#1 Jimryan

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • Interests:Bass, Beer, brewing and Zelda

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:45 PM

Evening all,

For a while I've been using one of Ben Bastin's wooden endpins and love it. Great tonal improvement and having the height set and dictated to me every time I set up to play is great. After removing the existing endpin and setting off for the bus with my bass I noticed something. The endpin socket sits proud of my gigbag and every time I put the bass down, be it at the bus stop on slabs or on tarmac to cross the road, the endpin socket scrapes on the floor and scuffs the timber around the socket opening.

For a while I had been planning to find a solution, but never got around to it...until...over the Christmas period and all the family meet ups. Sat down at a gathering and started chatting to Mrs Jimryan's uncle. For a while I'd known about his company for a while but never put two and two together. He runs a precision engineering company, lots of metal turning and the likes and that's when I had an idea. After getting home I made up a drawing, after taking some measurements from my Bastin endpin, sent them off to him and the other day I was presented with...

Posted Image
Posted Image

No more risk of scuffing or burring my endpin socket and also a handy little travel endpin.

Cheers,

James
Proud to be involved in THE Bass Relay ....Bassists raising money for Cancer Research UK! ...Map of Honour

Follow the Bass Relay on Facebook ......... ....Follow the Bass Relay on Twitter .... ... ..... Donate at Just Giving

Feedback - http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1

#2 philparker

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Interests:Classical guitar; cycling; photography; live music; camping/outdoors; all things bass and double bass!

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:51 PM

That looks great - I just use my old end pin?!

#3 bassace

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:02 AM

I use a coach screw with a nut screwed right up to the head to provide a bit of stand off.
THE BASS RACK
Paul Bryant 3/4 Solo DB
Thomas Martin 3/4 Solo DB
Unknown German Blonde Lami DB
Kolstein Travel Bass

THE AMP WAREHOUSE
AI Clarus 2R - Mk4
2-TecAmp Puma 500
Big E 4x5 Cab
Crazy 8 Cab
EA 12" Wizzy
EA 10" Wizzy
Genz Benz STL 3.0-10T
Roland SuperCube-60
Barefaced Retro One10 Cab
Felix and FDeck preamps
Pickups by Underwood, Fishman FS and David Gage
Leads by OBBM

#4 Lazurus

No longer a newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:I wanna slap like the others do!

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:20 AM

Simple project for your local woodturner, a nice hardwood stopper!
Raw beginner and late starter!

#5 neilp

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 10:30 AM

I use Ben's lovely endpins too. I have two slightly different lengths to cover all situations. I use the old carbon endpin when travelling for the reasons you mentioned, but also because it has a rubber foot. If you're going to make a plug, I'd strongly recommend a rubber foot to protect the tailpiece and bottom block from shocks and save your self potentially VERY expensive problems in the future.
Basses: 1980 Aria SB1000, Wal Custom Fretless, Squier Jazz VM fretless, Cort B4FL fretless, 1850 (ish) Mittenwald German double bass

Amp: GK MB112 GK MBP115
GK Backline 600 410BLX

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users