Why become a member? ×

I love my gear but...

TheGreek

[quote name='lowhand_mike' timestamp='1484074250' post='3212497']
and the front panel chromeness is loverly but the black text on it is impossible to see under stage lighting as the front panel effectively becomes black.
[/quote]
Odd you should say that! My last 2 gigs (gear sharing) were an RM combo and a head, and I found exactly the same issue. It's a bit of a mare on gear you don't know, especially. Bring back the old HH electroluminescent backlighting, I say!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1483761024' post='3209937']

I've been using GK 1001rb's for about 7 years.

I still have to search for the "on" button.

Blue
[/quote]

I'd love to see an rb1001iii

LED backlit power button, and a "gain" and "master" control knobs would increase its versatility.

I love SOME of my gear.

I love my stingray 5's, no "but".

I love my GK Cabs, but I am being wooed by a pair of Aguilar DB112's, and all these pics of a pair in chocolate thunder with a matching AC500DC are not helping things.

I loved my GK RB1001ii, but it was just a little too gritty at times, that is why I am, and have been since buying the rb, gassing for a GK Fusion 550.

I love my Markbass TTE 500, but not having a mute button is just a pain.

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1484315623' post='3214613']
I'd love to see an rb1001iii

LED backlit power button, and a "gain" and "master" control knobs would increase its versatility.
[/quote]

Agree about the power button.
Are n't the 'Level' and 'Woofer' controls serving the same function as gain and master though?
Also using the 'Boost' control also helps find the right amount of grit.

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1484349044' post='3214952']

Agree about the power button.
Are n't the 'Level' and 'Woofer' controls serving the same function as gain and master though?
Also using the 'Boost' control also helps find the right amount of grit.
[/quote]

If you are using gk bi amp cabs then yes. In its defence, I never really spent ages messing with mine when I had it, but can't help a gain/master would be more intuitive.

[quote name='keeponehandloose' timestamp='1483740130' post='3209833']
Fx pedals have the input and output on the wrong sides. Input should be on left, out on right.
[/quote]
Different sized footprints, different socket locations...if ever there was a need for standardisation...

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1484383220' post='3215046']
Different sized footprints, different socket locations...if ever there was a need for standardisation...
[/quote]

You will be looking for people to conform either to left or right handedness next. That'll confuse most musicians as they are by-and-large ambidextrous without realising.

The aircraft industry observes conventions which are upheld in other engineering disciplines;

Taken from the pilot's seat view everything is numbered left to right and clockwise where appropriate. If there is a choice of whether a bolt can be inserted from above or below, above is preferred. This is simply so the bolt wont fall out if the nut slackens and drops off. Just a couple of examples. Exceptions are made where manufacturing or assembly constraints make it impossible to follow convention.

Do all pedals tend to be counter intuitive? If the majority do there may be a precedent for making it so.

As for pedal size... I'd agree that some of us larger footed, hairy arsed types may struggle with some of the pedals I have seen. Heeheehee, twinkle toes I ain't.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1484389309' post='3215084']
You will be looking for people to conform either to left or right handedness next. [/quote]
I can't see how, the two aren't related to each other.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1484389309' post='3215084']
Do all pedals tend to be counter intuitive? If the majority do there may be a precedent for making it so.

As for pedal size... I'd agree that some of us larger footed, hairy arsed types may struggle with some of the pedals I have seen. Heeheehee, twinkle toes I ain't.
[/quote]
A modular footprint and consistent socket locations would make pedalboard planning and wiring up significantly easier.

Pedals are not generally counter-intuitive are they. Cable comes out of your bass in the right hand side (adjust for lefties as needed), then enters pedalboard at right side so you are not standing on your cable. Pedals run right to left where the cable runs off stage to amp or DI, leaving the place where you stand uncluttered.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1483883535' post='3210809']
I love my 30 year old Wal Custom Fretless.

I hate that it never be quite sounds like it is in tune.
[/quote]

Unless your playing open strings presumably ;)

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1483737695' post='3209795']
Love my Trace Elliot gear, the weight I can live with, but I really wish the power button was on the front instead of the back...

Love my Bass Collection Nanyos but I wish the input socket wasn't at such a daft angle on the side..

So what lets your gear down??
[/quote]

You could have the switch and jack socket located. Of course it would maybe effect resale value slightly but if done right and you really are going to keep the bass and amp then it might be worth looking into.