Why become a member? ×

Adding a series/parallel switch to Stingray 5hh

lee650

Hi Everyone
ive have a gorgeous Honeyburst ray 5HH dated 2006. As such it is wired in series (as per the sterling 5hh). While it sounds great, I really wanted the classic stingray parallel tone on the back pickup. I didn't do my homework on the basses date (2006)when I bought it and was wondering if anyone has had a series parallel switch added to a ray to get extra tones, I really like the bass so would rather not move it on.also if anyone can recommend someone in the Lancaster (or North west) that could do this,that would be great.

Thanks loads

Edited by lee650

I've just deleted my previous post because, like you, I hadn't realised the early Stingrays were series.

Someone else will know for sure but, based on me working on Paul_S's Sterling5, I would have thought the easier thing would be to simply switch them both to parallel like the more modern rays. I suspect that's just a matter of swopping round a couple of the pickup conductors and should be also fully reversible. You wouldn't want one series and one parallel because the output difference between the two would be massive...

Cheers Andy
yeah I meant to say on both pickups as it would mess up the other settings. An online search basically came up with EBMM forums and they don't like modding,and advise selling and getting g a newer one,but I love the honeyburst which isn't available anymore. Id even be tempted to add an east 3 band MM circuit 😆

[quote name='lee650' timestamp='1484162352' post='3213212']
No it has the original preamp! I'm just thinking of replacing it,as it will have a parametric mid eq as well as the vintage voiced ray 2 band.
[/quote]
Ah....OK.

Well I think to make both pickups parallel rather than series should be very straightforward. Of the four conductor wires for each pickup, I'm pretty sure it should just need two of them swopping around. A local guitar tech should be able to sort it easily enough and it shouldn't need any additional switches, etc..