Why become a member? ×

IEMs are causing nothing but problems

bassjim

Because I'm just the bass player and not allowed near the twiddly desky thing.......

So one of our vocalists has recently invested loads in decent IEMs. She loves them for obvious reasons.

We need to hear her as well so she has a powered floor monitor.

As far as I know, prior to issues her mic would go into the desk and a feed is sent back to her monitor via the "monitor out" on the desk.

All was well.

Since IEM: Some sort of battle to get VOX at a decent level for her IEMs at the same time as the monitor working as it did before.

Our keys player drives the desk and prefers less of her on stage so I suspect foul play however due to complete ignorance cant tell if hes lying or not. :ph34r:

Does any one know the correct way to set up the chain of items so that we can all hear her glorious tones on stage through her monitor whilst simultaneously allowing her to hear her warbling in ears?

I know the desk has one available monitor out with its own mix only ( or so I'm told) as the keys player uses the other for his monitor. :mellow:

The " whole band go IEM" solution, however is not an option so please just if you know how to achive vox in both IEM for her and monitor for us at the same time please.

Thanks for any advice : )

Tbh I'd only use them with a desk with multiple monitor mixes, that said I can't see why you can't just split the signal, send the correct mix to the monitor wedges then let her adjust her own volume to suit?

What desk, monitors and in ears are you using? is the first set of questions we need answers to.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Jim, cheapest approach would be a XLR splitter.

Method 1
Mic -> Split1 -> Desk -> Aux send to IEM
Mic -> Split2 -> Monitor (assuming powered monitor - if not, tell me more about what your setup is)

Method 2
Depending upon what the IEM system is, you can have two inputs into the IEM mixer and run it in stereo focus mode. This means from the pack you can blend she can blend how much she wants to hear of herself in relation to the band mix which is coming in on the other feed. Then you can do a pass through on the out from the transmitter into your monitor for just the vocal into the wedge.

Method 3
Little mixer in front of main mixer. Mic goes into this little mixer. Left out goes to the desk, right out goes to the monitor (or IEM depending on which way round you want to drive your monitor feeds).

[s]Method 4[/s]
[s]Get a desk with more auxes and satisfy everybody with their own mix.[/s]

PS it sounds like you are getting shafted on the mix by the keys player.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1483723203' post='3209614']

Method 1
Mic -> Split2 -> Monitor (assuming powered monitor - if not, tell me more about what your setup is)

Method 2
Depending upon what the IEM system is, you can have two inputs into the IEM mixer and run it in stereo focus mode. This means from the pack you can blend she can blend how much she wants to hear of herself in relation to the band mix which is coming in on the other feed. Then you can do a pass through on the out from the transmitter into your monitor for just the vocal into the wedge.

Method 3
Little mixer in front of main mixer. Mic goes into this little mixer. Left out goes to the desk, right out goes to the monitor (or IEM depending on which way round you want to drive your monitor feeds).

[s]Method 4[/s]

[/quote]thanks mate. method 3 is the answer I think and yes we are getting shafted by the keys player. Will any old small 4 channel thing do the job?

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1483723203' post='3209614']

Method 1

Method 2

Method 3

[s]Method 4[/s]

[/quote]

Would not rule out option 4 completely - desks like the Behringer X18, Soundcraft Ui16 and RCF M18 can provide individual mixes for less than £500 new if you shop around... I'm umming and ahhing about pulling the trigger on one of these at the moment..

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1483958246' post='3211336']
Would not rule out option 4 completely - desks like the Behringer X18, Soundcraft Ui16 and RCF M18 can provide individual mixes for less than £500 new if you shop around... I'm umming and ahhing about pulling the trigger on one of these at the moment..
[/quote]

Option 4 is a bit of a joke I have with Jim - it is actually the most correct solution. If you go into the monster IEM thread in the accessories forum, you'll see a lot of mixers, including some of the ones that you have mentioned, have been talked about at great length.