Why become a member? ×

Step up from GK MB200 - what might I enjoy?

Beer of the Bass

I've been using a GK MB200 for a while, and while I like the sound I get from it and it's usually loud enough, I do notice it gets a squashy, compressed character when turned up louder. Since I'm now playing some gigs with a trio who get a little louder than I'm used to playing, I've been musing on whether I should look for something with a little more oomph. I don't have an absolute need to change, but I'm thinking about it. Budget is tight, and I would almost certainly be looking at used amps rather than new and saving up cash over the next few gigs.
I'm using a pair of DIY 1x12" cabs - these probably perform similarly to the TKS s112, just to give you an idea of what I'm working with. My cabs handle the MB200 without complaining, but I suspect there would be little to be gained from going for something much over 500 watts. I like the pokey, forward character of the GK, as while I'm not going for a very modern sound the GK is quite flattering to my passive, flatwound strung bass. So a larger GK might be an option. I've had a Markbass before and found it a little bland somehow and didn't like where the EQ centres were. I've tried the Orange TB500 and found the core tone a bit too grindy. I've had and enjoyed a couple of clean-running valve amps, but in practice the convenience of a smaller amp wins out so they stayed at home most of the time. Something with a touch of grit on demand could be fun but not essential. I think a 2U sized amp is the largest I'd want, but smaller is good.
So with that in mind, where would you be looking? A GK MB500 or MB fusion would do the job. I like the look of the Genz Streamliners and could probably stretch to a used Streamliner 600, but I've never checked one out. The Ampeg PF heads seem like they might be up my street, but I'd be a bit concerned about the reported reliability issues. Any other things I should be looking at?

I have a GK MB200 and it amazes me with tone and volume for such a tiny little thing. I used it a couple of weeks ago with 2 x 112 Barefaced cabs and it shook the stage!

It also performs brilliantly with my Barefaced one10 for smaller gigs. Marvelous little amps. :)

For more poke in a quality package and on a tight budget I'd be looking at the used EBS Reidmar on sale here for £190. What a bargain. (I have too many amps or it would already be mine.)

Frank.

Yeah, the MB500 would certainly do the job, and looking at used prices it seems to be about in the range I would be looking it. The MB fusion would definitely be stretching what I want to spend a bit - I hadn't realised that prices had risen quite so much in the last several years.
I've still got that feeling that I should look around at my options though, just in case something else out there appeals to me. It's curious, when I got the MB200 I was mostly thinking of the size, price and convenience rather than seeking out a particular character, but it does turn out to have a sound that works well for me, better than a few popular amps I've tried. Another option would be to hang on to the MB200 but pick up something cheap, loud and less compact to bring out for the occasional gig that needs it.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

I've had quite a few of these small heads (MB200, MB500, WTX260, WTX500, OTB500) but the best of the lot IMHO is the one I've kept - Aguilar Tonehammer 350.

I've used it to drive - under varying circumstances - everything from a Barefaced One Ten to a Barefaced 610, and I've played every type of bass you can imagine through it. Haven't yet found a weak spot.

If you like the Genz Benz sound, have a look at Jeff's latest, the Magellan. It has the added advantage of being at least £100 cheaper than the other small super class D jobs. You should check out the bigger GKs as well if you like the sound of the MB200 (I don't own one, but borrowed one once and found it a splendid little head).

I'm absolutely loving my GK MB Fusion. I've tried a few class D heads now, RH450, RH750, Shuttle 9.2, TH500 and have to say the GK is the one I've liked the most. Not that there was anything particularly wrong with any of the others, but the GK seems to be able to do everything I want. I had the TH before this, and the Shuttle before that. The GK is like a hybrid of both of them for me. It will do very modern hi-fi type tones, wind up the gain and you can get into thick, old school territory. With the added bonus that it's got 2 switchable gain channels.

I've had many amps over the years but always went back to GK as they have a great inherent sound - I never fully understood what "transparent" meant but I can take a guess that the GK sound isn't.

I briefly had an MB200 but I felt that I was going to have to push it too hard so went with the MB500 and absolutely love it. It has the same boost facility as the RB heads and I have the boost most of the way up.

You're also getting a master volume, well 2 using both channels, a contour control that is a knob rather than an on/off switch I never use it) and a mute button which comes in handy for switching your amp on when it's plugged into the PA so you don't get a pop when it goes on.

There's also extra stuff on the back as well that I don't use apart from the DI

• 1 month later...

I'm also a happy owner of a MB 500:
brilliant and punchy by itself, can be easily modified to softer sounds. Lots of power unless you do stadium-size venues, works fine to me both with double bass and bass guitar. Ok, I have a weakness for GK, I admit.

I have MB200 and MB800, if you like the Mb200 sound ( I agree it does compress when pushed), get an MB500 or 800. I haven't got anywhere near feeling the MB800 compress. I've also owned a Streamliner, i found it a bit dark and tone controls didn't really help too much for me, so check it out before going that route.

I wouldn't rule out the Ampeg PF500. The issues were sorted out a few years ago, so as long as you pick up a relatively recent one then you should be okay. Mine is a couple of years old and has worked flawlessly. They go for relatively low amounts second hand too, so you could probably justify keeping the MB200 as well.

Another possibility would be a GK 700RB - there was one for sale on here recently.

[quote name='Gottastopbuyinggear' timestamp='1488662954' post='3250946']
I wouldn't rule out the Ampeg PF500. The issues were sorted out a few years ago, so as long as you pick up a relatively recent one then you should be okay. Mine is a couple of years old and has worked flawlessly. They go for relatively low amounts second hand too, so you could probably justify keeping the MB200 as well.

Another possibility would be a GK 700RB - there was one for sale on here recently.
[/quote]

Since I first posted I've used the PF500 as a house rig and didn't like it much, but that may have been the cab. It was one of those Ampeg 4x10" cabs that seems to have a big hole in the high mid response between the 10"s and tweeter, just where I want to hear some clank and grind. It's entirely possible I'd like it better with my own cabs though.
Things like the GK 700RB could definitely tempt me if one comes up at the right price at the right time.
As it is, I can take my time over things, as my gigs for the next couple of months will either be in a place where it's easier to use the house rig or in another venue that should be relatively low volume. I've also got an 80 watt Dynacord valve amp I want to explore the possibilities of a little more, though I reckon the useful volume from that will be about on a par with the MB200.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1488669138' post='3250991']
I've also got an 80 watt Dynacord valve amp I want to explore the possibilities of a little more, though I reckon the useful volume from that will be about on a par with the MB200.
[/quote]

Granted that Dynacord only ever did 'clean' sounds, I'd still expect an 80W valve amp to kick out a LOT more useable volume than a S/S 200W.

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1488806112' post='3251880']

Granted that Dynacord only ever did 'clean' sounds, I'd still expect an 80W valve amp to kick out a LOT more useable volume than a S/S 200W.
[/quote]

It'll certainly be interesting to try it and see - it's out of action right now as I'm doing some tweaks to the preamp section. I used to have a 100 watt Carlsbro valve PA that never ran out of steam with my old band, but that band had a bit of a lighter feel about them. The drummer and guitarist I'm playing with now are a touch more rock than others I've played with, so this is kind of new territory for me! If the Dynacord does turn out to do it I'll be happy about that.
I still wouldn't mind having a higher powered SS amp tucked away to cover eventualities though.