Why become a member? ×

"Bassist" or "Bass player"?

Rexel Matador

I prefer to identify as the latter. I don't know why. How about you? I'm genuinely curious...

Either. I usually respond to "OI YOU! as well.

Seriously though, I think I like bassist because I enjoy bass from many different sources, strings, brass, keys, vox. Of those however, I only play electric bass so I would probably side with you on that. There really hasn't been a need to think of it as I don't gig (yet). Edited by Dad3353

Yep, another vote for "either" here, and like several others I'm equally happy to be referred to as a "bass guitarist." Similarly, anybody wishing to refer to our drummer and me collectively is welcome to use "the rhythm section" just as much as I'd be happy for them to refer to our guitarist and me as "the guitarists." I might object to the use of "complete arse," but I don't know if I'd have a strong case against it...

I generally refer to myself as a bass player when talking to non musicians (for example: Please Mr Doorman, can I come into this fine establishment without paying or waiting in the queue - I am a member of the band booked to play here this evening. I am in fact the bass player) as they tend to be so unaware of our calling altogether that there's always the danger they may mistake the 'sist' part for the word 'cyst' and simply believe I am suffering with an infected boil :(.
Bassist I generally reserve for conversations with other musicians but even then it's often hit and miss.

Edited by Painy

• 1 year later...

I would like to make a small point, so I sharpened up my stubby little pencil. However, it's not the size, but how you use it that really counts...! Anyway, Off We Go.....!  

I say that the English tongue is childishly easy if you've been raised in it, "steeped in it" like wee teabags; but, it's a fiendish language to learn. One must absorb it and quaff the brew slowly, as you grow up with it, because it boils over with euphemisms, colloquialisms and slang, all requiring years of unconscious assimilation. 

And it's a "borrowing" language...They never give it back, but they readily borrowed from Germans, Romans, the dreaded French since 1066 and the ancient Greeks. Even the Vikings (those Damn Danes!) altered the Goode English Tongue. You might even say that the English are the ba*tard spawn of barbaric Viking raiders... Then again, you might not if one is about, WOT-WOT! .   

And no language is safe from the English. All have been raided for their foreign mots and grammaires. It then turned in on itself and blended it's vocabulary and grammar into what we today call Standard Spoken English, but should probably bear the more apt title of Confused Broken English.

Countries birthed and aborted by the United? Kingdom that now claim to use this language have applied it in ways that are very revealing of their own nationalistic tendencies. 

The Americans, of course, Revolted and Declared that everyone will "Speak American". Which is a unique form of mis-spelled English. Everything has been quickened and shortened to fit into the New York minute. In the torpid Southern Tier, English has melted into a long drawl that will never be fully recovered or understood again by an Englishman, let alone their long winded northern brothers in Washington, D.C.. Of course, in California "Nosotros hablamos Espanol!" "An pas me de chillie-dog!.

The passive-aggressive Australians rebelled against their British chains and destroyed the language both in vocabulary and pronunciation until they now speak 'Strine so bad that the English will never understand them. Actually no one can. And they like it like that! 

The oft persecuted Irish decided to improve the language and then sing it, just to annoy the ears of those wicked Saxon Dogs; and the brash Scottish Highlanders don't even care if anyone can understand them, eh? As long as their haggis vindaloo is hot! English is safe in Scotland as they never use it.   

The Canadians, of course, just couldn't make up their minds whether to speak English or American. So, as befits their nature, "decided" to speak both, so as not to offend anybody... In Canada you may do your neighbor a favor or favour your neighbour and honor or honour the colour or color of her hair. Zee or Zed! It's all good... Canada uses metric measurements, British measurements or American Customary measurements. You can appear short or tall, heavy or light just by carefully selecting your unitary system. My toolbox is divided into Metric and English wrenches (spanners, you say?). The temperature today is 32 degrees Fahrenheit or 0 degrees Celcius. Take your pick, as long as it ain't in Kelvins. And if you don't like speaking American, Canadian or British, why, you can always speak French! Parlez-vous 'en... No one understands each other here, but we always agree... so as not to offend anyone...

The Welsh, hoping to hide from the English, named their towns with tongue-twisters that the English could not even pronounce without drooling, let alone remember! Names that, if repeated, sounded like wild, abandoned, drunken cursing that would have one committed to Bedlam in a fortnight! They just got together and made up sh*t like Aberbargoed, Abercwmboi, Aberystwyth, Amlwch, Benllech, Blaenau, Fffrack, Ffestiniog, Eggnog, Caernarfon, Caerphilly, Philly-Dilly, Caerwys, Cilgerran, Criccieth, Cwmamman, Come-on, Cwmbran Denbigh, Ebbw Vale,  Znert, Ewloe, Ffestiniog, Laugharne, Llaughinghmearseoff, Llandrindod Wells, Llandudno, Llumbhagho, Llamgerghini, Llanfairfechan, Llackafarteen, Llanfyll, Llanphill,  Llangefni, Llanrwst, Llanwrtyd Wells, Loughor, Laughcheim, Machynlleth, Meschugama, Merthyr Tydfil, Maesglas Miskin, Penmaenmawr, Pontarddulais, Porthmadog, Phrakindedogh, Pwllheli, Tonypandy, Andypandy, Billandben, Treorchy, Tywyn, Tyrone, Ystradgynlais, Ystrad Mynach, Ynysddu, Theresamaynott, Ham-on-Rye, Hay-on-Wye, and Zed. 

As I ponder all of this, I grow weary. Perhaps you have, too. Philologists and musicians make for strange bed-fellows. Professor Henry Higgins meets Charles Mingus.This is why a Protologist won't share an office with a Dentist...  And you'll never introduce your wife to your girlfriend... I no longer care if I'm a piano player or a pianist; a drummer or a drummist; a bassist, a basser or a bass tard; a doublecontrabassoonist or a happy euphonium blower... a joker, a smoker or a midnight toker... For I am a proud and noble Upright Electric Wash-Tubbist!    (So, who needs five strings when one will do!!! We don't shift, we just stretch away... TWANG!)

How many guitarists does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Two!

A bass guitarist to hold the bulb and the lead guitarist to tell him how to do it.

Edited by StringNavigator
added twang!
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, StringNavigator said:

I would like to make a small point, so I sharpened up my stubby little pencil. However, it's not the size, but how you use it that really counts...! Off we go.....!  

I say that the English tongue is childishly easy if you've been raised in it, "steeped in it" like wee teabags; but, it's a fiendish language to learn. One must absorb it and quaff the brew slowly, as you grow up with it, because it boils over with euphemisms, colloquialisms and slang, all requiring years of unconscious assimilation. 

And it's a "borrowing" language...They never give it back, but they readily borrowed from Germans, Romans, the dreaded French since 1066 and the ancient Greeks. Even the Vikings (those Damn Danes!) altered the Goode English Tongue. You might even say that the English are the ba*tard spawn of barbaric Viking raiders... Then again, you might not if one is about, WOT-WOT! .   

And no language is safe from the English. All have been raided for their foreign mots and grammaires. It then turned in on itself and blended it's vocabulary and grammar into what we today call Standard Spoken English, but should probably bear the more apt title of Confused Broken English.

Countries birthed and aborted by the United? Kingdom that now claim to use this language have applied it in ways that are very revealing of their own nationalistic tendencies. 

The Americans, of course, Revolted and Declared that everyone will "Speak American". Which is a unique form of mis-spelled English. Everything has been quickened and shortened to fit into the New York minute. In the torpid Southern Tier, English has melted into a long drawl that will never be fully recovered or understood again by an Englishman, let alone their long winded northern brothers in Washington, D.C.. Of course, in California "Nosotros hablamos Espanol!" "An pas me de chillie-dog!.

The passive-aggressive Australians rebelled against their British chains and destroyed the language both in vocabulary and pronunciation until they now speak 'Strine so bad that the English will never understand them. Actually no one can. And they like it like that! 

The oft persecuted Irish decided to improve the language and then sing it, just to annoy the ears of those wicked Saxon Dogs; and the brash Scottish Highlanders don't even care if anyone can understand them, eh? As long as their haggis vindaloo is hot! English is safe in Scotland as they never use it.   

The Canadians, of course, just couldn't make up their minds whether to speak English or American. So, as befits their nature, "decided" to speak both, so as not to offend anybody... In Canada you may do your neighbor a favor or favour your neighbour and honor or honour the colour or color of her hair. Zee or Zed! It's all good... Canada uses metric measurements, British measurements or American Customary measurements. You can appear short or tall, heavy or light just by carefully selecting your unitary system. My toolbox is divided into Metric and English wrenches (spanners, you say?). The temperature today is 32 degrees Fahrenheit or 0 degrees Celcius. Take your pick, as long as it ain't in Kelvins. And if you don't like speaking American, Canadian or British, why, you can always speak French! Parlez-vous 'en... No one understands each other here, but we always agree... so as not to offend anyone...

The Welsh, hoping to hide from the English, named their towns with tongue-twisters that the English could not even pronounce without drooling, let alone remember! Names that, if repeated, sounded like wild, abandoned, drunken cursing that would have one committed to Bedlam in a fortnight! They just got together and made up sh*t like Aberbargoed, Abercwmboi, Aberystwyth, Amlwch, Benllech, Blaenau Ffestiniog, Eggnog, Caernarfon, Caerphilly, Philly-Dilly, Caerwys, Cilgerran, Criccieth, Cwmamman, Come-on, Cwmbran Denbigh, Ebbw Vale,  Znert, Ewloe, Ffestiniog, Laugharne, Llaughinghmearseoff, Llandrindod Wells, Llandudno, Llumbhagho, Llanfairfechan, Llackafarteen, Llanfyll, Llanphill,  Llangefni, Llanrwst, Llanwrtyd Wells, Loughor, Laughcheim, Machynlleth, Merthyr Tydfil, Maesglas Miskin, Penmaenmawr, Pontarddulais, Porthmadog, Phrakindedogh, Pwllheli, Tonypandy, AndyPandy, Treorchy, Tywyn, Tyrone, Ystradgynlais, Ystrad Mynach, Ynysddu, Theresamaynott, Ham-on-Rye, Hay-on-Wye, and Zed. 

As I ponder all of this, I grow weary. Perhaps you have, too. Philologists and musicians make for strange bed-fellows. Professor Henry Higgins meets Charles Mingus.This is why a Protologist won't share an office with a Dentist...  And you'll never introduce your wife to your girlfriend... I no longer care if I'm a piano player or a pianist; a drummer or a drummist; a bassist, a basser or a bass tard; a doublecontrabassoonist or a happy euphonium blower... a joker, a smoker or a midnight toker... For I am a proud and noble Upright Electric Wash-Tubbist!    (So, who needs five strings when one will do!!! We don't shift, we just stretch away... TWANG!)

How many guitarists does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Two!

A bass guitarist to hold the bulb and the lead guitarist to tell him how to do it.

I read this hearing the voice of Hugh Laurie intermittently playing the part of 'House'. A very enjoyable read.

• Like 1