Why become a member? ×

How do I get this tone Chaps? The Cult Live At The Lyceum.

Dandelion

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1484147814' post='3213044']
Back to the sound. I agree a dollop of chorus and compression. [b]Tones in the plectrum.[/b]
[/quote]

Haha brilliant, i concur. :D

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1484236655' post='3213850']

Apologies for sidetracking, but I'm a little confused.

Are you saying you believe the tone comes from the "playing" hand, the fretting hand or a combination of both?
[/quote]

Tone comes from a combination of how your hitting the strings and how your fretting.IMO

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1484239639' post='3213892']
Tone comes from a combination of how your hitting the strings and how your fretting.IMO

Blue
[/quote]
Jamie had quite a hard playing action, he used to get stuck in.
A lot of compresssion and Chorus and he used to use a large TE stack back in the day. I know because I carried it in and out of a few gigs :)

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1484141516' post='3212963']
In my opinion chorus and compression are effects and have nothing to do with tone. Tone comes from your fingers.

Maybe the proper question should have been "What effects do I use to get my bass to sound like this?"

Blue
[/quote]
Mate you don't half speak some nonsense.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1484250516' post='3214079']

If it was a fretless, I would probably agree with you about the fretting hand, but I don't see that it makes any difference what is holding the string down on the fret. I think the same can be argued for the playing hand in this instance as a pick is being used. If I picked the string using that set up, it would sound exactly the same.
[/quote]

This is not a flipent response.

It's really vast what your fingers can do to create your own unique tone. You really have to have a clear cut idea on your style and the tone you want.

Me, I'm still mastering mine. My tone will come from really owning clean solid notes with speed,good tempo,a little ghosting and using open strings where most don't.

No weak or half arsed execution.

Also being able to do it from a standing position. There's lots of stuff I can do from a sitting position I can't do standing. I'm working on it though.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1484278675' post='3214315']
Guys, I think Scott from Scott's Bass would side with my position on tone.

Blue
[/quote]

Its your pedantry that most people have an issue with. the fact you dont seem to grasp that suggests that arrogance pay also be an issue here.
everyone else clearly understood what the OP was asking

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1484295611' post='3214366']

Its your pedantry that most people have an issue with. the fact you dont seem to grasp that suggests that arrogance pay also be an issue here.
everyone else clearly understood what the OP was asking
[/quote]

Maybe, there might be a little of that.

I thinks it's just a mere opinion, my opinion that tone comes from our fingers.

Most don't agree with that. That's fine, I guess it's not fair for me to take issue with that.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1484294348' post='3214355']

As you're apparently a fan and only because you brought it up, I'm sure you'll be aware that Scott (from Scott's Bass) usually wears a glove or gloves due to the condition that he suffers from which is called Focal Dystonia. He has stated that wearing the glove (on his fretting hand on a fretted bass) does not change the tone and this is the video that he says that in....

https://youtu.be/wOVGrGBeqiI
[/quote]

I've seen that clip and I agree his glove does not change his tone at all.

How his fingers are hitting the frets and the strings is where that tone is coming from.IMO

Blue

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1484295292' post='3214363']
Furthermore, Scott also states that different types, sizes and makes of string also have their part to play with regards to tone. Tone has a fairly broad description. I think you are confusing the issue by attempting to ignore fundamental tone, which is how the note sounds and focusing on other parts of tone i.e. overtones and harmonics, which can relate to how that note is played. The OP broadly asked how to achieve what was contained in the clip and I think we all know what he was driving at. The suggestion that effects have nothing to do with it either is also incorrect for the same reasons. You're not completely wrong, but you're not absolutely right either.
[/quote]

I have no problem with your commentary. I really do get what the OP is asking.

I apologise for hi- jacking his thread to express my opinion on tone.

Blue