Why become a member? ×

Ah well. Here we go with 2017. Peter Sardsted RIP

leschirons

We are mortal, people are dying all the time although our culture tries to hide the fact. We're all going to die. People age, they suffer pain and disease, they die. It is the nature of life.

So I get a tired with OMG, 2016, somebody we know of has died, OMG 2017, people are still dying!

Is it just me that finds this obsession with celebrity death unhealthy?

Peter

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1483988401' post='3211764']
We are mortal, people are dying all the time although our culture tries to hide the fact. We're all going to die. People age, they suffer pain and disease, they die. It is the nature of life.

So I get a tired with OMG, 2016, somebody we know of has died, OMG 2017, people are still dying!

Is it just me that finds this obsession with celebrity death unhealthy?

Peter
[/quote]

The reason people (myself included) post these things is usually, (whether a fan or not) that some of these people formed part of the soundtrack to their lives.

I personally couldn't stand "Where do you go to my lovely" however, it was continuously on the radio and T.V in a certain period of my life and therefore, became part of the backdrop to it and yes, it does make us realise that we aren't immortal as we subconsciously think that those famous names we grew up with will always be there.

It also gives some people the chance to reminisce a little if they want to.

It's not really an unhealthy obsession with celebrity death, just another way of marking the passage through our own lives.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1483994399' post='3211850']

The only options to appease you are either we let the death of admired fellow musicians go unspoken of or the people in question refrain from dying.
[/quote]

It's not the notification or the celebration of an artist's death that I remarked on but the 'oh here we go again' theme that I perceive both here and in the 2016 thread. So your reasoning is flawed I'm afraid Pete, at least from my perspective. The notification is done better by mainstream news anyway and while I liked Peter Sarstedt's 'where do you go to my lovely' in its day it's not a song that was probably formative for most of us.

The cult of the celebrity grew exponentially from the 60's so in terms of an increase in notable deaths it's something we may as well get used to.

Disrespectful? Let me just say this. I have worked in a profession where dealing with death in the immediate sense was everyday. I can't think of any colleagues who did more to ease the process and facilitate healthy grieving (no I wasn't an undertaker). So I resent that crass suggestion.

I didn't know Peter Sarstedt. I don't know any of his friends or family. If I did I'd offer them my condolences and support. I'm no Christian so RIP would be inappropriate.

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1483994995' post='3211864']
The reason people (myself included) post these things is usually, (whether a fan or not) that some of these people formed part of the soundtrack to their lives.

I personally couldn't stand "Where do you go to my lovely" however, it was continuously on the radio and T.V in a certain period of my life and therefore, became part of the backdrop to it and yes, it does make us realise that we aren't immortal as we subconsciously think that those famous names we grew up with will always be there.

It also gives some people the chance to reminisce a little if they want to.

It's not really an unhealthy obsession with celebrity death, just another way of marking the passage through our own lives.
[/quote]

I agree,although I actually did like the song since I was in my guitar playing student folky phase at the time.
I especially like the "passage of time" idea and marvel at the fact that I was a mere 23 year old when the song was a hit and so much has happened to me since, but I can still feel the energy and emotion that I felt way back then when I think of or hear that song.It takes me to an interesting time and place.And life goes on,and that's a good thing,it's not an obsession, it is just life.

Bob

It would be better if you had started a totally new topic away from someone who wanted to make an obituary about someones death. You dont know him, but that doesn't mean to say that no one on here does.
I take your opinion as a valid point, but I would just have preferred it as a seperate topic. That is all I am saying

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1483999188' post='3211910']
It would be better if you had started a totally new topic away from someone who wanted to make an obituary about someones death. You dont know him, but that doesn't mean to say that no one on here does.
I take your opinion as a valid point, but I would just have preferred it as a seperate topic. That is all I am saying
[/quote]

I understand. Rest assured if anyone here is effected by his death then as I said, my condolences go to them. I would join in the celebration of his life and respect the loss felt by those close to him.