Why become a member? ×

Thoughts on Olympic white over sunburst?

The-Ox

Got a nitro sunburst body with rosewood neck, but kind of want it olympic white, what are your thoughts on a refin over it in olympic white, but with some sunburst seeping through? Reckon its best to get the whole finish done olympic white and let the guitar wear naturally to allow sunburst through? Or do a sort of ''over sunburst'' finish?

The pickguard is currently tort, would replace that with a white pickguard. Just want opinions and if anyone has any decent pictures!

One thing I forgot to mention, and I hope its not sacrilege to say, but it is in fact a Strat I'm getting this done to, not a bass :)

Cheers

it does look good I must admit! I like Gilmour's white on white Strat which got me wanting the refin job. The problem is I like sunburst and I also like olympic white, and don't really want to get another guitar. Thought white over sunburst might be a good compromise, it was a not too uncommon refin back in the day as well

yeah agreed, when done well, a subtle bit of sunburst does look good in my opinion. Just debating whether or not to refinish it all olympic white and let the sunburst come through naturally, as its nitro

Black would look good too! Although I'm saving that particular look for my next bass purchase :)

FWIW I had m 1962 sunburst/rosewood board P bass refinished white to match Rick Will's telecaster and Bubs White's Strat in 1963.
Today I have white strat white tee and sunburst 62 reissue Precision, Go figure.

Maybe get one of those guitar fablon stickons that Quo came up with? D

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1484068915' post='3212421']
yeah agreed, when done well, a subtle bit of sunburst does look good in my opinion. Just debating whether or not to refinish it all olympic white and let the sunburst come through naturally, as its nitro
[/quote]
I would - and I would also stick with the tort

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1484076918' post='3212519']
FWIW I had m 1962 sunburst/rosewood board P bass refinished white to match Rick Will's telecaster and Bubs White's Strat in 1963.
Today I have white strat white tee and sunburst 62 reissue Precision, Go figure.

Maybe get one of those guitar fablon stickons that Quo came up with? D
[/quote]

nice!! Do you have any pics of your old P bass?

[quote name='itsmedunc' timestamp='1484077372' post='3212525']
Here it is -

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/269188-sold-limelight-precision-no-00125-olympic-white-over-sunburst-tort-guard/page__p__2861878__hl__limelight%20olympic%20sunburst__fromsearch__1#entry2861878"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry2861878[/url]
[/quote]

thank you! Kinda what I'm looking for, maybe a bit less sunburst, bit its the best guide yet, thanks!

Actually I'm going to disagree. I know Fender did this but they also didn't! So you can go either way. I think a worn sunburst with alder showing through looks great. I think a worn Oly with ash showing through looks great. I think a worn Oly with a sunburst showing through looks a mess. I totally love the bass instructor Scott Devine, but his Custom shop Precision looks horrible. Sorry Scott.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoVfamlcbYo

It's a personal thing. I'm sure other non-musos will be staring and will be wondering WTF!

Davo