Why become a member? ×

Withdrawn Yamaha BB1200 1977
£799

LukeFRC

Withdrawn

So not 100% about moving this on - it's a brilliant instrument which I love playing - it also has found itself sat under the bed more and more - my main bass can sound similar enough, and the idea of moving it on and finding something that will get played more appeals to me...

[b]So what is it?[/b]
Yamaha BB1200
Made in Japan in 1977 - the first year they made them, it's got a slightly unusal early headstock logo without any model name.
Through neck - as far as I know Maple body and neck with walnut or mahogany laminates
Ebony fretboard with oval inlays
Reverse P pickup
Volume and tone knobs - slight crackle as you might expect with a 39 year old instrument - not enough to bother me live, and contact cleaner would probably sort it out.
Big old bridge - apparently with a block of brass underneath. (never looked myself)
Overall in good but used condition, frets fine, odd dink and knock on the body - it's been played.
Weight about 9-9.5lb according to our luggage scales with the strap - if weight is a biggie to you I'll go find some other scales.

Original hardcase - in well used condition.
Original unattached pickguard
Original screwdriver and truss rod tool. Truss rod tool is split so there's a newer truss tool in there too.

[b]What does it sound like? [/b]
Well a little bit like a precision, but also nothing like a precision - it has more sustain, the attack of the note is different - the closest other bass I've tried to how this sounds is an Alembic I tried... in my head it's a cross between the two.

[b]How much?[/b]
So I've been trying to work out what these go for and prices seem to veer between silly cheap, and three times that uber expensive. There's not many of them around so it's hard to work out. I've stuck it midway in value, which is how much some Yamaha geeks on talkbass offered to buy it from me for. (They hadn't realised I'm not in the US)
With the prices being all over the place I will listen to offers - but if everyone values this silly cheap it probably best for me to hang onto it, if that makes sense?
This being basschat I'm sure there are trade offers out there, I guess, try me. Don't need any amps cabs or effects, ideally want something bolt on. Do trade and cash, with cash either way (I've not got masses to add to a trade so don't ask me for my bass and £3k for your Fodera!)

Based in Farsley, near Leeds. Family in peaks, essex and Newcastle so transporting bass as part of family visit a possibility if needed. Will post (at cost) to UK and EU no problem. Outwith EU feel free to ask but more apprehensive about.

Enough of this - most of you just came for the pictures!

Edited by LukeFRC

I Have the 79 model of this but it has the 1200 on the headstock but that dosent matter as this bass is solid, plays like a dream and has the most beautiful sounds, like you say a bit like a P but with steroids if you know what i mean.
anyway whoever buys this will certainly not be disappointed. First class build quality. GLWTS

[quote name='briansbrew' timestamp='1483914489' post='3211146']
I Have the 79 model of this but it has the 1200 on the headstock but that dosent matter as this bass is solid, plays like a dream and has the most beautiful sounds, like you say a bit like a P but with steroids if you know what i mean.
anyway whoever buys this will certainly not be disappointed. First class build quality. GLWTS
[/quote] cheers brians brew - it certainly is a good bass. :)

As I said, not sure how to value this so up for any cash offers and/or trade offers. Would love to sell to raise the money for something else but feel free to try me.

[quote name='BB2000' timestamp='1484402804' post='3215229']
It's none of my business but unless you need the cash I'd hold on to this, or at least sell it for a realistic price
[/quote] you may have a point there.

Edited by LukeFRC

[quote name='BB2000' timestamp='1484499595' post='3215897']
Sometimes I hear comments about the weight of these basses. These basses are built like a brick outhouse and the machine heads weigh about 2lb a set. If weight is an issue to any potential buyer they should know that a set of lightweight tuners will knock about 1lb off the weight.
[/quote] the thing is that this example isn't that heavy - about 9lb to 9.5lb according to the luggage scales. Maybe I should weigh it better - but it's really not more than you would expect for a similar fender.

Took it to practice last night and will be using it on Sunday - sounded nice, as you said I'm a bit daft to sell - but the money will let me buy something else... if that doesn't happen, well that doesn't happen