Why become a member? ×

String gauges for DADG and EADG

paul_c2

A few months ago I changed the strings, to 40-60-80-100. And they're great - in EADG tuning. However I'm finding that more and more of the pieces I'm being asked to play benefit from DADG tuning. And no, I don't want to buy a 5 string bass (well I do, but I don't want to spend money!!!) So I'm finding the .100 gauge 'E' string a bit floppy once its detuned down to D. So I'm thinking of swapping just that one for a slightly thicker - my question is, what's a decent gauge to use which won't be out of place when tuned EAGD, and will sound better in drop D tuning? I am thinking .105 or .110 but I don't want to buy both and then never use one of them (well....use it for 10 mins then find its not right etc)

TIA

Drop D is easy. Most folks will just use standard strings and drop the low E. A 105-45 set worked fine for me.

I did try the Billy Sheehan Rotosound set which is 110-43. They were fine as well.

You could buy a thicker E string but I never thought that it was worth the extra hassle or expense.

My cheeky trick is to buy D'Addario Balanced Tension sets anyway as they are brilliant. The E string is a 107! So it's a little heavier as standard so no need to go out and buy separates. It Drops to D nicely on my 4 string 34"ers.

I was using Chromes 45, 60, 80, 110 so I could drop the E to B. I then changed to Rotosound Billy Sheehan strings that lasted about 5 minutes and now I'm using standard D'addario EXL165s. They still handle the drop to the B pretty well, last a good length of time and are pretty cheap by bass string standards ( £11ish )

I think anything 105+ is good for prolonged drops to the D and beyond