Why become a member? ×

Cab/rig recommendations

Callumjord

Rig/cab recommendations.

I recently decided to move away from my small combo rig as I am now starting to play bigger functions/venues. I picked up this eden wtx264 amp and I am looking to pair it up with some cabs. I'm just not sure what speaker size/brands to match it up with.

Ideally small and portable would be the key, I have a full pa that I will di into. I had played it through my dad's laney rb 4x10 and 1x15. I found the 4x10 didn't handle the low B very well, were as the 1x15 sounds really deep and powerful. However I haven't tried any 1x12/2x12 cabs. Would these still deliver the lows that I am after?

I am a bit restricted with budget, anything sub £500 would be ideal.

Some of the cabs I have been looking at are:
Zilla fat boy 2x12
Ashdown rm 1x15
GK CX 1x15
Eden D115 XLT

Cheers guys!

The wtx264 isn't a very loud amp. You could do with a very efficient cab to get the best from it. On your budget I'd go for a second hand Barefaced Compact.

Edit Walbassist also has a 4ohm Tecamp 1x15 in the F/S section which would draw full power from your amp. Cracking cab.

Edited by Japhet

Your amp is only 260 watts at 4ohm, most popular combos are around 300 watts at 8 ohm and 500 watts at 4 ohm. Why not get a small and portable MarkBass CMD121 P, or similar, second hand well less than £500?

Notice there is a 15" version in the For sale section:£450, I have no connection with it.

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1483784677' post='3210043']
The wtx264 isn't a very loud amp. You could do with a very efficient cab to get the best from it. On your budget I'd go for a second hand Barefaced Compact.

Edit Walbassist also has a 4ohm Tecamp 1x15 in the F/S section which would draw full power from your amp. Cracking cab.
[/quote]

Yea, while it is a small class D head I find that the 250-300 watt mark is the perfect range for the size venues I tend to play (small to medium sized venues with a full PA system). I used to use my dads old 300 watt Laney class D head and I never had the volume above 3/4.

I would love to try a BF to see if the hype really is to be true, looked on their website and the nearest owner to me is a good 3hr drive away :(

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1483795501' post='3210170']
Your amp is only 260 watts at 4ohm, most popular combos are around 300 watts at 8 ohm and 500 watts at 4 ohm. Why not get a small and portable MarkBass CMD121 P, or similar, second hand well less than £500?

Notice there is a 15" version in the For sale section:£450, I have no connection with it.
[/quote]

Small and portable is the aim of the game for me. I haven't tried a 1x12 cab before. Would have to find someone in my area that has one and see how it sounds with my setup.

Edited by Callumjord

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1483815668' post='3210395']
If you only want to run with a single cab, I'd make it a 4ohm one. Your £500 should get you a nice used one.
[/quote]

While this sounds good I would advise against it unless it's got at least two drivers. Sorry. :)

The difference in volume between a 8 ohm and 4 ohm cab won't be much (and a lot of 4 ohm, single driver cabs, couldn't take the additional power anyway) but using an 8 ohm cab means you can add another identical cab later that your amp can deal with as the two 8 ohm cabs will present a 4 ohm impedance to your amp.

The G2 Compacts are great cabs for small money as they are all now used and prices have dropped a fair bit. You wouldn't lose much or any money, if you sold it on.

Frank.

[quote name='Callumjord' timestamp='1483801988' post='3210235']
I would love to try a BF to see if the hype really is to be true, looked on their website and the nearest owner to me is a good 3hr drive away :(
[/quote]

Where are you? We're not all on the website.

I'd say the Aguilar GS212 would be a good choice within your budget. But an even better choice would be the 2 Barefaced Super Compacts for sale.

I'd suggest to your Dad he sell his gear and go halves with you. Then you can both use one cab and put 2 together for any really loud gigs that come up.

Yeah, I hate to sound like a stuck record but you're the perfect candidate for barefaced. If you buy new you'll get Alex's amazing returns policy and if you buy (sensibly) second hand then you should be able to sell it without losing any money. If you've really always got a pa system then pick up a Barefaced Midget. It'll do stage volume anywhere and there aren't too many gigs where it wouldn't do at least some FOH duties if you asked it to.

13 posts without pictures, basschat is losing our mojo

Just be careful about buying Barefaced cabs second hand if you can't hear them first; the tone that comes out of them will be very different to what you're maybe used from your dad's more traditional 410+115 cabs. As you'll have seen, some people really love the Barefaced cabs but some people don't, I guess it depends on your sound/what you're expecting.Yes you can just sell them again if you don't like them but it'll have wasted some of your time/money so try to find someone up your way using them first.

On a different note; Andertons have got a pretty decent sale on at the moment - you could get a couple of the Ashdown RM cabs brand new within budget. I haven't used these particular cabs but I think there was a thread recently where someone was raving about them.

I'd find it very hard to move away from the 2 1x12 arrangement now. Each is a one handed lift, One is enough for small gigs and two enough for anything where you don't have PA support as you can be way louder than the drums. that's not to say other arrangements don't work but you'd need very special 10's to work as well and very compact 15's to be as easy to shift.

I wouldn't buy anything I hadn't heard/tried taste is such a unpredictable and personal thing.

I've had my first decent listen/play with a Barefaced recently, a fellow basschatter follows me in our rehearsal room and his with a Ricky sounds lovely. Just a nice clean sound which shows the character of the bass. Other cabs are available but there's nothing too demanding about the way they sound, very decent cabs.

• 2 months later...