Why become a member? ×

New Zoom B3n multi effect

Mudpup

just spotted this.......

[url="https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:qXHxz0I1a3oJ:https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/guitar-bass-effects/bass/zoom-b3n-multi-effects-processor-bass+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us"]Zoom B3n Multi-Effects Processor for Bass[/url]

looks fun, wonder how much it'll be?

Edited by Mudpup

No xlr out and only a single page of settings (4 parameters) per effect it would seem, and that's just from a cursory glance. DEFINITELY Not an upgrade in my book. Not saying it won't be good though!

Edit: only 5 amp models...

Guitar version is £140ish

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1483997015' post='3211883']
No xlr out and only a single page of settings (4 parameters) per effect it would seem, and that's just from a cursory glance. DEFINITELY Not an upgrade in my book. Not saying it won't be good though!

Edit: only 5 amp models...

Guitar version is £140ish
[/quote]

Our American equivalent site seems to think that further amp models will be available as downloads via the new software suite and also that the 3 screens will replace the 3 tabs of settings on one screen (did that make sense???)

looks like you can scroll through the list of parameters so can be more than four per effect and it looks like its just an updated b3 so software will be the same and there is an aux in which the b3 doesnt have but it doesnt look like it can be battery powered either. the extra pedal buttons might make it easier to change patches too and no xlr connecter which was on the b3

Aye the no xlr for use as a di box type affair is a bit of a drawback. And i assume that there will be dlc as it were in terms of further effects and models as otherwise its not quite an upgrade on the existing b3 (which i love).

But on the positive side, 7 effects is great, freeing up noise gates and amp/ pre amp models and still having five effects to play with, presumably easier to swop between banks. Also 32bit processor and 24bit audio aren't shabby. Can't remember off hand what the b3 has under its hood though.

Will be interested to read the first reviews on this when it comes out, definitely interested!

[quote name='DangerDan' timestamp='1484000891' post='3211928']
Also 32bit processor and 24bit audio aren't shabby. Can't remember off hand what the b3 has under its hood though.

[/quote]

It's the same.

Although I generally don't use the DI on my B3, it's nice to know it's there as a backup...

[quote name='King Tut' timestamp='1484036006' post='3212031']
No tap tempo button either. Coupled with the lack of Di out makes me think I won't be upgrading
[/quote]

Scrub that re the tap tempo . . . Just read th specs. Looks deeper front to back than the b3. Just started using mine with other pedals in a boss case so still think I'll stick!

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1484033373' post='3212022']

It's the same.

Although I generally don't use the DI on my B3, it's nice to know it's there as a backup...
[/quote]

Ahh sweet, cheers for checking. Interesting that it got no extra power but can run an extra four effects at the same time. Guess they made it more efficient.

I havn't used the di on mine either, but i know that people do, not a deal breaker for me either, but nice to have as you say.

Does the guitar version have a di out on it? Could there be a 'deluxe' version as it were?

Will def try one of these when i can get my hands on one, just undecided as to whether i will actually replace the b3 with it.

Link was dead for me, but [url="https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:qXHxz0I1a3oJ:https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/guitar-bass-effects/bass/zoom-b3n-multi-effects-processor-bass+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk"]here is a cached version[/url].

7 ~effects at once is cool. Still dont think id swap my MS60b for it. Ill wait until zoom brings out a multieffects that can sync to midi.

Having read [url="https://gear-otaku.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/zoom-b3n-bass-multi-effect.html"]https://gear-otaku.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/zoom-b3n-bass-multi-effect.html[/url] (I love Google Translate), presumably access has been suspended until the official announcement in two days time at NAMM.

I have a b3 (not this new one) and love it.

I love the b3 layout though - where it looks like each individual pedal and controls. Im not too sure about the new ones layout.

A 7 screen one (if its using 7 combined effects) would be brilliant, 3 might be a bit confusing?

All that said, if youre looking for a multi effects at a great price, these will be great!

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1484662387' post='3217256']
Having read [url="https://gear-otaku.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/zoom-b3n-bass-multi-effect.html"]https://gear-otaku.b...lti-effect.html[/url] (I love Google Translate), presumably access has been suspended until the official announcement in two days time at NAMM.
[/quote]

Yup.

I can see a way of doing DI on it, if DI was the only output you wanted and you didn't mind losing one effect slot. The Left/Mono output is also a headphone output, so if the final effect inverted the left output and sent it to the right side (and applied gain of about 4x to bring the signal from 150-200mV P-P to 600-1000mV P-P), you'd just need a stereo jack to XLR lead.

Edited by tauzero

• 1 month later...

Apparently now on sale with Thomann UK for £167, but they won't have in stock until 24 March. Anyone managed to land their hands on one yet?

My sense is that this will be nice compromise between the cheep and cheerful Zoom MS 60B (£75 - GAK) and the more high end Line 6 Pod hd500x (around £400) and should be a direct competitor to the much older Boss ME-50B (£250) which has been doing the rounds since 2005!! (And such longevity is a real testament to the quality and gigability of the ME-50B).

Do folk agree with that assessment of the positioning of the Zoom B3n?

elephantgrey - I note you are not tempted to upgrade your Zoom MS 60B for the B3n? Must admit, I very much am thinking of doing so with mine - I suspect the B3n will be a much more stage friendly device than the MS 60B?

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1487933796' post='3244255']
Apparently now on sale with Thomann UK for £167, but they won't have in stock until 24 March. Anyone managed to land their hands on one yet?

My sense is that this will be nice compromise between the cheep and cheerful Zoom MS 60B (£75 - GAK) and the more high end Line 6 Pod hd500x (around £400) and should be a direct competitor to the much older Boss ME-50B (£250) which has been doing the rounds since 2005!! (And such longevity is a real testament to the quality and gigability of the ME-50B).

Do folk agree with that assessment of the positioning of the Zoom B3n?

elephantgrey - I note you are not tempted to upgrade your Zoom MS 60B for the B3n? Must admit, I very much am thinking of doing so with mine - I suspect the B3n will be a much more stage friendly device than the MS 60B?
[/quote]

I'm certainly interested to see how this new one goes down with people. I've been using an MS60B for the past 18 months and it is a great pedal. Top notch build quality and effects that are very usable and easy to operate. The octaver in particular is really nice as are some of the amp sims. Saying that, I've been seriously thinking about upgrading to it's big brother, the B3, given it offers so much more live functionality with the three pedals in play and the DI connection.

Really interested to see how this new one matches up with the older B3 model.

Also, as to the Line-6 HD500X, I have to say I think the zoom does a better sound for the most part. The guitarist in my band picked up the L6 board a few months back because he had it in his head he wanted to do some kind of daft bi-amping wall of sound thing. So far I find the thing sounds pretty nasty. It's not bad at bedroom levels but once you get it up to volume it just sounds brittle and harsh to my ears. Putting it side by side with a real valve head the other week the difference was night and day.

I tried it with the bass too and again, reasonable sounds at modest volume but just nothing I would think was worth the money once you get to gig volumes. I'm not talking insanely loud either, just on part with a cranked 15-watt Vox guitar amp going into a 412.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1484833710' post='3218899']
I can see a way of doing DI on it, if DI was the only output you wanted and you didn't mind losing one effect slot. The Left/Mono output is also a headphone output, so if the final effect inverted the left output and sent it to the right side (and applied gain of about 4x to bring the signal from 150-200mV P-P to 600-1000mV P-P), you'd just need a stereo jack to XLR lead.
[/quote]

Wouldn't this result in an unbalanced signal? I think you'd want DI to be balanced.

I've had both the Zoom B3 & the POD HD500x, I must say that the HD is absolutely superb, great sounds, loads of choice with effects and options. The B3 was good, but the HD is brilliant. It takes time to set up, but well worth taking the time to set up.

The upside of the new Zoom B3n coming out, is the fact that there should be some very good deals on the B3.

[quote name='jrixn1' timestamp='1487950564' post='3244499']
Wouldn't this result in an unbalanced signal? I think you'd want DI to be balanced.
[/quote]

No, it would be unbalanced if you just used one output. Inverting the other output and driving the other side with the inverted signal produces a balanced output. However, it would require Zoom to produce a DI effect for just that purpose.

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1487967280' post='3244735']
I've had both the Zoom B3 & the POD HD500x, I must say that the HD is absolutely superb, great sounds, loads of choice with effects and options. The B3 was good, but the HD is brilliant. It takes time to set up, but well worth taking the time to set up.

The upside of the new Zoom B3n coming out, is the fact that there should be some very good deals on the B3.
[/quote]

+1 on the POD HD500x. The modelling is excellent. Whilst the Zoom is good, the POD is in a different league. - you do need the bass expansion pack though.