Why become a member? ×

Do the famous gig?

la bam

Morning all,
A question that I often think is what happens when you become 'famous' (or your band does)?

Is that it for live gigs (apart from official big gigs with the band)?

Id hate to think thatd be the case.

Imagine being so talented then only getting that gig buzz a few times a year - sometimes only every few years!

Just wondered if famous bands still gig (on the quiet) or under the radar (as a pub band under a different name etc), or if the musicians have side projects where they can get their gig fix?

Seems such a shame to have all that talent and drive, then not gig.

[quote name='Acebassmusic' timestamp='1483962408' post='3211383']
I have family in the New Jersey area of the US and according to them its alleged a certain Mr Springsteen will head out to the local jams or sit in with local bands!
[/quote]

I was at a gig once when he just sort of shuffled onstage and played rhythm guitar for 3 numbers then shuffled off again :)

[quote name='la bam' timestamp='1483959788' post='3211353']

Just wondered if famous bands still gig (on the quiet) or under the radar (as a pub band under a different name etc), or if the musicians have side projects where they can get their gig fix?

[/quote]

Yes they often have side projects like Me FIrst And The Gimme Gimmes, or little studio projects.

[quote name='la bam' timestamp='1483959788' post='3211353']
Morning all,
A question that I often think is what happens when you become 'famous' (or your band does)?

Is that it for live gigs (apart from official big gigs with the band)?

Id hate to think thatd be the case.

Imagine being so talented then only getting that gig buzz a few times a year - sometimes only every few years!

Seems such a shame to have all that talent and drive, then not gig.
[/quote]

What does talent have to do with being or becoming famous?

For me the whole point of being able to make a living out of writing and playing the music I liked, would be so I didn't have to waste my time doing other things in order to put food on the table or keep a roof over my head.

I still wouldn't have time for side projects (ignoring the fact that IMO they dilute what you really should be doing) because I'd be too busy creating and preforming the music I want to do with my band.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1483965340' post='3211424']

For me the whole point of being able to make a living out of writing and playing the music I liked, would be so I didn't have to waste my time doing other things in order to put food on the table or keep a roof over my head.

I still wouldn't have time for side projects (ignoring the fact that IMO they dilute what you really should be doing) because I'd be too busy creating and preforming the music I want to do with my band.
[/quote]

I suppose the 'talent' v 'fame' is another topic!

What I'm getting at is say being for example Steve vai. Now he's famous is he only ever going to be allowed to gig what he's famous for on big stages a few gigs every other year, or would he love to be playing guitar in a covers band, playing classics and getting that gig buzz.

Just because people have made it big, doesn't necessarily mean that they wouldn't want to have a blast playing classics for the love of playing, rather than being sat around not gigging.

Edited by la bam

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1483965340' post='3211424']

[/quote]

I think you're missing the gist of the post somewhat.

I think the answer to the OP's post is... some do, some don't. This is partly the reason why parallel solo careers happen, I think.

[quote name='la bam' timestamp='1483966338' post='3211435']
I suppose the 'talent' v 'fame' is another topic!

What I'm getting at is say being for example Steve vai. Now he's famous is he only ever going to be allowed to gig what he's famous for on big stages a few gigs every other year, or would he love to be playing guitar in a covers band, playing classics and getting that gig buzz.

Just because people have made it big, doesn't necessarily mean that they wouldn't want to have a blast playing classics for the love of playing, rather than being sat around not gigging.
[/quote]

Is Steve Vai actually famous amongst people who aren't actually musicians? Even to me he's just some widdley guitarist who doesn't seem to ever played any music I'm remotely interested in.

And how do you know that he's actually want to be doing any of those things that you mention. There's a lot to be said for sitting on your bum watching telly or surfing the net if you don't actually need to work.

And as for "playing the classics". I can't think of anything more boring.

Gary Moore was always popping up at local Sussex gigs. He was definitely one of those that needed the on stage gigging buzz. A lot of other players do seem to have the need too, Clapton used to run a gig in his local village hall for many years. Robert Plant seems to be doing lots of side projects to keep his hand in. I'm sure there are plenty of others.

i think the focus shifts when people get famous. they work to get their fame, but when they are there they play to fulfill their own egos, fill bank accounts or to appease the fans.

look at bands like metallica that still spend an 18 month cycle touring after an album where they largely play classic stuff. yes they get paid a load, but at their stage, they must be driven to do it, it can't all be about the money.

i bet jon bon jovi is sick to death of "livin' on a prayer", but then if you are on stage with thousands of people singing back to you, it must give you some emotions.

Edited by RockfordStone

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1483967549' post='3211462']
Is Steve Vai actually famous amongst people who aren't actually musicians? Even to me he's just some widdley guitarist who doesn't seem to ever played any music I'm remotely interested in.
[/quote]
don't say that on GuitarChat, you will get lynched.... someone said something similar about Jaco Pastorious once, look at the sh*t storm that started

In all honesty if Steve Vai and a reborn Jaco held a jam night in our village pub it still wouldn't be full in there.

The famous bit is only in the eyes of the people watching, I sat next to Carl Foggarty having my lunch at the NEC classic car show a couple of years ago, no one bothered him, if he'd tried to sit in there a week earlier at the Motorbike show he'd have mobbed!

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1483970447' post='3211516']

The famous bit is only in the eyes of the people watching, I sat next to Carl Foggarty having my lunch at the NEC classic car show a couple of years ago, no one bothered him, if he'd tried to sit in there a week earlier at the Motorbike show he'd have mobbed!
[/quote]
Very true - a few years ago I was at an industry dinner and every table had two Bath rugby players as guests. My then boss was a big football fan, but his son had started playing rugby, so he wanted some autographs. He asked me who the famous ones were, and when I pointed out he was sitting next to Ieuan Evans he didn't have a clue who he was!

I have seen a few 'big' bands in London or parts thereof under assumed names. Usually a reference to one of their tracks or something about them. A mate was obsessed with discovering them and used to hunt through the gig pages in NME (remember them?) when even tiny venues used to list and look for obscure references on band names he didn't recognise. A lot of the time it was just small bands we had never heard of but we saw Paul Weller amongst other people in a tiny place and badly disguised, but obvious who it was as soon as he started singing and judging from the number of The Jam t shorts being worn it was obvious my mate wasn't the only one to suss it out.

I am not sure if they did it to try something new or just because they wanted the feel of a small venue again, my guess is the latter.

Viz this fame chat me and the family happened to be among the crowd in Leicester Square last summer where the premiere of some Star Trek film was. My missus and girls like this stuff, recognising all the thesps strolling by. The only face and name I knew was Simon Pegg and that's only because I love Spaced. I relish being an out of touch old f*rt. As for musicians are there any who are truly famous, beyond their constituencies?

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1483977319' post='3211614']

Very true - a few years ago I was at an industry dinner and every table had two Bath rugby players as guests. My then boss was a big football fan, but his son had started playing rugby, so he wanted some autographs. He asked me who the famous ones were, and when I pointed out he was sitting next to Ieuan Evans he didn't have a clue who he was!
[/quote]

No I haven't got a clue who he is either! Ha

A friend of my brothers was having her 18th birthday party at Julie's nightclub in Newcastle in 85/86 ish. They asked if she minded if a new local band played a set.

The band turned out to be Dire Straits, who had just played at the City Hall. I think my brother said they played for about 2 hours.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1483991400' post='3211808']

Carl who? ;)
[/quote]

Exactly, although he was King of the jungle so millions of non motorcycling fans would know him from that I suppose.

I could name dozens of footballers, by that I mean more than one dozen if I really tried, I honestly wouldn't have a clue if I was in a restaurant with all of the top premier league players at the same time!