77 replies to this topic

#61 MacDaddy

I am the baldy man.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:53 PM

View Postmikel, on 11 January 2017 - 02:05 PM, said:

With you on all of the above. Its the job of later generations to be influenced, in some way, by certain artists, but to take the influence further and to push boundaries. Re hashing the Beatles back catalogue is not moving music forwards.

I don't think any form of 'popular music' has moved music forwards. If anything 'popular music' is musical regression.

If you look at the 'classical' world there is progression of tonality, harmony, rhythmic device etc. No 'artist' of 'popular' music has pushed musical boundaries in the same way as people like Beethoven, Wagner, Shoenberg, Stockhausen.

Bands:

The Junkyard Dogs
http://www.junkyarddogslondon.co.uk
& please like us on the Facebook! http://www.facebook....kyarddogslondon

DEMONSKILL
https://facebook.com/Demonskill1/
This space for rent.

has to write his own quote at the bottom of his sig

#62 timmo

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:55 PM

View Postmikel, on 11 January 2017 - 02:05 PM, said:

With you on all of the above. Its the job of later generations to be influenced, in some way, by certain artists, but to take the influence further and to push boundaries. Re hashing the Beatles back catalogue is not moving music forwards.
you could say that about most bands today. I was heavily influenced by bands like Neds Atomic Dustbin, but I wouldn't call them widely influential. They are probably as influential as the mentioned Pixies. Might have influenced a few people, but they are a niche band. It has become an argument about why a favourite band who has made an impact on them, and why they are more influential thhan a multi million selling band that could headline stadiums in multiple countries .
I hate Kanye West and everything about him, but just because I hate his work, I can't deny his influence
Clover Avenger 4 Left Handed

#63 Musicman20

IT'S A TRAP!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,098 posts
  • Interests:Bass/Guitar/Beer/Star Wars.

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:56 PM

Bowie.
The Beatles.

Approaching the list?

Radiohead.

#64 timmo

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:09 PM

The Beatles inspired The Jam, who was responsible for the mod revival
Prince Buster for inspiring Bob Marley, and also The Specials. Both of them are still inspiring people in their genres.
The Ramones for Sex Pistols and punk.
Black Sabbath for heavy metal. The influences before them.
I guess you could include DJ's from the Northern Soul period.
It could be a never ending list, but most come back to the Beatles somehow I would imagine.

Clover Avenger 4 Left Handed

#65 mikel

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:38 PM

View PostMacDaddy, on 11 January 2017 - 02:53 PM, said:

I don't think any form of 'popular music' has moved music forwards. If anything 'popular music' is musical regression.

If you look at the 'classical' world there is progression of tonality, harmony, rhythmic device etc. No 'artist' of 'popular' music has pushed musical boundaries in the same way as people like Beethoven, Wagner, Shoenberg, Stockhausen.

Possibly, but the aforementioned "Classical" composers are, in musical terms, from ancient history. In the 60s, 70s and even 80s there were lots of artists pushing the boundaries. Taking lots of influences and mixing/shaking them up. Also, "Classical" music, as we call it now, was the popular music of the day, by and large.

Edited by mikel, 11 January 2017 - 05:09 PM.

#66 Low End Bee

Knows three of the Members

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • Interests:Brentford FC
    HP sauce
    Brothel Creepers
    Not being abducted by Aliens

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:51 PM

the Stranglers. Especially for the 2nd album.

#67 T-Bay

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Interests:Old cars, old bikes, most things with an engine.

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:21 PM

View Postmikel, on 11 January 2017 - 08:23 AM, said:

I was not talking personal taste at all. I love the Beatles, most acts at the time found it hard to make singles as good as the Beatles album tracks, but they had lost it, for me, after the White Album. As for bands from your youth being the ones that people will hold up? Its probably right. Albums I still play after 40 years are early Yes stuff and Peter Gabriel era Genesis. Both ground breaking in the early 70s and judging by youtube hits still revered by all ages now. So they are long term influences still getting to the youth of today.
But that is personal taste! I don't think the Beatles can hold a candle to the Kinks, the stones or (a bit later) the Who. But that is opinion, music is not like running the 100m, no one an saybthis or that is better. Only that this or that is better TO ME. You don't think the pistols or nirvana deserve to be on the list, but as it's MY list then they do, similarly you and only you can decide what goes on your list. Nobody can tell people they are wrong for having an opinion different to the one you hold yourself.

I work with youngsters every day and I can say 100% that in twenty years not a single one has ever mentioned genesis or yes but a hell of a lot mention nirvana and a good few know the pistols, if only by reputation. Have a look at the number of hits on nirvana stuff on YouTube and you main gain a better insight to the influence (despite the lower numbers of albums I think you will find a significantly higher hit rate).

#68 2elliot

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:Old BMX bikes...

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:44 PM

The Cure
Anthrax
Iron Maiden

Edited by 2elliot, 11 January 2017 - 05:46 PM.

Warwick Streamer Stage 1
Trace Elliot 1225v
Trace Elliot AH600 -12
Barefaced 410

#69 tauzero

The Voice of Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,320 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:20 PM

Has Genesis been mentioned yet (other than Phil Collins)?

I think T Rex had a lot of influence on the glam rock scene of the 70s so I'll nominate them.
Coitum volaticum non dono

http://www.thelightning.co.uk - The Lightning - rock covers band
http://www.spiralsix.co.uk/ - Spiral Six - rock covers band
http://www.secondtimeround.org.uk - Second Time Round - acoustic duo

#70 oldbass

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:48 PM

Agree with just about everything above but..... at the top is Bowie.

Before him everything was just post 19th century, he came along and invented the modern musical world as we know it....

#71 mikel

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:12 PM

View PostT-Bay, on 11 January 2017 - 05:21 PM, said:

But that is personal taste! I don't think the Beatles can hold a candle to the Kinks, the stones or (a bit later) the Who. But that is opinion, music is not like running the 100m, no one an saybthis or that is better. Only that this or that is better TO ME. You don't think the pistols or nirvana deserve to be on the list, but as it's MY list then they do, similarly you and only you can decide what goes on your list. Nobody can tell people they are wrong for having an opinion different to the one you hold yourself.

I work with youngsters every day and I can say 100% that in twenty years not a single one has ever mentioned genesis or yes but a hell of a lot mention nirvana and a good few know the pistols, if only by reputation. Have a look at the number of hits on nirvana stuff on YouTube and you main gain a better insight to the influence (despite the lower numbers of albums I think you will find a significantly higher hit rate).

I am not arguing with you mate, we are both saying pretty much the same thing. I also love the Kinks, but to say there body of work was as influential as the Beatles, love them or hate them, is well wide of the mark. As for the Stones.....I also love there singles but as Kieth admits, they are a one trick pony, a good trick but one trick. You have to look at where pop music was when the Beatles came along, and where they dragged it to in only 7 short years. Most acts didnt even compose there own material until the Beatles broke the mould.

#72 T-Bay

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Interests:Old cars, old bikes, most things with an engine.

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:52 PM

View Postmikel, on 11 January 2017 - 08:12 PM, said:

I am not arguing with you mate, we are both saying pretty much the same thing. I also love the Kinks, but to say there body of work was as influential as the Beatles, love them or hate them, is well wide of the mark. As for the Stones.....I also love there singles but as Kieth admits, they are a one trick pony, a good trick but one trick. You have to look at where pop music was when the Beatles came along, and where they dragged it to in only 7 short years. Most acts didnt even compose there own material until the Beatles broke the mould.

I am not looking to argue either , but attempting to assume everyone will have the same influences as you or is quite annoying. The Kinks were far more influential on ME than the Beatles, as were the stones. This is the point of thread - who were YOUR musical heroes, not a discussion of who has influenced the most people. The Beatles have not influenced me, except in a negative way, I avoid their music whenever I can despite a member of our band being in a Beatles tribute band. They do nothing for me and never have. But that's not to say others won't have them as major influences and think they are the best thing in the world. No two lists of here are the same, even if a million people compared their favourite stuff I doubt two would match. One mans meat is another's poison and all that. But for ME the Beatles wouldn't be in the top thousand but the Kinks, Stones, Nirvana and the pistols would be very high up.

#73 paul_5

Kaye Baiter Extrordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,063 posts
  • Interests:Recidivism, tea & crumpets, unlikely and bizarre things

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:53 PM

Frank Zappa
Feedback
AMPEG, Barefaced & little boxes full of Doctortweek's lovely bits.

#74 KevB

Another pole dancing clown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:31 PM

No mention of Robbie Williams? shame on you all.
Basses - enough...probably
Amps - just enough
Cabs - def enough for my back
Pedals - 4...but one has 13 notes
Other stuff - more than enough

#75 Kitsto

No longer a newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:56 PM

Good to see Steve Kilbey and Bill Nelson mentioned. For me:
Rory Gallagher
Robin Trower
Mark Tremonti

#76 Marty Forrer

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:29 PM

Justin Beiber

#77 deepbass5

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Interests:Bass and General live music

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:28 PM

St Winifred's school choir
Timmy Mallett
Joe Dolce
Bobby Crush

Shuker 5 with wizards + East pre - Marleaux mbass 5 + East pre - Status Electro 2 + East pre

SWR SM500 - Mesa D800 - Two Acme low B series III cabs called Rosie & Jim

#78 ahpook

Just a $30 Reverend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,110 posts
  • Interests:Leading the campaign for Unreal Rock.

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:56 PM

View Postdeepbass5, on 15 January 2017 - 08:28 PM, said:

St Winifred's school choir

Yeah, but only the first two E.P.s - they sold out after that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users