Why become a member? ×

HB Fan Fret singlecut 5er

DarkHeart

I really want to hear a pro review of this. I mean, the spec and the pricetag are a COMPLETE mismatch. This looks much nicer than the Ibby fanned fret effort (they got the nut right) and its so cheap!

Here's the translated sumary of the German review:

It is clear to me that I ordered an entry-level instrument from mass production at the price, and with a bit of time, most of the defects can be easily remedied. However, since a change of the mechanics and a reworking of the Bundung with an instrument of this class is not worthwhile, I have decided to return it.

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1483830134' post='3210535']
Damn!! never even tought about the Bundung :(
[/quote]

Really?!? You paid out for a bass without taking the Bundung into consideration? That's the first thing you should be thinking about!

:lol:

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1483829672' post='3210530']
Ok so Ive just taken the plunge!! Whats the Worst that can happen when you buy from Thomann B stock ;-)
[/quote]

Ok, glad you did. Was tempted to pick it up to compare with my Ibanez and Dingwall fanned frets. Seems crazy for £315!!

Part of the Dutch review (Google's translation, not mine):

[i]"Negative points:
poor tuners
Out-stinging fret ends
creaking preamp
Crude unfinished frets
The neck needs a shim of at least 2 mm in order to achieve a reasonable action.

plusses
Excellent balance, sitting or standing.
Fine paintwork on the body.

After solving all the more points you have a fine bass playing, for me no problem, but, in a new instrument must not do. Too bad, a huge setback."[/i]

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1483836810' post='3210580']
Yeah!! someone had to buy one.............im stupid!!
[/quote]

No, just enthusiastic. You can return it. Only today I was reading about someone else getting a Tokai jazz. Then I saw you can get one on ebay for 175. I'm now fighting off the Gas to get one. I don't need that either.

Edited by Grangur

As you enjoyed it so much here is some more of the review translated into English

[quote name='Google translate' timestamp='1483836869' post='3210581']
The quality of some components (fingerboard, seatpins, mechanics) is not good. There is no strap on the upper belt pin. The tuners are cheap, do not run round and the bass is not so good to vote. The fingerboard is not cleanly ground and the binding is noticeable - not dangerous, but disturbing. The single bridges of the bridge were not properly bolted, with 3 of 5 there was a gap of 2mm to the ceiling. This is not a good quality assurance.
[/quote]