Why become a member? ×

Janek Gwizdala VLOG

Crawford13

So today 09/01/17 Janek said on his VLOG that he is wanting to do Solo bass gigs anywhere in the world he just wants people to bring him tangible suggestions and help setting up a venue. I would love to bring him to the UK ideally Scotland or North England. Is there any one else out there that wants to help make this happen? Get in contact and we can make this happen!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1484009883' post='3211989']
He used to post here. . . until the knuckle draggers chased him away.
[/quote]
[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1484030784' post='3212007']
But he is up his own arse...
[/quote]

Which is why this is only the 2nd time in about a month that I've visited this site.

Edited by ambient

I remember it different.

I joined BC not long before he left - My memory of it is him reacting and taking offence to the slightest question of his viewpoint or opinion.

Admittedly, I think some BC members spotted this and wound him up further, but I remember thinking he had brought a lot of it on himself.

Maybe it was because I didn't really know who he was at the time, but then again I'm not one for speaking any different to the "stars" than the person next to me. (EDIT: Unless it is Gwen Dickey, who I will admit made me go all weak at the knees when I met her due to a youthful crush - I wasn't proud of myself afterwards).

Edited by Huge Hands

Ah! The great Gwizdala war of '08 and '09.

Not the forum's finest moment though, as Mr Huge Hands accurately opines above, Mr G had a tendency to respond somewhat - shall we say, [i]robustly[/i] - to observations with which he did not concur, one of these being a lingering doubt in some minds that the undoubtedly talented bass maven could, as he professed in a column, practice for ten hours a day and play semi-quavers at 400bpm.

Once it became clear that Mr Gwizdala was prey to a somewhat agitated posting style some of our number (Beefy, Waldo and other reprobates who shall not be named ) took the opportunity to push his buttons. The outcome was that the fleet-fingered stylist very visibly took his business elsewhere on at least two occasions.

I cannot deny that I may accidentally have exacerbated matters the second time round when I misunderstood the nature of Mr Gwizdala's relationship with BGM and made what I genuinely believed to be certain helpful suggestions, subsequent to which the musically-gifted sporter of Foderas formally handed in his ticket and hoyed himself back to Talkbass where I suppose he prospers to this day.

While the 'knuckle-draggers' may have stoked tensions I must therefore admit to having been the last person to see the victim alive, so to speak. That said, our glorious and handsome leader Ped may have left his dabs on the matter after an in-person meeting with the bass luminary which ended in a welter of confusion about a matter of bodily fluids.

[color=#ffffe0].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1484120021' post='3212762']
I have first hand experience of Mr Gwizdala. Do you? Thanks for the apology.
[/quote]
[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1484054712' post='3212237']
I've met him a few times, he was a visiting tutor at my uni. He was a really nice guy, always had time to talk and take questions. An immense talent too.

Maybe people in real life are different to their online personae ?
[/quote]

[quote name='Crawford13' timestamp='1484073001' post='3212474']
...I just wanted to bring one of my favourite musicians and a dude that I thought a lot of this community would like over to the UK for a solo gig!
[/quote]

I don't think you've done anything wrong and I'm sure a lot of the forum members would/will probably support you on it. I just personally thought that Chris' "knuckle draggers" comment and the inferences to "this is the problem with this forum" were a bit one-sided and unfair from my recollection of what went on in that period.

I'd happily vote to see Sean (BBC) back on here any day, even if a lot of his posts made me wince. Most ended up making me spit my tea all over the screen laughing! (P.S. Mods - no need to explain, I understand why you wouldn't be able to allow him back).

"Knuckle draggers" might be a little harsh on some, maybe not on others, but saying, "They (Janek etc) bought it on themselves", isn't good enough.

When people are baited and goaded it is unnecessary and looks bad on Basschat. From Janek, through Guy Pratt and Vail Johnson down to JTUK. At the end of the day the whole forum looses.

It is unpleasant to experience and unpleasant to watch. The Mods should crack down, but they don't. It is what it is, but more respect is needed for different ideas, approaches and opinions.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1484130683' post='3212844']
.... but more respect is needed for different ideas, approaches and opinions.
[/quote]

...but that was what I thought was [i]his[/i] (Janek's) problem. Sure, he may have been finding new and innovative ways to play the bass, but, as I remember it, he would flare up at the slightest question of his own views, opinions and claims.

I don't think that getting angry and stroppy at people because they won't accept you're right is any better than goading.

Like I said I thought he brought "most" of it on himself, but do acknowledge that a part of the forum also pushed his buttons to wind him up. I was saying there was blame on both sides, in my opinion.

I was too late for the Guy Pratt saga, and could never find it in any searches, so can't comment on that.