Why become a member? ×

Band Finances

torby

5 piece band, 2 members own all the PA right down to the stands , mics and cables.

For contingency purposes a kitty is suggested, this kitty will no doubt grow and grow, perhaps to purchase a bigger rig or van.

One band member has said this is a good idea and if however someone leaves the band....they lose everything in the kitty.

DISCUSS....GOOD OR BAD IDEA.

I think it's a good idea. We've done it for quite a while now.

We take our cut out of every gig and what ever is left goes into the kitty. This is usually 25-50 quid a gig.
This pays for band consumables like mic leads, repairs, batteries and even tyres and bearings on the trailer, our individual cars are our own respnosibilty
like our individual gear.

It works well, there's never millions in the kitty but enough to make sure we can sort pretty much anything for the next gig.

If someone left we would give them their cut of the kitty less any pending repairs/costs.

There is no right solution, just the solution that works for your band.
The paying the person who brings the gear I've done in the past but they got fed up of having to load so much stuff into their car twice a week and unload it at 2am. And having to arrive and set up early.
Kitties / pooled gear works if you set it all out in writing and are mature about it.

Echo what is said above.
I have contributed to various bands over the years and walked away from things i have paid for and had people walk away with things i have paid for.
When the wife and i started our functions band we decided we would buy everything and own it - PA, Lights + Van. The other members were committed but were basically hired hands, the wife ran it as the leader.
We did have a kitty but this was odd amounts from gigs that did not divide easily, but it paid for rehearsal rooms, gaffer, light bulbs etc. we pooled money for recordings larger projects.
keep it open and honest.

Our case is a bit complicated, the band bought the PA out of band funds then 2 members left, me and the singer agreed a price with them and bought out their share of the PA so me and the singer now own it, we split gig money equally but if anything needs repairing it comes out of band funds, like someone else said, what ever works for your band, oh yeah, the PA is split between the 4 members regarding storage and transportation

Deepbass5: my take on it would be similar, I'm happy with 2 members owning the PA outright, but instead of "hired hands" I would still be happy with a 5 way split of all income, even the "kitty" aspect of things, but as I said, if the kitty builds either to buy a bigger PA or van and someone leaves, through ill health, accident and even to better their playing career I'm uneasy about them losing what they paid into basically what is a savings plan.

Gareth: nearly choked on my cornflakes...lol....I thought those days had gone, amps are mic'ed, bass DI'd, bass drum and 4 vocal mics, so I suppose yes, the whole band is through the PA.

I think the problem might really be not ownership of the PA as such, or even a kitty for incidentals, but if there is a savings plan for major purchases and a member leaves, they lose all they have contributed. "Hired hand" I love that expression also sounds like a good option.

I can also add, the member who thinks the kitty/savings plan and if you leave (for whatever reason) you lose everything you put in.....owns nothing, they borrowed their instruments, a close friend ( other band member ) bought them their backline amp, they hadn't even purchased their own mic, stand etc...so basically has put nothing into the band.

Edited by torby

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1483868780' post='3210665']
Erm, excuse me!

Unless you are putting everyone thru the pa, surely the pa is the singers responsibility, or at least he should contribute more?
[/quote]tricky, depends how much the rest of the band uses the PA, we decided to get a PA out of bands funds like I said, but I did draw the line at the singer getting a wireless mic out of band funds!

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1483868780' post='3210665']
Erm, excuse me!

Unless you are putting everyone thru the pa, surely the pa is the singers responsibility, or at least he should contribute more?
[/quote]

Can the band gig without the PA, regardless of whether everything is going through it or not?

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1483873236' post='3210696']

Can the band gig without the PA, regardless of whether everything is going through it or not?
[/quote]

Not really the point he was making.. everyone else provides stuff needed to gig with.. I've seen friends bands where the singer rocks up late with just an sm58:-)

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1483873236' post='3210696']
[/quote]can a band gig without a drum kit or a bass amp or a guitar amp? if it's purely the singer using it then yes it's up to the singer to provide it, but I suspect there's not that many bands like that, which complicates things

[quote name='torby' timestamp='1483835574' post='3210570']
5 piece band, 2 members own all the PA right down to the stands , mics and cables.

For contingency purposes a kitty is suggested, this kitty will no doubt grow and grow, perhaps to purchase a bigger rig or van.

One band member has said this is a good idea and if however someone leaves the band....they lose everything in the kitty.

DISCUSS....GOOD OR BAD IDEA.
[/quote]

Personally, for the bar band level I don't believe in Kitty's.

If the band wants to buy something and I've been with them for over 5 years just ask and I'll contribute my share. But your not going to take it out of my pay.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1483906836' post='3211066']

Personally, for the bar band level I don't believe in Kitty's.

If the band wants to buy something and I've been with them for over 5 years just ask and I'll contribute my share. But your not going to take it out of my pay.

Blue
[/quote]

What happens if you need something really expensive?

In previous bands we`ve always worked along the lines of if someone leaves of their own accord they get nowt, but, if the band folds completely then whatever funds are left over, once PA etc is sold, an equal share is given to all who were in the band, irrespective of for how long.

In my current band every single one of us has a PA. All of them perfectly capable of doing the job.
From choice we are currently using the powered mixer and speakers owned by the guitar player but the lights ARE owned collectively by the band.
And before you ask if anyone leaves they walk away from their "share" of the lights.

It works for us.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1483874255' post='3210707']
Not really the point he was making.. everyone else provides stuff needed to gig with.. I've seen friends bands where the singer rocks up late with just an sm58:-)
[/quote]

We used to have a singer who'd rock up late and you'd be lucky if she remembered where she'd stashed the lyrics, own mic? Not a chance!

Edited by FinnDave

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1483874255' post='3210707']

[/quote]

Our singer has never rocked up late. He's always there bang on 5minutes before we go on. Gives his SM58 to the guitarist to plug in, music stand to me to set up and goes straight to the bar.

I think leaving the PA for him to sort out wouldn't be the best idea.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1483910007' post='3211110']

What happens if you need something really expensive?
[/quote]

I'm not sure what we would need at the bar band level that's expensive. We own our own lights and PA.

I'd still pay up. Nothing comes directly out of my cut.

Blue

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1483918816' post='3211196']

Our singer has never rocked up late. He's always there bang on 5minutes before we go on. Gives his SM58 to the guitarist to plug in, music stand to me to set up and goes straight to the bar.

I think leaving the PA for him to sort out wouldn't be the best idea.
[/quote]

All members of my band are required to report for work and hour and a half before we go on.

We all help equally with set up tear down. No divas in our organization.

Blue