far for me.
I would look at the lightweight amps. Maybe a 2nd hand Markbass.

So much choice out there.

Depending on the bass you have you should pick up a half decent case for not a lot of money.

Dave

[quote name='Harryburke14' timestamp='1483562058' post='3208329']

This is of course true. Im going to do some digging. PMs have been sent RE the Ashdown head and TC Cab. Other than those theres the Genz combo (which Im only worried 350w is a bit on the shy size, though what do i know) and also brand new fender rumble 500s are about £500 on Andertons/PMTs websites.
[/quote]

350w through the extension cab will almost certainly be fine.

The reason I suggested 500w is that it should be plenty loud enough through a single cab and also give you a fair bit of headroom, hopefully you'll never need to crank it much past halfway.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1483562410' post='3208340']

Yep that cab is a steal. I was looking at that too. Just a bit too far for me.
I would look at the lightweight amps. Maybe a 2nd hand Markbass.

So much choice out there.

Depending on the bass you have you should pick up a half decent case for not a lot of money.

Dave
[/quote]

The Aguilar is very nice but unfortunately very far away for me. I will keep Markbass gear in mind though.
Trying to remember which particular Gallien Krueger head and cab was in our practise room way back when. Man Id love that rig. Havent seen it in months so cant really remember.

[quote name='Harryburke14' timestamp='1483563511' post='3208362']
The Aguilar is very nice but unfortunately very far away for me. I will keep Markbass gear in mind though.
Trying to remember which particular Gallien Krueger head and cab was in our practise room way back when. Man Id love that rig. Havent seen it in months so cant really remember.
[/quote]

pretty sure the seller was up to you arranging a courier.
I have a GK1001RBi and its pretty powerful but quite a clean sound if that's what you're looking for.
I've also got one of the MB200 lightweight amps which is pretty cool but not big enough to gig with. The larger MB500 might be worth a look tho.
I've had the Ashdown 1x15" MAG combo but found it a very bland sound. No real character for me. Bit like a Ford Mondeo it just does what it says it will but nothing stands out with it. Just my own opinion whereas others on here love them.

This could be a can of worms for you as people get quite passionate about their own gear :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dave

An actual hard case is only really required if your gear gets flung into a 'band van', if you are driving yourself to/from gigs then this is spot on..I have 2 myself :)

https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_e_bass_gigbag_premium.htm?glp=1&gclid=CjwKEAiA17LDBRDElqOGq8vR7m8SJAA1AC0_1JkoVO9RHjYVqz2NOgQ6asY1H16G392WNeK0hBk2WRoCyr3w_wcB

I've also got one of these, but as I say above, cos I drive myself around, it rarely gets used nowadays, cos it definitely takes up more room!

https://www.thomann.de/gb/gator_gcbass_pvc_case.htm?ref=search_rslt_gator+bass_212517_4

I know It's VERY tempting to go for a second-hand amp, but I stress you head down to somewhere with reasonable stock and try a few out first I'm so glad I did. I'd gone into the store dead set on buying one thing and left with something completely different I'd taken my bass and spent 20 mins with the amp in question unable to find usable tones , then tried my markbass found my sound immediately and left with a grin the size of a house, skipping back to the carry carrying the stupidly light combo in one hand .

Sound is very subjective, and amps definitely colour your tone, That being said for cost effective powerful rock tones, I'm surprised no-one's suggested one of the fender rumbles * [url="https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/2370606900/bass-combos/fender-rumble-500-v3-bass-amp"]https://www.anderton...500-v3-bass-amp[/url] *

I doubt you will need more than the 350 watts that the combo produces right off the bat but it leaves room for finding that second cab if you do need 500 watts.

Also before you go ahead and buy a gigantic 8x10 yourself what size venues do this band play? Will there be PA support, hell you may not even require an amp until you know the date of the first gig. I know its exciting to think about but I've found rehearsal room amps are getting better and better, one i'm going to in Clapham next week has my choice of markbass or GK :-S .

Edited by synthaside