Why become a member? ×

ABY, reverb and tone suckage

nige1968

So I thought I was being very clever, and would stick multiple effects inside a loop created with two ABY pedals so I only have to use one footswitch to engage multiple effects.

Problem I have is that when reverb is on, suddenly all the sound is sucked away somewhere, whether or not the effects part of the loop is engaged. At first I blamed the reverb pedal (Dr Green Bass Verb) and replaced it with a HoF, which ended up doing the same thing.

So how do I remedy this in the simplest, cheapest way possible? Could do with not chucking any more money at the pedalboard right now.

Here's the signal chain:

Tuner -- Compressor -- ABY (Y->A or B ):
'A' goes straight to 'A' of second ABY (A and B -> Y).
'B' goes to overdrive, octaver, chorus, delay, reverb and into 'B' of second ABY.

All are decent pedals (MXR, EHX, TC, Tech 21). Though the Stagg patch cables and Fender ABY boxes aren't the spendiest.

I suck at this. Someone put me out of my misery?

Edited by nige1968

Are yours the red Fender ABYs? I ask as I have experienced volume loss in one channel with mine when both A and B are engaged, which I thought rather defeated the point of it (I think it's something to do with the phasing of the pedals in the loops...?).

It made managing my levels a right pain, so I booted it in favour of a Boss LS-2 which has individual volume levels, but doesn't do exactly what I want. I still use the ABY, but not in the manner I had hoped I would be able, and put up with the LS-2 thanks to it's improved volume control. Maybe a 'better' ABY pedal is the actual solution...

If I read it correctly, you want to either have straight from comp to amp, or bring in the others at once with a single stomp?

Do you also want to mix the 'dry' and wet signals? Ie "A+B" on the second ABY?

If you simply want "wet or dry" then a single bypass looper will do it for you for around £25 ("off" is straight from input to output, and "on" engages whatever loop you have connected to it)

If you want to mix the signals with control over volumes, the SFX Loop Logic will do that, although it's more wonga.

Edited by Roland Rock

Think you'd need 'A or B' on both AB/Y boxes, rather than the 'A and B' which means two pedals to stomp on rather than one. The design of these makes it hard to switch both at the same time, so a bypass looper or a second-hand LS2 would do what you need.

As far as I know, there's no Behringer equivalent to the LS2. Happy to be corrected.

Thanks all.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1484226757' post='3213696']
As far as I know, there's no Behringer equivalent to the LS2. Happy to be corrected.
[/quote]

[url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-AB100-Instrument-Selector-Pedal/dp/B000KIPD5E"]AB100 (Line/instrument selector),[/url] not exactly the same but in the same niche.

[quote name='nash' timestamp='1484179627' post='3213422']
I'd say it's out of phase.
[/quote]

If that's my issue, and coincidentally both reverbs have the same issue, what's the most cost-effective way to address, do you reckon?

Edited by nige1968

[quote name='nige1968' timestamp='1484236045' post='3213836']
Thanks all.

[url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-AB100-Instrument-Selector-Pedal/dp/B000KIPD5E"]AB100 (Line/instrument selector),[/url] not exactly the same but in the same niche.

If that's my issue, and coincidentally both reverbs have the same issue, what's the most cost-effective way to address, do you reckon?
[/quote]

Well I'm using a Radial mix but I think they're expensive and rare. But basically buy a loop pedal with a phase invert. Maybe Lehle do one? I've stopped buying budget gear, I'd rather wait and buy a quality version of what I need.