Why become a member? ×

EUB Question

gypsyjazzer

Definitely +1 for bowing on the Yamaha Silent bass. Sounds great and very smooth. Want one...
I've had two electric uprights. My current Warwick Triumph doesn't like it and my old Van Zalinge wasn't great either.
Also you have to consider the curvature of the bridge. A lot of EUBs have pretty flat bridges like an electric so you'd never be able to bow them. Always worth trying out in the shop with a bow to hand...

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1483778543' post='3209984']
I heard Geoff Chalmers playing arco on a Yamaha silent bass at the double bass bash, sounded fantastic! I suspect the operator was helping in that department though :)

My Stagg with Spiros doesn't like it at all.
[/quote]
Some EUBs are better than others in this regard. I remember trying a NS one years back, the model with 2 pickups. One pup sounded great plucked, and the other bowed. Could have done with a dual output and a blend pedal rather than onboard controls.
I found the Stagg rather scratchy, and an older (prob about 15 years or more) Yamaha was massively improved with a Realist. My current Project EUB has a Realist, and it's ok, but I keep experimenting with different seats for the bridge to try and better emulate it sitting on an acoustic soundboard. The harder the body (or bridge seat) material the harder the sound, thus the scratchier the arco tone.

[quote name='gypsyjazzer' timestamp='1483807428' post='3210286']
Thanks for the input guys. The bridge? Never thought about that. Just checked the bridge on my Eminence--hollow body--and the bridge has a good curve. So being a hollow body and a curved bridge things looking good for arco.
[/quote]

I'd say you've got a better than a solid body one other than the Yamaha SLB then, good luck :)