Why become a member? ×

£25 Elixirs on ebay

Rexel Matador

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172466904547?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]http://www.ebay.co.u...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT[/url]

Seems awfully cheap. What's going on here?

I notice that it's a very new ebay account. Might it be a scam or should I have more faith in my fellow humans?

Edit: I'm pretty sure the strings are fake. I thought I'd better mention it up here at the top in case anyone sees this thread and thinks they're onto a good deal without reading the posts below. Thanks everyone. Stay vigilant!

Edited by Rexel Matador

[quote name='Romeo2' timestamp='1483821851' post='3210458']
Are there any obvious giveaways when you buy a pack of fake ones? Has anyone had the pleasure, how do you tell?

The box in the photos looks legit.
[/quote]
I can lend you a legit box, if you want a legit box to take pictures of. Who says you'll get the box shown in the pics?

I bought cheaper than usual Elixirs from an ebay listing which had the same spiel copied and pasted. They looked fine and are still on one of my basses, previous experience makes me think they were the real deal.

I asked the question about anyone perhaps buying these and receiving strings inside a legit box that one could tell were not elixirs. I found your comments about how anyone can take a photo of a box slightly patronising.

At least one person posting here hasn't had the same experience as you.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/285981-dodgy-elixir-nanoweb-strings-bought-on-ebay/"]http://basschat.co.u...bought-on-ebay/[/url]

Doesn't 'Country/Region of Manufacture : China' ring any alarm bells? It should: genuine Elixir strings are made in the US. The Chinese knock-offs aren't coated.

Edited by pete.young

As I found out last week (on a toy for my daughter, not bass strings) if they refund and cancel the purchase you can't leave feedback. So checking the feedback may on,y show the positives of people who did not realise there was an issue. In my case it was a toy called qixels which involves small plastic 'beads' preloaded with glue that can be made into various shapes with just a spray of water to stick different ones together. I don't want to go over the top, but it's not something you want being dodgy, I contacted eBay. I was refunded so they don't care. The guy has a few positive feedback but if you search you can find a few cancelled auctions. eBay really are useless in this sort of case and I would bet similar goes on with the link above, refund and prevent negative feedback so others buy and some won't notice. Big fat con achieved.

They will be fake for sure, I nearly pulled the trigger on the very same auction, asked him if they were genuine heres the response
[color=#231F20][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]"Yes rest assured these strings are brand new and un-opened and have been recently shipped over from China where they were manufactured. The strings are individually cased in a paper packets and in a cardboard outer package as shown in the photo.[/font][/color]
[color=#231F20][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Welcome"[/font][/color]
[color=#231F20][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]sounds well dodge![/font][/color]

Edited by skidder652003

On investigating further, the strings on this account have been given a review by a different account that a: has the same address and b: has negative feedback for selling dodgy strings. Until yesterday I had no idea that people selling fake strings on ebay was a thing. It's quite sad.

Edited by Rexel Matador