Why become a member? ×

Basschat Noodle Bar - keep or cull?

Skol303

Ok y’all, a quick and simple question to kick-off the new year in the ‘Rec forum…

[b]Shall we keep and re-launch the monthly Noodle Bar challenge?[/b]
[b]Or should we cull and consign it to the annals of Basschat history?[/b]

If only a small number of you want to keep it going that’s absolutely fine by me. Likewise, I don't mind putting it out to pasture if the consensus veers that way.

So make your voice heard and VOTE! [i]We do love a good vote down here, innit…[/i]

Comments welcome in the thread below, including any suggestions for other stuff you'd like to see happening in this forum :)

Edited by Skol303

i spend a lot of time on the recording forum, i don't really engage with the noodle bar.

no offence to those who take the time to do it, but listening to a 60 second "noodle" just doesn't do it for me, so I haven't listened to anything from it since the very first entry or two.

that said, anything that can get people playing is a good thing, but it just doesnt tickle my fancy.

I've never entered, I keep forgetting about it. I don't think it's a bad idea but I like the composition competition idea better. It wouldn't be fair of me to express my opinion either way as I don't take part. This isn't really helping, is it?

Ok I'm gonna get off the fence and put my two pennies in. I think you should either keep it or scrap it. There you go.

if i was to be brutal, the whole thing could be done within the confines of a single stickied thread, and anyone who has a noodle can stick it in there, the challenge element just means someone has to routinely set up and manage a thread which realistically only 3 or 4 people enter.

ultimately, the decision should lay with that person who does the leg work for it, but i don't see enough input or interest in it to justify keeping on top of it every month, especially given the compositions challenge is more popular.

I see the poll attracted all of three votes! Currently Haha.
I'm obviously up for keeping it going. I still think it was a good idea with good intentions. I think the recording section as a whole doesn't get enough attention. As I've said on many an occasion the rules were so simple practically anyone could join in. And while I think the main composition challenge is very good my thinking was that some people don't have the equipment, knowledge or time to put together a full composition.
So I thought the bare bones approach would attract some participation on the forum.

Maybe people just think its aimless noodling, which sometimes it is but it can be a section/passage of a song, a riff etc. Some have entered there isolated bass from the composition challenge.

I'm up for keeping it going as long as it gets some form of activity. You never know in 2017 it may become the next big thing haha.

Just one more thing. Maybe it would make it more interesting if we allowed use of a looper?

Edited by Twincam

A few more thoughts. To open/spice it up a little more while still keep things relatively simple for everyone.

Make it more of a challenge/comp like the composition thread, by having a picture for inspiration. Also the winner of that month chooses next months inspiration pic. The pic can be anything at all.

Increase the allotted time up to 100 seconds which is still short but maybe not as constrained as 60 seconds. If people want to use less time then that is obviously ok.

Allow fx still. But also Loopers is now allowed. After all its still bass playing.
I'm not sure about drum tracks as I feel that is getting into full on composition challenge and possibly getting from the simplicity side??? Really we just want the bass guitar instrument.
Maybe singing? I personally wouldn't but I would really dig someone singing with just bass (and the allowed fx).

Loopers seems ok to me as it will still be all about the bass but anything else would just seem to move into composition territory
and therefore may as well enter the comp. challenge .
For me its the bass and drums that have the most symbiotic relationship and therefore if we are going to allow anything else
then i would opt for drums personally ...having said that i shall still take part in whatever format the noodle bar takes,although
it will probably be just a bass noodle from me :)

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1484899406' post='3219454']
A few more thoughts. To open/spice it up a little more while still keep things relatively simple for everyone.

Make it more of a challenge/comp like the composition thread, by having a picture for inspiration. Also the winner of that month chooses next months inspiration pic. The pic can be anything at all.

Increase the allotted time up to 100 seconds which is still short but maybe not as constrained as 60 seconds. If people want to use less time then that is obviously ok.

Allow fx still. But also Loopers is now allowed. After all its still bass playing.
I'm not sure about drum tracks as I feel that is getting into full on composition challenge and possibly getting from the simplicity side??? Really we just want the bass guitar instrument.
Maybe singing? I personally wouldn't but I would really dig someone singing with just bass (and the allowed fx).
[/quote]
didn't we discuss that before and the idea of the challenge to a picture takes away from the composition challenge.

i don't understand why this needs to be a "challenge".

i thought the original idea was to get people recording, without the pressure of a composition. putting pressure on people as a challenge, or to work from a picture probably puts more pressure to make something. i know that some months in the composition challenge, i back out cos i just cant see anything in the picture, and that would happen here.

just keep it open as a safe space for people to throw noodles in, with no pressure and with loops or other instrumentation if they wish. there doesnt have to be a winner or loser, just have fun with it.

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1484905325' post='3219499']
just keep it open as a safe space for people to throw noodles in, with no pressure and with loops or other instrumentation if they wish. there doesnt have to be a winner or loser, just have fun with it.
[/quote]

^ That might be a good way to keep it going.

I'm not so keen on the idea of using a photo for inspiration - I totally get the thinking behind it (thanks Twincam for the suggestion), but I feel it would make the Noodle Bar a sort of "poor relation" of the Composition Challenge. Playing whatever you like is part of the Noodle Bar's charm in my opinion.

I do however like the suggestion of allowing people to include drum tracks. That's such an important part of bass playing; I think it might help to bring some of there noddles 'to life' a bit more. Lots of places where drum loops can be downloaded for free online. And I'd be happy to write a short tutorial on how to mix a drum track with a bass recording for anyone who needs help with (e.g. using Reaper, which is essentially free). It could be that everyone records a noodle to the same drum track each month... just an idea.

Ultimately, we need to focus on the preferences of the small number of people who are [i]already[/i] interested (just as we do with the composition challenge), rather than worrying about what might appeal to the rest of the Basschat community. Nothing we do is likely to boost interest in the challenge considerably (without offering prizes, for example). So I'd rather just make sure it's keeping those who [u]are[/u] interested happy :)

Further input very welcome. We can review everything at the end of the month (next weekend) and decide where to go from there...

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1484905325' post='3219499']

didn't we discuss that before and the idea of the challenge to a picture takes away from the composition challenge.

i don't understand why this needs to be a "challenge".

i thought the original idea was to get people recording, without the pressure of a composition. putting pressure on people as a challenge, or to work from a picture probably puts more pressure to make something. i know that some months in the composition challenge, i back out cos i just cant see anything in the picture, and that would happen here.

[/quote]

I just think a challenge adds something. Focuses the mind maybe? And stops it being a free for all thread where if your lucky someone might give it a listen before it gets buried. Not that we are initadated with entries haha.
Its not really a serious competition just a way of grouping the months entries together and asking people to give them a listen and a vote if you like any.
I really think if its just a thread for noodles it would seem a little aimless. I need that bit of motivation.

I'm all up for keeping it a play anything you like.

Maybe having the votes every two months, with multiple entries allowed??? That would give people more time and it would maybe get a few more entries.

IMHO the Noodle Bar is a key to the sort of thing that should be the life-blood of Basschat.

Whenever I see it Mrs G and I like to take a look and listen to the contributions. By the time I notice the thread it's normally too late to vote.

It's the competition element that puts me off of contributing to the Noodle Bar. Compared to most here I'm new to bass and I'm chap at playing, but I can see that for most who do enter it's the voting that makes it worth doing.

It's sad that it doesn't get the profile on the forum it deserves. IMHO it's more relevant to BC than the composition thread, yet I know that struggles too.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1484986882' post='3220148']
IMHO the Noodle Bar is a key to the sort of thing that should be the life-blood of Basschat.

Whenever I see it Mrs G and I like to take a look and listen to the contributions. By the time I notice the thread it's normally too late to vote.

It's the competition element that puts me off of contributing to the Noodle Bar. Compared to most here I'm new to bass and I'm chap at playing, but I can see that for most who do enter it's the voting that makes it worth doing.

It's sad that it doesn't get the profile on the forum it deserves. IMHO it's more relevant to BC than the composition thread, yet I know that struggles too.
[/quote]

Ah don't worry about being any good because a noodle can be a rather simple affair.
Also i have came last in more votes than amyone. In a way its part of the fun.
Its not a competition its a challenge, to use the bare bones but still get something hopefully half pleasent, within the allotted time and rules.
For me it's a challenge against the agreed rules rather than going up against others.

Although I have dreamt of getting the most votes. And how for a month I could say I was the best noodler that month in the world!!! I don't think there's another noodle challenge for bass anyhow.

My gf plays bass better than I do but for some reason she just can not put a little noodle together. I'm going to see if she will join bc and join in.

OK people, enlighten me please. First off I went searching for a forum called Noodle Bar, or at least a sticky thread. None found so found one of the noodle bar polls and now I'm wondering... it's just a poll / post within the General Discussion forum right? Don't take offence at my use of the word 'just' - it's not demeaning in any way!.

If you're pointing at the screen and calling MisterT a muppet for not finding the actual Noodle Bar then fine, I'll be Statler. Or Waldorf.

Being new to this, yes, I'd be interested in posting but being a bit new to playing I don't fancy it as a competition, would just rather post and see what people think or comment on others' playing asking for tips or whatever. You lot post all the time but us beginners are a bit fwitened of posting in the first place, let alone for there to be a winner or at least a ranking factor.

And assuming I was right with the polls being posted straight into the General Discussion forum then the Noodle Bar deserves a sub-forum in its own right, save having to trawl and of course that forum sees a new topic drop off page 1 in a few short hours.

Just my 2p.

I personally like the Noodle Bar in it’s current form (no I don’t mean on hold and under debate) the only change I would suggest is possibly doubling the allowed length of time so that a noodle could be anything from a few seconds up to, but not necessarily using all of, a couple of minutes.

Mrs Agwife has mentioned in the past that some people could be put off entering if they feel their playing isn’t up to scratch, which I can understand; however, the challenge aspect asks us to vote for our FAVORITE three NOT the most technically proficient or best structured or whatever – you get my drift.
Anyone who watches Strictly will tell you favorite doesn’t necessarily mean most accomplished.

To me the joy of the Noodle Bar is listening to and being inspired by everyone’s contributions. I’m sure most of us can agree that our bass isn’t primarily a solo instrument but having said that I’ve been frequently surprised and amazed at the sheer variety of sounds and styles that manifest themselves in the Noodle Bar.

[quote name='Agwin' timestamp='1485010814' post='3220387']
I personally like the Noodle Bar in it’s current form (no I don’t mean on hold and under debate) the only change I would suggest is possibly doubling the allowed length of time so that a noodle could be anything from a few seconds up to, but not necessarily using all of, a couple of minutes.

Mrs Agwife has mentioned in the past that some people could be put off entering if they feel their playing isn’t up to scratch, which I can understand; however, the challenge aspect asks us to vote for our FAVORITE three NOT the most technically proficient or best structured or whatever – you get my drift.
Anyone who watches Strictly will tell you favorite doesn’t necessarily mean most accomplished.

To me the joy of the Noodle Bar is listening to and being inspired by everyone’s contributions. I’m sure most of us can agree that our bass isn’t primarily a solo instrument but having said that I’ve been frequently surprised and amazed at the sheer variety of sounds and styles that manifest themselves in the Noodle Bar.
[/quote]

I pretty much agree with that. Especially about the challenge aspect. I think people should not be put off as you say its not a vote on abilities. And I think the voting itself provides discussion and interaction.
People also shouldn't fear getting the least votes or even non. Have courage! Be brave! Once more into the breach of the noodle challenge!

I'm glad people have chimed in with ideas etc. Because I honestly thought no one was interested. It will be interesting to see what happens and what changes will be made. Whatever the change I will still be in however.

On another note I've been sitting on a noodle and slowly refining it.

[quote name='MisterT' timestamp='1484998568' post='3220248']
OK people, enlighten me please. First off I went searching for a forum called Noodle Bar, or at least a sticky thread. None found so found one of the noodle bar polls and now I'm wondering... it's just a poll / post within the General Discussion forum right? Don't take offence at my use of the word 'just' - it's not demeaning in any way!.

If you're pointing at the screen and calling MisterT a muppet for not finding the actual Noodle Bar then fine, I'll be Statler. Or Waldorf.

Being new to this, yes, I'd be interested in posting but being a bit new to playing I don't fancy it as a competition, would just rather post and see what people think or comment on others' playing asking for tips or whatever. You lot post all the time but us beginners are a bit fwitened of posting in the first place, let alone for there to be a winner or at least a ranking factor.

And assuming I was right with the polls being posted straight into the General Discussion forum then the Noodle Bar deserves a sub-forum in its own right, save having to trawl and of course that forum sees a new topic drop off page 1 in a few short hours.

Just my 2p.
[/quote]

We post our noodles in the noodle thread for that month in this recording section and we can discuss them there also. Then after the allotted time frame there a vote on all the noodles in the general discussion section.

Here is an example of last October's entries.
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/293233-october-noodle-bar-now-open/

And here is its voting thread.
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/294506-noodle-challenge-voting/

I am hesitant to offer much input here because the idea hasn't grabbed me from day 1, only for the reason that I rarely find the interest in solo bass playing, whether that be some of the 'greats' showing their chops or some simple riff work or noodles, the quality of the playing is irrelevant it is just something that doesn't float my boat.
I think a noodle thread for both the production and the discussion seems an obvious choice , for the input of the time and energy to collate and post the poll in regard of a challenge would need to be based on more interest and involvement.
I think Twincams passion for the thing is commendable , it just needs a consistent handful to join the fold and it would generate the interest better.

• 1 month later...

I haven't been around much on BC these last few months so have missed this...

It's a shame to see the noodle bar fall into disrepair, but to be honest I don't think the interest level warrants the time put in to manage it with the voting threads etc.

I liked the concept, simple, unaccompanied bass.

Press Record - Play Bass - Press Stop

Maybe it's time will come again... :)

Edited by CamdenRob