Putting a badge on to double the price? Fodera P & J

48 replies to this topic

#1 five-string.co.uk

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:47 PM

Yes, I'm sure Fodera has done the market research to suggest that there will be some people who'll spend $4,000 on a well-built passive P or J.

However, I cannot help but thinking there has to be a limit to what a brand / name does to persuade people to spend their money.

http://www.notreble....classic-basses/

What are your thoughts?

Greg

Professor of Bass Guitar at the Royal Marines School of Music

Associate Lecturer (Bass Guitar) - Southampton Solent University

Lecturer (Composition) - Peter Symonds College

www.gregmudd.co.uk

Feedback Thread: http://basschat.co.u...ive-stringcouk/

#2 markstuk

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts
  • Interests:Bass, Keyboards, Motorcycling, Shooting, Reading and Gliding

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:51 PM

They're Fender inspired so why not do the same with pricing? :-)
Banburyshire

Dingwall ABZ5 Natural with John East P-retro - 4326 (DOB 27th of July 2010).. Custom Jazz 5/J-retro/big singles Dingwall Z3 - 4589 - DOB 28/12/2011

TC RH750 / Glockenklang Heart Rock II

Barefaced Super Twelve T/Tecamp 810/Barefaced Gen 1 Compact

Yamaha CP300/Roland AX-Synth

Basschat Feedback

Ebay Feedback (900 odd/100%)

#3 five-string.co.uk

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:56 PM

View Postmarkstuk, on 10 January 2017 - 03:51 PM, said:

They're Fender inspired so why not do the same with pricing? :-)

An equivalent Fender in terms of wood, and features is less than half-price

www.gregmudd.co.uk

#4 markstuk

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:59 PM

I'm sure Fodera would argue quite strongly that they're at custom shop level. The point I was trying to make is that you can get a better bass (not Fodera) for half the price of a current (especially with the recent price hikes) MIA fender.

Edited by markstuk, 10 January 2017 - 03:59 PM.

Banburyshire

Dingwall ABZ5 Natural with John East P-retro - 4326 (DOB 27th of July 2010).. Custom Jazz 5/J-retro/big singles Dingwall Z3 - 4589 - DOB 28/12/2011

Basschat Feedback

#5 five-string.co.uk

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:59 PM

I really like Scott's comment at the bottom of the page.....

"I was waiting for the price to drop on these: 4K for a passive j or p bass with very little customisation has me going all kinds of "ehhhhh", considering you're in sadowsky NYC territory price wise. And leaving you space for a preamp is kind of like selling a Lamborghini with a big gap in the engine bay where the turbo would go. Man, drop the price by 2k, and outsource the labour to Japan, Ken Smith style. People can still "have" a fodera of company monitored quality. I think we all put the brand up on a bit of a pedestal, and this line feels like it's taking the piss a bit"

www.gregmudd.co.uk

#6 markstuk

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:01 PM

No one is forced to buy one... I certainly won't be buying a Fodera of any kind.. A sadowsky perhaps... ;)
Banburyshire

Basschat Feedback

#7 five-string.co.uk

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:03 PM

View Postmarkstuk, on 10 January 2017 - 03:59 PM, said:

I'm sure Fodera would argue quite strongly that they're at custom shop level. The point I was trying to make is that you can get a better bass (not Fodera) for half the price of a current (especially with the recent price hikes) MIA fender.

Sure, I appreciate they would argue that, but as it says: "built in batch with limited options to keep costs and wait time to a minimum".

I'm not having a dig at Fodera, moreso curious to what type of person would be attracted to spending their money on these - when the market place offers so much more for a LOT less.

Edited by five-string.co.uk, 10 January 2017 - 04:45 PM.

www.gregmudd.co.uk

#8 Cato

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:49 PM

It's a very pretty bass , although the headstock doesn't really work for me, but 4k for a passive VVT Jazz?

That'd buy you something very special indeed, custom built to your own spec, from a master luthier.

Edited by Cato, 10 January 2017 - 07:07 PM.

#9 prowla

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:11 PM

View Postfive-string.co.uk, on 10 January 2017 - 03:59 PM, said:

I really like Scott's comment at the bottom of the page.....

"I was waiting for the price to drop on these: 4K for a passive j or p bass with very little customisation has me going all kinds of "ehhhhh", considering you're in sadowsky NYC territory price wise. And leaving you space for a preamp is kind of like selling a Lamborghini with a big gap in the engine bay where the turbo would go. Man, drop the price by 2k, and outsource the labour to Japan, Ken Smith style. People can still "have" a fodera of company monitored quality. I think we all put the brand up on a bit of a pedestal, and this line feels like it's taking the piss a bit"

Following the car metaphor, to me these super P/Js are like buying a Lambo with a Ford body.

#10 molan

Beyond hope

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,202 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:43 PM

A lot of these will end up in the hands of gigging pros in the USA. It's a very different market over there compared to here with a much larger pool of pro gigs available.

At that level the additional cost is pretty small compared to potential income from gigging.

One decent gig would cover the cost premium over an alternative high end J or P.

Partner at www.bassgear.co.uk - subjective comments made here on BC are purely personal views as a gigging bassist!

My Feedback

#11 bubinga5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 6,503 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:24 PM

Its a really lovely bass, and i have to say i love the look.. sexy Jazz Bass. but Fodera price there basses on there name. Its a Fodera, and they know it. You just know its gonna feel awesome though.

Edited by bubinga5, 10 January 2017 - 11:38 PM.

Aguilar AG 500
Aguilar GS 212
Maruszczyk 5 string Jazz Bass
Mac Pro, Logic Pro
Yamaha P35
Yamaha CLP Clavinova
Presonus, soundcard.
M Audio
Some Groove

My conscious mind is a friend, forever growing with me. My sub-conscious mind is the stranger who teaches my friend who I am.

#12 Grahambythesea

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:31 PM

I think the design is hideous, looks like a really cheap model that's avoiding getting sued by fender.

#13 Sibob

Beyond hope

• Global Moderators
  • 6,104 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:24 AM

Yet of course many people would spend the same money on an old Fender, same construction (although even Fenders then weren't hand-carved like Foderas are). Yes you might have some added 'mojo' or providence, but that's not important to everyone.

If you went for a Masterbuilt Fender, you'd be in the same price territory.
If you went for a Sadowsky NYC Ultra Vintage, you'd be in the same price territory.

So it comes down to what sounds and feels best to you......are you really going to not spend that (assuming you have it spare) just because you could spend less on an instrument that might not feel/sound as good?

FWIW, I'm less excited about the Emporer J, but the Monarch P sounds supreme to my ears!

Si

BassChat Terms and Conditions

Instagram/Twitter: @SimonRPoulton | Blog (Bassist Interviews etc)

#14 Kiwi

Big and bouncy

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,555 posts
  • Location:Wherever I lay my hat...was London, now Changsha, China.
  • Interests:DIY dentishtry. Competitive throat clearing, road raging at Chinese drivers.

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:19 AM

View Postfive-string.co.uk, on 10 January 2017 - 03:47 PM, said:

What are your thoughts?

Greg

I spoke with them at the BGM about pricing generally. They only make 10% profit on each instrument because they throw away huge amounts of wood from the stuff they buy up in bulk and they provide a lot of benefits for their employees. It's also not cheap to run a business in central New York.

Having said that, in terms of these basses, there are loads out there around and above this price mark with a similar spec...Avella Coppolo, Sadowsky, Celinder to name but a few.

I think the cost of instruments has sky rocketed in the last 10 years - perhaps due to the poor value of the £ these days and no discernable increase in wages due to the impact of redundancies after the recession on the availability of labour. Anyway, I started to learn how to make my own and haven't looked back.
Bass: Self built 5-string semi hollow headless, '79 Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, '86 Pangborn Warlord graphite, '93 Pedulla Pentabuzz, '09 Shuker Headless 6 MIDI (signed by Lee Sklar, Doug Wimbish and Billy Sheehan),'00 Spector NS5CR, '90 Status Series 1 5 string.
Backline: EBS Microbass, Future Impact, Zoom B3 into two Genz Benz Shuttle 6's and two fEARful F112 cabs, two Burman Pro4000HD 140w valve heads, Trace Elliot Hexavalve
Guitar: Alan Knight 'Hitmaker' tribute, Chandler Custom HSS Strat (signed by Nile Rodgers), Klein replica with sustainer, Yamaha MSG Deluxe Mk 1, Yamaha MSG Deluxe Mk 2
Backline: Amptweaker Tight Rock, Joyo JF14 American Sound, Burman GX3 preamp, Zoom G3X, Lexicon MPXG2 + R1 foot controller, Ibanez TSA5 x2 and Burman Pro 501 50w combo.
Studio: Yamaha CS6R synth module, Axon AX100 pitch to MIDI, Lexicon MPXG2 and MIDIman 16ch mixer, Ableton Live

#15 chris_b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,612 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:54 AM

So a handmade bass should be the same price as a production line bass because the shape is vaguely similar?

A Bentley is basically the same as a Skoda so why is there such a price difference?
Lull~Lakland~Fender~Aguilar~Thunderfunk~Barefaced~obbm~Wolfcraft

People think I'm getting old! Watch out, I'm just getting started!

#16 Raggy

Technique somewhat lacking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Location:The Peoples Republic of Wiltshire. Swinetown Division.

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:59 AM

Look a bit tacky to me.
Shuker JJ No. 39 P Bass > GK2001RB > Barefaced Dubster

My Feedback

#17 Lw.

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Interests:Basses & Bikes.

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:09 AM

I really don't see the problem - whilst 4k is a lot for some, it's not actually that much for others. The market is very densely packed in the lower price brackets so why shouldn't they aim for the high earners?

Yes they could outsource to the East & monitor it but then you wouldn't be getting a real Fodera, you'd be getting a generic knock-off with an expensive brand stuck on the headstock - I think this would be worse than paying the high fee for the US one. Wages in the US are [generally] high, rent where their factory is comparatively high so it makes sense for the basses to be moderately pricey too.

As we've seen from Blue's posts - there are lots of musicians over there doing 4 hour sets multiple times a week, paying 4k for a solid tool that is going to have to work for a lot of hours seems reasonable to me - if you don't like it, don't buy it there are plenty of cheaper alternatives available.

Having said that - the red one in that link looks horrible, though I assume it plays nicely, I wouldn't buy one purely on the look of the thing. I did quite like that P they released last year though.

Edited by Lw., 11 January 2017 - 10:10 AM.

P - J - Corvette

VERSUS URSUS

#18 ahpook

Just a $30 Reverend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,001 posts
  • Interests:Leading the campaign for Unreal Rock.

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:16 AM

People will pay a lot of money for brands they feel they have an affinity for.

#19 markdavid

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Interests:Bass Playing, Music , Spicy Foodstuffs , Real Ale , Classic Fenders

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:22 PM

View Postfive-string.co.uk, on 10 January 2017 - 03:47 PM, said:

Yes, I'm sure Fodera has done the market research to suggest that there will be some people who'll spend $4,000 on a well-built passive P or J.

However, I cannot help but thinking there has to be a limit to what a brand / name does to persuade people to spend their money.

http://www.notreble....classic-basses/

What are your thoughts?

Greg

I agree, for the money I would expect more , they are asking 4k for a bass that has vvt passive electronics, truss rod access at the body end, a bolt on neck, no fancy tonewoods either on this just plain old Ash or Alder (nothing wrong with either of those woods but on a 4k bass you would expect more options) and then "Fodera builds in the control cavity to allow for modding it to a preamp in the future" , yeah because I really want to spend that kind of money to end up modding the bass in the future, not too mention the generic looks that bring to mind the Peavey Milestone basses and the Ibanez Expressionist bass
http://markdavideaston.blogspot.com/ Dark Poetry and Prose

#20 Truckstop

St. Albans Ibanez Blazer Fanclub President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts
  • Interests:Heavily into Mk1 and Mk2 Skoda Felicias. Got one? Would love to hear about it!

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:36 PM

About 2.5k, then? (Plus another few hundred to get it sent to the UK?) I think the Monarch P looks gorgeous and, if I had the money, would gladly buy one.

I would definitely rather spend the cash on this, a new instrument of the highest quality, than a 40-50 year old piece of crap that should really be put in the bin. I wouldn't buy anything with failing frets, failing electronics, failing and rusting hardware, flaking paintwork, and very ordinary construction.

My gear:

Yamaha BB424x

Fender Rumble (v3) 100

Proud user and rabid endorser of FM Cables (http://www.fmcables.com/)

#21 Graham

Four strings good, five strings better

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:48 PM

View PostTruckstop, on 11 January 2017 - 01:36 PM, said:

About £2.5k, then? (Plus another few hundred to get it sent to the UK?) I think the Monarch P looks gorgeous and, if I had the money, would gladly buy one.

I would definitely rather spend the cash on this, a new instrument of the highest quality, than a 40-50 year old piece of crap that should really be put in the bin. I wouldn't buy anything with failing frets, failing electronics, failing and rusting hardware, flaking paintwork, and very ordinary construction.

At today's exchange rate, $4k = £3302.78

Plus say $150.00 shipping

$4150, = £3302.78

+3.7% import duty = £3424.983

+ 20% VAT = £4109.98
Basses by G&L USA and Tribute
Amps and cabs by Gallien-Krueger and EBS
D'addario strings, Cleartone cables

Experienced bassist available for session / dep work in the Sussex, Surrey and Kent area:
http://www.facebook....GrahamSmithBass

Bassist for Naked Bass - party covers for weddings, parties and corporate events
www.nakedbass.co.uk

#22 Truckstop

St. Albans Ibanez Blazer Fanclub President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts
  • Interests:Heavily into Mk1 and Mk2 Skoda Felicias. Got one? Would love to hear about it!

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:58 PM

Cripes, maybe that is a bit too expensive after all!

My gear:

Yamaha BB424x

Fender Rumble (v3) 100

Proud user and rabid endorser of FM Cables (http://www.fmcables.com/)

#23 Grangur

Bahh Humbug!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:09 PM

View Postfive-string.co.uk, on 10 January 2017 - 03:56 PM, said:

An equivalent Fender in terms of wood, and features is less than half-price

Bentley, Ford, Maserati, Opal.... well they're all made from the same materials aren't they?

Ok, that is a bit extreme, but engineering must count for some of the price difference.

I still don't see me buying one.

Edited by Grangur, 11 January 2017 - 02:10 PM.

See my feedback

#24 five-string.co.uk

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:19 PM

View PostGrangur, on 11 January 2017 - 02:09 PM, said:

Bentley, Ford, Maserati, Opal.... well they're all made from the same materials aren't they?

Ok, that is a bit extreme, but engineering must count for some of the price difference.

I still don't see me buying one.

I guess that's the point. If the materials are the same, and the consequential sound is aimed at representing a 'P' or 'J' sound, then essentially Fodera are stating that their engineering skills, brand and style = justification of price. Without trying one I couldn't commit to an opinion, but I'd probably not buy one either!

www.gregmudd.co.uk

#25 Grangur

Bahh Humbug!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:05 PM

View Postfive-string.co.uk, on 11 January 2017 - 09:19 PM, said:

I guess that's the point. If the materials are the same, and the consequential sound is aimed at representing a 'P' or 'J' sound, then essentially Fodera are stating that their engineering skills, brand and style = justification of price. Without trying one I couldn't commit to an opinion, but I'd probably not buy one either!

Well, to continue the car analogy, why would you buy a Bentley that's doing it's best to look like a Ford?
Or maybe that's the sob in me?
See my feedback

#26 ZilchWoolham

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:04 AM

I can't imagine spending that much for any bass, really, but I'd certainly expect something a bit less standardised for that price. And I have to say, the body shape reminds me of something you'd get from a mildly inventive budget brand.

Nice to hear they treat their workers well, though. That's certainly a factor I would weigh in when determining whether or not to pay a bit extra for a certain piece of kit.

Edited by ZilchWoolham, 12 January 2017 - 12:08 AM.

#27 Sibob

Beyond hope

• Global Moderators
  • 6,104 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:17 AM

In any case, I think their target market are Fodera players (of which there a great many who happily spend the money), who want a P bass by Fodera. Not necessarily a player who isn't already 'in the fold' who's after a P bass.

Si

BassChat Terms and Conditions

Instagram/Twitter: @SimonRPoulton | Blog (Bassist Interviews etc)

#28 Paulhauser

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:57 AM

View PostSibob, on 12 January 2017 - 12:17 AM, said:

In any case, I think their target market are Fodera players (of which there a great many who happily spend the money), who want a P bass by Fodera. Not necessarily a player who isn't already 'in the fold' who's after a P bass.

^^This
Spector Ibanez
EBS Prolude

http://basschat.co.u...for-paulhauser/

#29 Grangur

Bahh Humbug!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:16 AM

I'm not saying this would be THE bass for me, but if they do:
5 string version of this,
19mm spacing,
45mm nut
sings with the clarity of a Warwick,
Weight of 4-4.5Kg
Empty pre-amp cavity
Right looks (and the blue version looks good to me.

I'll place my order today. I could sell most of my collection. It would save space, I'd free up some money and I'd enjoy looking into pre-amps to go in there rather paying for and then putting up with what the manufacturers give you.
See my feedback

#30 Grangur

Bahh Humbug!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:31 AM

View PostTruckstop, on 11 January 2017 - 01:36 PM, said:

About 2.5k, then? (Plus another few hundred to get it sent to the UK?) I think the Monarch P looks gorgeous and, if I had the money, would gladly buy one.

You missed out saying that the ones in good condition have possibly spent years in a cupboard because the owner couldn't get on with it and didn't like it, but simply didn't need to move it on.
See my feedback

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users