77 replies to this topic

#31 mike257

LOUD NOISES!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • Interests:Bassing/Writing/Recording

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:51 PM

I was mulling over the lack of more "modern" names here, and it got me thinking that I first saw Biffy Clyro in 2001, they've been a band since around 98/99, so are now touching distance from having a 20 year career of ever increasing success, from grinding out club tours in the early part of the century to filling arenas and headlining festivals the world over now. To me, I'd happily put them on a list like this. Probably shows just how massively subjective it all is though!

Sandberg California JM4 | Musicman Stingray 3EQ
Squier Modded-P of Doom | 'Extreme' Modded Jazz Copy
Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 | Ampeg SVT-610HLF | Custom 2x10

My Feedback Thread

BOOM! Event Services

Live Audio | Tour Management & Transport | Tech Services

#32 Barking Spiders

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Interests:Mainly chipotle chicken, Bateman's Mocha beer and the cute Chinese American girl off The Great Indoors

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:02 AM

Like his music, Gallagher's opinion is worthless as is everyone else's including mine ;). Anyway as jazz is such a niche genre I don't see how anyone can get worked up about it. Don't really have any musical heroes as I know little about the blokes wot make music I like. There are dozen or so whose stuff I'll buy blind and that's as far as being a fan goes for me

#33 PaulGibsonBass

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:28 AM

View Postgareth, on 08 January 2017 - 03:27 PM, said:

There is a thread about how Noel Gallagher dislikes jazz, to which my response is, who cares what he thinks - in other words to me his opinion is worthless, just as Sting's (yes the man who is helping global warming by having 20+ properties throughout the world) opinion on global warming is worthless

Anyways it got me thinking about bands like Oasis, Blur, REM. All of which I remember being told, often by the band members (and their egos) that they were the greatest bands ever.

Well not in my book. None have lasted the course, timewise, by creating an important body of music over a long period of time

So my long term super hero musicians would include, in no particular order

The Beatles
The stones
Elvis
Bob Dylan
Van Morrison
Joni Mitchell
Paul Simon
Jimi Hendrix

Anymore?

Oasis, Blur and REM all had fairly long careers, especially REM (15 studio albums over 28 years - significantly longer than The Beatles, Led Zeppelin etc) so I'm not in agreement about 'not lasting the course'.

The Stones and Dylan have both been going for decades but neither have made an 'important' album since the '70s.

#34 PaulGibsonBass

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:32 AM

View Postmike257, on 08 January 2017 - 11:51 PM, said:

I was mulling over the lack of more "modern" names here, and it got me thinking that I first saw Biffy Clyro in 2001, they've been a band since around 98/99, so are now touching distance from having a 20 year career of ever increasing success, from grinding out club tours in the early part of the century to filling arenas and headlining festivals the world over now. To me, I'd happily put them on a list like this. Probably shows just how massively subjective it all is though!

Absolutely, Biffy Clyro have done it the traditional way too, by slowly building up a following on their own terms, album after album until they started to reap the benefits of the hard work and got major commercial success. I really respect them for that.

#35 skb558

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:55 AM

All very subjective of course and someone finally mentioned Springsteen & The E Street Band but another two for me would be Neil Young and Tom Waits
'Man is just a virus in shoes' - Bill Hicks

#36 charic

Horklown Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,031 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:02 PM

Not a huge fan of Nirvana but they definitely had a lasting impact!
Not spotted Iron Maiden on this list either
Id love to mention Dream Theater but I doubt they'd make the list :ph34r:

More modern but for me Foo Fighters have to be one of the big names in recent times

The fretboard is your playground

No Fingering Or Slapping Allowed!

BC T&C's

Forum Behaviour Guidelines

#37 Geek99

bassically untalented

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,910 posts
  • Interests:coffee, bass, sleep

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:06 PM

I'd add johnny cash and also u2 and in particular Adam Clayton for his artistic integrity

Heh heh
I'm probably reading on an iPhone and so cant see signatures and locations as I'm likely using the lo-fi version..Please be understanding if I ask for this information for the usual reasons.

Vintage EST96A Stingray clone

73 sunburst P replica in nitro (by the Bass Doc)

Feedback here http://basschat.co.u...ack-for-geek99/

FOR SALE

nothing

#38 kendall

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:21 PM

Timmy Mallet
Ibanez SR500BM
Aria Pro 2
Fender Deluxe Jazz 5 string
Laney Richter RB5
Peavey Vypyr VIP
Lots of cables and unused picks.

#39 bubinga5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,502 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:34 PM

Stevie Wonder/Prince.
Steely Dan.
Pink Floyd.
Sting and the Police.
James Brown.
Incognito/Bluey.
Prince. :)
Steely Dan. ;)
Aguilar AG 500
Aguilar GS 212
Maruszczyk 5 string Jazz Bass
Mac Pro, Logic Pro
Yamaha P35
Yamaha CLP Clavinova
Presonus, soundcard.
M Audio
Some Groove

My conscious mind is a friend, forever growing with me. My sub-conscious mind is the stranger who teaches my friend who I am.

#40 bubinga5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 6,502 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:36 PM

View Postkendall, on 10 January 2017 - 12:21 PM, said:

Timmy Mallet
Have you seen that cat play the drums.? Hes sh*t.
Aguilar AG 500
Aguilar GS 212
Mac Pro, Logic Pro
Yamaha P35
Yamaha CLP Clavinova
Presonus, soundcard.
M Audio
Some Groove

My conscious mind is a friend, forever growing with me. My sub-conscious mind is the stranger who teaches my friend who I am.

#41 bubinga5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 6,502 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:38 PM

View PostPaulGibsonBass, on 09 January 2017 - 11:32 AM, said:

Absolutely, Biffy Clyro have done it the traditional way too, by slowly building up a following on their own terms, album after album until they started to reap the benefits of the hard work and got major commercial success. I really respect them for that.
Ive got say Biffy Clyro blow me away. Just really great music.
Aguilar AG 500
Aguilar GS 212
Mac Pro, Logic Pro
Yamaha P35
Yamaha CLP Clavinova
Presonus, soundcard.
M Audio
Some Groove

#42 dlloyd

Should be at work

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:45 PM

View PostT-Bay, on 08 January 2017 - 05:03 PM, said:

Nirvana's Bleach is perfection to me and Nevermind continues to sound fresh more than twenty years on.

Beg to differ. Bleach hasn't really aged but Nevermind is virtually unlistenable now. Way over-produced.

#43 T-Bay

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Interests:Old cars, old bikes, most things with an engine.

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:54 PM

View Postdlloyd, on 10 January 2017 - 09:45 PM, said:

Beg to differ. Bleach hasn't really aged but Nevermind is virtually unlistenable now. Way over-produced.
Coms down to personal taste, I have heard the over produced thing regurgitated over the years but it worked then and still does now, territorial pissings is my personal favourite but all good.

#44 dlloyd

Should be at work

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:16 PM

View PostT-Bay, on 10 January 2017 - 09:54 PM, said:

Coms down to personal taste, I have heard the over produced thing regurgitated over the years but it worked then and still does now, territorial pissings is my personal favourite but all good.

Perhaps. Nevermind's pop sensibilities came as a bit of a shock when it came out. It wasn't anything like Bleach or, for that matter, bands like Mudhoney, Tad or Soundgarden (Yes, I wore a Nato parka and DMs and thought I was an individual)... but it sounded great. Now it just sounds really dated.

#45 Marty Forrer

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:28 AM

Not superheroes, but should be in my opinion...
Snarky Puppy
Calexico
Emmylou Harris
Buddy Miller
Rodney Crowell
Willie Dixon

#46 Kiwi

Big and bouncy

• Administrators
  • 9,554 posts
  • Location:Wherever I lay my hat...was London, now Changsha, China.
  • Interests:DIY dentishtry. Competitive throat clearing, road raging at Chinese drivers.

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:03 AM

Gonna throw one in for dance/soul and I don't care if it makes me look uncool.

Nile Rodgers (a living legend) and Chic
The Freemasons
Stonebridge
Urlich Strauss
Abba (please play together one more time)
Meshell N'degeocello
Roy Ayers
Prince (jams only though)

Plus for kicks - Phil Collins, Toto and Joe Satriani
Bass: Self built 5-string semi hollow headless, '79 Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, '86 Pangborn Warlord graphite, '93 Pedulla Pentabuzz, '09 Shuker Headless 6 MIDI (signed by Lee Sklar, Doug Wimbish and Billy Sheehan),'00 Spector NS5CR, '90 Status Series 1 5 string.
Backline: EBS Microbass, Future Impact, Zoom B3 into two Genz Benz Shuttle 6's and two fEARful F112 cabs, two Burman Pro4000HD 140w valve heads, Trace Elliot Hexavalve
Guitar: Alan Knight 'Hitmaker' tribute, Chandler Custom HSS Strat (signed by Nile Rodgers), Klein replica with sustainer, Yamaha MSG Deluxe Mk 1, Yamaha MSG Deluxe Mk 2
Backline: Amptweaker Tight Rock, Joyo JF14 American Sound, Burman GX3 preamp, Zoom G3X, Lexicon MPXG2 + R1 foot controller, Ibanez TSA5 x2 and Burman Pro 501 50w combo.
Studio: Yamaha CS6R synth module, Axon AX100 pitch to MIDI, Lexicon MPXG2 and MIDIman 16ch mixer, Ableton Live

#47 Bolo

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:Many

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:47 AM

Les Claypool

Slayer is still doing their thing although like Metallica all their important work was in their first decade.

Anthrax however is doing much beter, having released solid heavy albums again in recent years, no trace of fatigue!

Jello Biafra who is a major catalyst in alternative music, nit just of Dead Kennedys fame, but also working with Al Jourgensen of Ministry, Gwar, Nine Inch Nails and many others. Annoying git though I can't listen to him speak 😃
Musicman SR5
SWR 750x, Basstown 4x12 ferrolite
MXR m82, Verellen Meatsmoke preamp, MXR m87

#48 lowdown

ďAll music is folk music.I ainít never heard a horse sing a song

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,634 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:59 AM

View PostKiwi, on 11 January 2017 - 04:03 AM, said:

Phil Collins, Toto

As deserving as any in this thread.
Toto should have been in my list. not sure how I forgot...
So many top, top players been in that band.
Some of the material from those early albums was terrific.

"Never Look At The Trombones. It Only Encourages Them." - Richard Strauss

Soundcloud

Facebook

Feedback

#49 mikel

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:23 AM

View PostT-Bay, on 08 January 2017 - 05:03 PM, said:

But can you name two more influential acts of the respective decades? Never mind the bollocks is a masterpiece, Nirvana's Bleach is perfection to me and Nevermind continues to sound fresh more than twenty years on.

What you are suggesting is that we should only list bands who drudge on for years and years? A case of 'never mind the quality, feel the width' as it were. I would much rather one or two superb albums than loads of mediocre ones. I can only list about ten bands/ artists that have more than five albums in my collection, out of a total of several hundred.

I have never bought into the 'I liked the first album so MUST buy ever other one' mentality. Each is judged on its own merits.

Edit: looking through other lists there are people on there of similar short existence. I took the OPs meaning as the length of the influence on you as much as anything and it seems others have as well.

I presume you aren't a fan of either The pistols or Nirvana? Oh well, that's a shame..........

I was not talking personal taste at all. I love the Beatles, most acts at the time found it hard to make singles as good as the Beatles album tracks, but they had lost it, for me, after the White Album. As for bands from your youth being the ones that people will hold up? Its probably right. Albums I still play after 40 years are early Yes stuff and Peter Gabriel era Genesis. Both ground breaking in the early 70s and judging by youtube hits still revered by all ages now. So they are long term influences still getting to the youth of today.

#50 No lust in Jazz

Dig if you will

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Interests:Getting the basics right

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:11 AM

Frank Zappa
Captain Beefheart
Kate Bush
Sly Stone
Tim Smith - Cardiacs
James Brown
Johnny Cash
Bowie

There will be others...

Edited by No lust in Jazz, 11 January 2017 - 10:36 AM.

Hustle - Loyalty - Respect

#51 kendall

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:38 AM

View Postbubinga5, on 10 January 2017 - 09:36 PM, said:

Have you seen that cat play the drums.? Hes sh*t.

You think so? I heard that Slayer were looking to hire him.
Ibanez SR500BM
Aria Pro 2
Fender Deluxe Jazz 5 string
Laney Richter RB5
Peavey Vypyr VIP
Lots of cables and unused picks.

#52 chris_b

• Members
  • 10,612 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:13 AM

My long term Super Heroes are the guys who made "my" music possible.

The guys who set up and ran the Stax, Fame, All American, Chess, Atlantic, Vee-Jay, Muscle Shoals, Motown, Malaco and J&M studios, and all the musicians, engineers, producers, arrangers and writers. . . even the secretaries.

They changed the world.
Lull~Lakland~Fender~Aguilar~Thunderfunk~Barefaced~obbm~Wolfcraft

People think I'm getting old! Watch out, I'm just getting started!

#53 rushbo

Forever Procrastinating

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Interests:PowerPop, sarcasm, Mexican Food and sleeping.

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:07 PM

View PostNo lust in Jazz, on 11 January 2017 - 09:11 AM, said:

Frank Zappa
Captain Beefheart
Kate Bush
Sly Stone
Tim Smith - Cardiacs
James Brown
Johnny Cash
Bowie

There will be others...

That's a good list.
An ever changing selection of mongrel Precision Bitsas with a few off the peg models...
Genz Benz amplification - Zoom B3 - Smooth Hound Wireless

My Rockin' R&B band - The Peoples Republic of Mercia

The Bass should serve the song

#54 mikel

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:19 PM

View PostPaulGibsonBass, on 09 January 2017 - 11:28 AM, said:

Oasis, Blur and REM all had fairly long careers, especially REM (15 studio albums over 28 years - significantly longer than The Beatles, Led Zeppelin etc) so I'm not in agreement about 'not lasting the course'.

The Stones and Dylan have both been going for decades but neither have made an 'important' album since the '70s.

Perhaps the OP was refering to the body of work of an artist or band standing the test of time, with regard to it still influencing the latest generation and still being widely listened to? Rather than the length of there recording career. Just a thought.

#55 Dave Vader

post-womble-deathcore hoedowns

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,604 posts
  • Interests:are things which interest you

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:37 PM

View Postmikel, on 11 January 2017 - 12:19 PM, said:

Perhaps the OP was refering to the body of work of an artist or band standing the test of time, with regard to it still influencing the latest generation and still being widely listened to? Rather than the length of there recording career. Just a thought.

And whether you love or hate them, Oasis and Blur inspired a whole generation to pick up guitars and right insipid dull indie pop that dominated radio 2 for the noughties.

And echos of Graham Coxon's guitar work can be heard in every band since then, while the propensity for endless beatlesy dirgey crap that gets everywhere was entirely fuelled by the Gallagher brothers.

And saying REM aren't influential is utterly wrong.

Some of this post may be in jest (not a massive fan of any of these bands, but the OP is way off the mark just because he doesn't like them)
:)

#56 MacDaddy

I am the baldy man.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:38 PM

Sting
The Police
Oasis
Blur
REM

;)

Bands:

The Junkyard Dogs
http://www.junkyarddogslondon.co.uk
& please like us on the Facebook! http://www.facebook....kyarddogslondon

DEMONSKILL
https://facebook.com/Demonskill1/
This space for rent.

has to write his own quote at the bottom of his sig

#57 mikel

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:05 PM

View PostDave Vader, on 11 January 2017 - 12:37 PM, said:

And whether you love or hate them, Oasis and Blur inspired a whole generation to pick up guitars and right insipid dull indie pop that dominated radio 2 for the noughties.

And echos of Graham Coxon's guitar work can be heard in every band since then, while the propensity for endless beatlesy dirgey crap that gets everywhere was entirely fuelled by the Gallagher brothers.

And saying REM aren't influential is utterly wrong.

Some of this post may be in jest (not a massive fan of any of these bands, but the OP is way off the mark just because he doesn't like them)
:)

With you on all of the above. Its the job of later generations to be influenced, in some way, by certain artists, but to take the influence further and to push boundaries. Re hashing the Beatles back catalogue is not moving music forwards.

#58 wateroftyne

SHAZAM!

• Global Moderators
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:10 PM

View PostPaulGibsonBass, on 09 January 2017 - 11:28 AM, said:

I'd suggest Dylan's 'Time Out of Mind' was an important LP.
Basses: Fender '71 Precision Fretted (rosewood) | Fender '71 Precision Fretless (rosewood) | Maruszczyk Jake P/J (x2)
Amplification: HandBox R-400 head | TKS Engineering S112 & S212 cabs | Ibanez Promethean P5110

Bands: The Lindisfarne Story | The Caffreys | Rosie & the Hips

See all my basses here | Watch video clips of them here | Hey! I've got feedback!

#59 Coilte

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:34 PM

View Postwateroftyne, on 11 January 2017 - 02:10 PM, said:

I'd suggest Dylan's 'Time Out of Mind' was an important LP.

What exactly constitutes an "important" album anyway ? :scratch_one-s_head:

#60 wateroftyne

SHAZAM!

• Global Moderators
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:47 PM

View PostCoilte, on 11 January 2017 - 02:34 PM, said:

What exactly constitutes an "important" album anyway ? :scratch_one-s_head:

It's a fuzzy concept, but I'd say it's something which is popular, well-received, and defines a moment. Time Out of Mind put him back in the public eye, and gave the world a new standard.

(IMO, obv)
Basses: Fender '71 Precision Fretted (rosewood) | Fender '71 Precision Fretless (rosewood) | Maruszczyk Jake P/J (x2)
Amplification: HandBox R-400 head | TKS Engineering S112 & S212 cabs | Ibanez Promethean P5110

Bands: The Lindisfarne Story | The Caffreys | Rosie & the Hips

See all my basses here | Watch video clips of them here | Hey! I've got feedback!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users