Why become a member? ×

Recordings that give you goosebumps

Grangur

Searching for something to answer a question on another thread I found this recording. I'd never heard of this young lady and I was amazed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw7e_qvPgks

The clarity of her voice is knockout.

What gives you goosebumps?

Funny enough, more likely on the same hunt, same tune, I ran into this....
EDIT: It didn't give me goosebumps, so maybe I should not have posted, but to me, it was an excellent vocal performance. :D
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTMYx0afWTA[/media]

Edited by lowdown

I remember standing in the old Wembley Stadium, watching Simon and Garfunkel playing "Sound of Silence".

Man, when that dark day comes that we say our fond farewell to Mr Simon. I know I'm going to cry buckets for someone I never met, for the first time in my life. Assuming I'm fortunate enough to still be here.

(Note to self: stop being sloppy!! Pull yourself together, man!)

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1484050790' post='3212189']
What gives you goosebumps?
[/quote]

Colliding with a low flying flock of Geese usually does it for me.

In the true spirit of the question however I am getting major bumpage from listening to some of my favourites released in lossless 5.1 formats. David Bowie's Young Americans for example benefits from the greater separation in that I hear lots of extra details that were always there but never really heard before. Roxy Music's Avalon is a stunner in any format but seriously good in surround. Dire Straights' Private Investigations' title track raises hairs on my goose bumps.

I could go on.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1484053815' post='3212222']
I remember standing in the old Wembley Stadium, watching Simon and Garfunkel playing "Sound of Silence".

Man, when that dark day comes that we say our fond farewell to Mr Simon. I know I'm going to cry buckets for someone I never met, for the first time in my life. Assuming I'm fortunate enough to still be here.

(Note to self: stop being sloppy!! Pull yourself together, man!)
[/quote]

Was that by any chance in 81/82? The same tour as the Concert in Central Park album? If so, I was there too. What a night.

I saw him about 5 years ago, just as he'd turned 70, I think. Still very excellent.

Edited by SICbass

Jimi Hendrix "All Along the Watchtower" does it for me - its one of the most atmospheric sounding recordings ever.

Mark Knopfler's "Sailing to Philadelphia" is up there for spine-tingling, tasteful, sparse playing.

On the other end of the scale, Queen's "The Show Must Go On" gives me shivers - such a great vocal performance, especially knowing he's dying.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1484054653' post='3212235']... David Bowie's Young Americans for example benefits from the greater separation in that I hear lots of extra details that were always there but never really heard before. Roxy Music's Avalon is a stunner in any format but seriously good in surround. Dire Straights' Private Investigations' title track raises hairs on my goose bumps.

I could go on.
[/quote]

And Telegraph Road.
Elton John, Funeral for a friend and love lies bleeding.

[quote name='SICbass' timestamp='1484055787' post='3212251']

Was that by any chance in 81/82? The same tour as the Concert in Central Park album? If so, I was there too. What a night.

I saw him about 5 years ago, just as he'd turned 70, I think. Still very excellent.
[/quote]
The very same. Great night. I watched them while standing next to Jonathan King; back in the days when you didn't know any better!

Good thread!

The intro guitar part to this always has the goose bump effect on me.

http://youtu.be/iIluBvQ77Bk

And on a complete and random tangent so does the string part at 2.45 in this. I remember it being on the radio in the car and the hairs on the back of my neck standing up, I'm not even a massive fan of the rest of the song. Strange. Sugababes on basschat, whatever next.

http://youtu.be/wo07t6XjNO4

Aaron Copland: Fanfare For The Common Man.
Been done to death over the years and at times, sounding like a funeral march.
As one YouTube poster said. "If this don't give you Goosebumps, you must be dead".....
Just an opinion of course.

This is a particularly good performance.
http://youtu.be/0KxMc_tyQBo