Why become a member? ×

Rig advice please

jonno1981

Hi all,

Rig advice please!

I'm looking to downsize my current setup (well gigged schroeder 410l and nearly new sansamp vt500 head) to something a bit smaller. Tone wise I run it with the front end pushed really hard with Sansamp/Darkglass/Trex pre-amp/ overdrive before it gets to the amp. I don't have hugely diverse requirements as I currently only play in 1 project. I'm looking for something that takes up less footprint than a 4x10 so maybe a vertical 2x10 type design?

Looking around I've spotted the Ampeg ba210 which you can pick up for around £500 but I don't know about other options. There are some new designs from Ashdown and Laney which I've never seen or tried.
Alternatively I could just downsize the cab and keep the head but I'm not sure!

All ideas considered!

It really depends on the sort of volume you're looking to make. The Markbass 2x10 was exceptionally loud for a single 2x10 & it was more than ample at the venues I played at the time. I can't say the same for other 2x10s as I haven't compared them, but the MB was louder & cleaner than the Trace Elliot 4x10 I had before it & cleaner than the Marshall 2x15 that I had before that.
If you're needing more volume, you can always add a 2nd 2x10 as a 4x10 column.
If you do need the volume from a single cab, then I'd listen to the good chaps above & try some 2x12 cabs.

Having owned a few Schroeder cabs - tho not the exact one you have, I've had smaller ones - if you're playing loud through it, then I can't think of a single 210 which will perform at the same SPLs. If you're not pushing the volume levels really, really high, then yeah, a good 212 or a couple of good 112s will do it. My Bergs and previous BF cabs would do it, certainly. Tone is another matter entirely: Schroeders have a strong character, a different maker/format will take a bit of re-EQing...but then that's half the fun :)

[quote name='jonno1981' timestamp='1484082150' post='3212581']
Thanks for the valuable advice all. I'll do some measuring. I appreciate the only way to downsize a little bit without a huge compromise in tone is to go 2x12 or 2 x 1x12. Key is to have a smaller footprint.
[/quote]
If it's only a smaller footprint & height isn't an issue, then 2 2x10s will give you similar volumes to your 4x10.
I say similar as there's factors to consider such as what the drivers are & the cab design, so it could be louder or quieter depending on those. E.G. Markbass 2x10 STD is a bigger sounding cab than the 2x10 Traveller solely due to the fact that the STD is quite a large cab (stood vertically, it's probably only a few inches narrower than a 4x10).
I'd try as many rigs as you can & see what suits your needs.