Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision with a pick

interpol52

I've started experiencing quite a lot of pain in my forearm and elbow recently (picking hand side). As a result I have started using a pick more as this seems to help.

Rehearsal the other night saw me playing my Precision with a pick with palm muting as and when suitable. What a sound! Sat great in the mix and sounded fat and full.

I have played fingerstyle exclusively for around ten years and it was a real eye opener realising how great and varied pick style can be. I'm converted.

I use my thumb as a pick occasionally and i seem to feel the rhythm more that way but really horses for courses.
I also keep my finger nails a a length that gives me an edge when i want or need it just at the tilt of my hand.
whatever feels comfortable is always a good thing.
All the best with the pick style.

Dave

I started playing with my thumb (not slapping), moved to fingers (but prefer using one as sound more consistent) and have moved over to pick playing which gives me more control over tone, etc. However, I will use whatever style is best for the song that is being played. It's good to hear lots of pro bass players saying that they play with thumbs (Sting), one finger (Sean Hurley?) or picks (Bobby Vega). Anything goes.

Precisions are wonderful matches for pick playing. Jazzes can get a little grindy with a pick, and certainly some people enjoy that tone as well, but I prefer the roundness and punch of a Precision.

I'm mainly a pick player myself. That's how I started out, and most of my favourite bassists are (mainly) pick players - including the sophisticated fellow in my profile picture!

Edited by ZilchWoolham

I find that Jazz bass pick ups can get in the way with a pick, plus using the bridge pick up results in a very trebly sound, nothing like it sounds finger style. I am playing precisions exclusively since my injury.

Edited by FinnDave

My first bass was a used 1962 Precision, bought in 1963. Played with a pick & with the foam mute under the rear ashtray still in place. Tape wound strings. GREAT recorded sound when played wityh a pick.
Played with a pick for decades until I finally gave way to peer pressure from the younger set who at the time regarded us old fogeys who played with picks as "not cool".
And now I have come full circle - back to playing more and more with a pick. Jusrt recorded a couple of bass parts for a friend using a US 62 reissue with half rounds and a pick! So much thud!

It's a great noise.
For my current band, it's 90% fingerstyle, but I love digging in with a pick on appropriate tunes. We do a revved up version of "Paradise" by Dr Feelgood and the plec bass just drives it along in a way you'd struggle to achieve with your fingers.

Whatever gets the job done, I guess...

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1483821370' post='3210452']
I've started experiencing quite a lot of pain in my forearm and elbow recently (picking hand side). As a result I have started using a pick more as this seems to help.

Rehearsal the other night saw me playing my Precision with a pick with palm muting as and when suitable. What a sound! Sat great in the mix and sounded fat and full.

I have played fingerstyle exclusively for around ten years and it was a real eye opener realising how great and varied pick style can be. I'm converted.
[/quote]

Started playing with my fingers back in 1966.

Switched to using a pick in 2009. To me the pick is better for rock stylings. It gives me a more aggressive attack for executing lines, riffs and licks.

Blue

Edited by blue

Stayed away from picks largely, only used them for things too fast to play with my fingers and even then it was only the odd passage in a song... And then I got a precision! I'm catching up on pick technique because I want to play across all strings but there's something about playing flats on a p with a pick that you can't capture with anything else.

I used a pick for the first 30 or so years of my bass playing, only really learned how to play fingerstyle a few years back. As a die-hard Precision player I juts find that a pick works so well with one, especially in rock/punk music.

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1483906480' post='3211058']
It's definitely a case whatever you think does the job best for what you are doing at the time.

The ideal is to be able to do both.
[/quote]

So much this ^

In my rock covers band, I generally only use a pick if the original song was played with a pick. We do some Thin Lizzy and Stuff by the Jam. Both noted for powerful plectrum powered basslines. I have always switched seamlessly between fingers and a pick. I must be quite lucky as its easy for me to do this.

Edited by Hobbayne

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1483969020' post='3211487']
I have always switched seamlessly between fingers and a pick. I must be quite lucky as its easy for me to do this.
[/quote]

I'm the same. When I first started playing I would learn bass parts that I knew were played with a pick with a pick & finger style parts with my fingers. As a result I have no problems using either technique, or swapping back & forth between them during a set when I used to gig.
A precision played with a pick & a bit of palm muting is one of my favourite sounds.