Why become a member? ×

Gear4music Double Bass....Warning.

thebigyin

Hi Basschatters back in July last year i purchased a Gear4music 3/4 Double Bass Carved Spruce top and Maple back and sides, i've played Electric Bass for many years on and off but always wanted a Double Bass i bought the mentioned Bass for £600 yes a budget bass but it came very poorly set up and more or less impossible to play i have since managed to get rid of it at a loss of £400
Anyone looking to purchase a Double Bass from Gear4music be warned of my mistake the bow it came with doesn't work, the stock strings sound bloody awful it was basically a pile of crap and an absolute waste of hard earned cash but been on cleaners wages was all i could afford it put me off Double Bass for life which is a shame as i had always wanted one and i will never know now if it's something i could of mastered?? So be warned don't buy a Double Bass from Gear4music cheers Bob

We do our best in the double bass section to warn against them, basically they are only good as ornamental objects! Some people have spent another £600 getting them playable, £1200 will buy a decent Gedo or European built Thomann bass including branded strings.

It's a shame it's put you off the upright challenge.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1484139841' post='3212949']
We do our best in the double bass section to warn against them, basically they are only good as ornamental objects! Some people have spent another £600 getting them playable, £1200 will buy a decent Gedo or European built Thomann bass including branded strings.

It's a shame it's put you off the upright challenge.

[/quote]

Hi Pete yes indeed i know £600 isn't much to some folk but it was the most expensive Bass i have ever bought but you learn by your mistakes and the couple who bought it from me....came down to see the Bass first and got it for £225 so i lost almost £400 cheers

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1484144350' post='3213007']
Thanks for the warning but surely if it was unplayable, you could have returned it to G4M for a refund?
[/quote]

That can be a difficult thing to judge when you're new to the double bass though. Everyone goes into it expecting it to be a bit more demanding than electric bass, but it can take a while to be sufficiently familiar with the instrument to know what a reasonable setup looks like.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='thebigyin' timestamp='1484141910' post='3212968']

Hi Pete yes indeed i know £600 isn't much to some folk but it was the most expensive Bass i have ever bought but you learn by your mistakes and the couple who bought it from me....came down to see the Bass first and got it for £225 so i lost almost £400 cheers
[/quote]

It seams you need to spend just a little bit more (the far east Gedos might be ok for similar money to the G4M but I don't think anyone here has bought one to know?) or wait for a good used one to come up, usually just after you buy a new budget one like the stetnor in the fs section now!

My personal opinion you buy something you would at least expect something playable and the mess about trying to return something within a set time ect
At least when i sold it on the people came to my house and they see what they was getting and the bloke reckoned he could sort it out plus they got nearly £400 off to what i payed they had the chance to take it or leave it